Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was lucky to get into the group buy -- a special thanks to Rick!!

It arrived about a week ago, and last weekend, I took it out and tried it out. Following the directions, I plugged it in preheated the kettle 5 - 6 minutes. I then placed the hardened coconut oil from my prepackaged popcorn (8 oz from HTX) and let it melt. Once melted, I placed the corn and salt in and watched with amazement as the corn popped. It smelled wonderful. Once completed, I tried the popcorn -- which was very tasty -- except that it was chewy. The rest of the family thought the same. My wife commented that the microwave popcorn tasted better as it melted in one's mouth and didn't have to chew!!

Thinking that the 8 oz packaged popcorn was perhaps bad, I tried one of the 6 oz packages (also purchased from HTX) and followed the same popping method. The popcorn from this batch was also chewy!!

I've read the FAQ about popcorn "expansion" ratios and would believe the HTX popcorn I purchased wouldn't be chewy or brittle, especially with both the 6oz and 8oz packages both chewy. Expiration dates on the packages were good, but I noticed the corn in both packages are not vacuum packed.. Plus they sat in a UPS truck for almost a week..

Should I be doing anything different? Any ideas?

Thanks, Wayne

ps. The 8 oz package is from Country Harvest. It states to preheat kettle for 5-7 minutes and the pour all ingredients in together.

The 6 oz package is from Mega-Pop. It states to preheat the kettle 3-4 minutes and add the oil. Then add 3 kernals. Pour remaining kernals in when those 3 pop.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wayne,

I too bought a 6oz Theatre popper with the group buy. I didn't buy any prepackaged popcorn because I wanted to be sure we liked the popcorn before buying a whole lot of it. I think its just the variety of popcorn you are using. Go to the store and buy some other brands. We use Orville Reddenbachers and it seems to be very tender. I don't think sitting around would make the corn tough. It just wouldn't probably pop as well (more old maids).

DougK

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Chewy popcorn is usually the result of to much steam in the popcorn maker. I have a cheap whirly pop machine that you use stove top, and i felt the popcorn was a little chewy also. I took the top down to my shop, put a few more steam holes in the top, and now the popcorn is excellent.

I know your machine is much more complicated, but the steam idea may be worth looking into.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I'm stuck with 2 cases of this stuff -- I guess I'll experiment a little more this weekend :)

I actually left the left door open while popping to allow steam to escape, but will try to leave both doors open to see if the popcorn becomes less chewy. Just hope none of it escapes out!!

Wayne

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah, it's generally the steam. I have the same problem with my 6 oz. What I do is let it pop with the doors mostly open, and once it's done, I let it sit for 10-15 minutes. That gives the heater enough time to dry out the popcorn.

Once the popcorn is dried out more, it becomes much more like you'ld expect.

Good Luck!

Grey

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a 40 year old 8oz machine that I rebuilt last year. I've noticed that some of the cheaper brands of popcorn can be a bit on the tough side.....although this isn't always the case. I bout one of those 50lb bags at a Sam's Club and found it to be quite good.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It might be that the two popcorn brands I got are on the tough side -- Contry Harvest and Mega-Pop from HTX when I ordered my popper. I'll try some different corn that I'll purchase locally -- any suggestions?

I think the likely culprit is steam though. I left both doors open and let the popcorn fly today. Only a dozen or so actually got out of the popper. It made a little difference on chewiness and toughness, but not much. I think the kettle lid is keeping too much of the steam in until the popcorn has enough volume to escape. To bad the lid wasn't vented with little holes to let the steam out of the kettle earlier. It would make cleaning a little more difficult. I don't think I can wait 15 minutes for each batch to dry out. Eventually, I want to bring the popcorn popper to a few church functions...

Anyways - I'm still open to suggestions. I can't stand it when the wife and kids ask for microwave popcorn instead :)

Wayne

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I bought the pre-packaged stuff from Vogel and tried some local sample packs, but many have added butter flavoring and too much salt. Lately, for just my wife and I, I use Orville Reddenbachers (from Costco), Hain Sunflower oil, and some Hain fine sea salt. using the measures that came with my 6 oz popper.

I pour some salt in the 6 oz measure and fill with kernels. I fill the 2 oz measure not quite to the top with the oil. I heat up the kettle (closed) for about 8 min or so. Open the lid, pour in the oil. Wait a moment. Pour in the kernels with salt slowly, close the lid, wait a few minutes and it's done. I try to kill the kettle before the last few kernels pop, to prevent smoking. I leave one door 1/4 way open, the other closed and the bottom metal thingy pulled outward. I get a few old maids in the bottom, but the pop corn is always light with a delicate crunch. My wife thinks it's perfect so I'm happy :). I'll save the pre-packs for larger parties and mix them in.

Carey

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I guess I missed this thread. When popcorn is first popped, it smells great because of the steam coming out of the corn filled kernel. However, it doesn't get that crispness until it dries out a little. I would try popping some and then leave it in the machine under the heat lamp with the bottom heater on for 15 minutes to see if it gets crispy. That will tell you if the popcorn itself is a problem. If it doesn't dry out and get light and crispy then it looks like a popcorn problem. As tempting as it is to catch the corn in your hand as it comes out of the kettle, most will attest that this corn will be chewier than if it sits for a little while. I think it will be fine, you just have to get used to the process. Also, if the kettle lid is not opening up after the kettle if full, you will not allow all of the steam to get out and it will make the popcorn tougher until it fully dries out.

..Doyle

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've found that letting the oil melt before adding the kernels tends to make the popcorn tough.

My process is as follows, and seems to make the best batches.

let the coconut oil melt in the pouch under the heatlamp while the kettle heats.

When the kettle is hot add everything at once. Leave the doors open.

When popping is done, mix the popped corn about, blending the corn that has more oil and salt with the corn that came out of the poper last. Let sit for about 3-5 minutes.

Box and serve.

Works for me!

·
Registered
348 Posts
i just pop the corn i add the corn pore the oil and add the flavorcal it pops then i pop a seccond batch sitr it then scoop it depends on how hany i have if i have more than 4 i pop a third batch and i use peanut oil caues i cant find any coconut oil but till i use up my oil i wont get any i alsi got a 25 lb bag of fofcorn it is the same price as thoes little store baught ones

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.