AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dish 6000 with 8VSB and 8PSK mods. A couple of weeks ago I deleted all my DTV stations and did a rescan. Everything showed up, including WGN-DT on channel 75-1. However when I go to tune in 75-1 it sits for awhile then drops to 19-1, which is the actual channel WGN-DT broadcasts on. Prior to the rescan I had no problems getting 9-1 to tune in (never did get 75-1 to work. The box is running the latest software. So are others seeing this or do a have a FUBR 6000???

Thanks - Rick

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
WGN has its PSIP generator set to send virtual channel numbers 9-1 and 75-1 as mirrored channels coming out of actual channel 19-1. WB wants people to be able to find their broadcasts on 75-1 all over the country. The 75-1 should have held though. The Hughes built receivers show 9-1 and 9-2 because thay haven't updated their database.

As of 1/2/03 WGN is multicasting 19-1 and 19-2 remapped to 9-1 and 9-2 and mirrored to 75-1 and 75-2.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the exact same "problem" with my 6000. Rescanned and came back channel 75 mapped to channel 9. However, in the EPG of the 6000, it shows up as channel 19. It has been this way for months. I manually entered channel 19, and it mapped to channel 9. It still shows as channel 19 in the EPG, though.

Tim

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I spent 30 min on the phone with Dish, got nowhere with them. I talked to an engineer at WGN and he said that they done alot of testing with other HDTV receivers and had no problems, but haven't tested with Dish since Dish won't supply a receiver to them. He did say that in the next couple of months they were replacing their PSIP generator and would try to let me know when it was done so we could see if the problem went away.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got this response from Dish:

I just skimmed through your e-mail and the post on AVSForums... According to the thread the station in question (WGN-DT CH 19; WB affiliate) has more than one "Major Channel" within the PSIP data stream. Thus WGN is trying to map the broadcast channel (19) to channel 09-01, and 75-01. Currently the model 6000 has issues parsing the PSIP data when there are "Multiple Majors" in the PSIP data stream. Essentially the 6000 will disregared one of the two channels. Currently the only way to remedy is to have the station change their numbering convention in regards to channel mapping (e.g. 9-1 & 75-1 = Bad, on the other hand 9-1, and 9-2 = Good). In the near future the model 6000 will be able to handle "Multiple Majors" via a software upgrade (no ETA on release). In the mean time we will try to contact the station enginners, hopefully they will be willing to work with us.

Thx,

[Name removed per request of the author]

·
Registered
159 Posts
I contacted Dish the other day about WB50 and got the same exact response from the Tier 1 CSR. They are aware of the problem, are working on the s/w update but ask us to ask the STATIONS to drop the multiple majors. Dish claims it isnt just their receiver, they mentioned a Sony receiver also has the problem(?)

Now that we have a channel to them, I would suggest all Dish 6000 owners make a friendly plea for them to at least temporarily drop the multiple majors.

Chicago people: did this ever get resolved? Did you get WGN to drop multiple majors or do you still have to do without?

What I am afraid of is the WB local stations coming back and saying 75 is a NETWORK requirement, in which case we have to lobby the network!! UGH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.