AVS Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
What do you think of the below information about Chest slam
Basically the summary of what he said was: fix the nulls and add a house curve, with a hint of adding beefier mains if you can.

This might work for people who listen quietly and/or with high WAF :p

It's just NOT practical to put the required amount of cones into LCR's.

I wanted to feel it in my chest, without a hint of distortion. That's the kind of fire power it takes.

I listen 15db above THX, so it took 16 PA-460's to keep up with my listening preference.
He mentioned in the video he listens at 15db below THX, which is 1000x less energetic (because db's aren't a linear scale system...)

For me it was never about reducing the load on my LCR's, they are capable of handling 2hz to 30khz as-is, and that's exactly how I run them. (I just wanted more, LOTS more! :p ;))

Mine are front corner-loaded, which helps boost the SPL and blend with the LCR's (my MBM's are time-aligned to the LCR's). Stealth deployment behind my fronts, you don't even notice they are there!
Would placing them behind me make them even louder and with less nulls? undoubtly...
I tried that with 4 of them and didn't like the sound of it nearfield. YMMV.
The middle of my room is a bit of a mid-bass blackhole, I had to use an overwhelming amount of force to get it resolved.

What I disagree with, is his test method. I'm not sure what his system has in it (probably just regular subs?), so it would have been much better to measure what was directly on the LFE track rather than his in-room response! Then we would know what is ACTUALLY on the disc.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Hi,
What do you think of the below information about Chest slam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afy10voc5kc
Re-watch the video. He is ignoring the huge spikes at 120 HZ and above. They don't look as big because of his house curve, but they are sharp transients that equate to chest kick. To the eye, the graph looks impressive below 80 Hz. But looks are deceiving. Don't forget the fact that because of human hearing, we need an extra 10 dB in the subwoofer, just so it feels equal to the upper frequencies.

Back in the day of "Chest Kick" we had 15" mains and played music extremely loud. HT systems usually have 10" or less for mains, and are calibrated to movie reference, which is limited to only 105 dB peaks, compared to 120 dB typical in rock music.

If you want more chest kick, play larger mains, and play them louder.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
It's funny that he's giving DIYsoundgroup the gears about having poorly designed speakers....

The reason people we're adding the mbm is to take off the load on the mains.

There is a specific design goal, they are made to be run with subs.... All the designs if I'm not mistaken.

The mbm was giving people what they were missing, more spl in the 40/50 to 100hz range. They are cheap, efficient and do the job very well. Whether or not the system had issues before is kinda moot, since it generally, it wasn't capable enough to produce the spl needed in the first place, to get what the person was after.

I've had a crap ton of subs, Ive had every design you can have, in every position. No matter what, NF ALWAYS has the best feel (as far as slam is concerned) you can have (like I do now)

a massive amount of subs up front, and it will never be the same as NF. Those subs up front used to be NF in my last room and I miss is terribly. It's still easily over 140dB if I want it to but the feel isn't there.... So I'm building 2 of Ricci's SKrams for NF to fill my addiction lol. NF horns are just what the doctor ordered.
How close was your NF setup?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Orbit shifters VNF... did the couch leather fray like a worn flag?

SKRAM’s should be insane as well.

Chris
They were.... Excessive lol. The Rams should be fun, have all the wood cnc'd just need time to actually put them together. It's a low priority right now though.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts