AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to HDTV. I live on Chicago's far south-side, and have been reading the posts here for about a month. My problem is channels 5-1 and 50-1 . All others (CBS, ABC, WGN, WTTW, FOX and PAX) come in strong. I have a roof ant.:(

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in Bolingbrook and I have a DirectTV sytem, but I do not want to upgrade to the DirectTV HD system. I want to get my HD signals OTA but have been wrestling with the choice of what type of antenna do I need. (Plus where should I put it? Outside or in attic?) It looks like you are getting good signal strength from your antenna. What kind do you have? and where did you place it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have the $29.99 radioshack antenna in my attic and get every digital station all the way up here in Lake County so you don't really need an expensive one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well! :) It seems like that a decent antenna will probably work for me. I will get one this weekend and try it out. I will post another thread to let everyone know how it turned out. Thanks for the info.:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
:D Man! Am I happy! After reading all of the posts, I decided to go out

and buy an antenna and try to mount it in the attic. I went to Radio Shack and picked up a VU-120XR roof mount antenna for 50 bucks. I also picked up a rotator ($69.99)and a 5ft metal mast. ($8) (Just in case I needed them)

Even though I have a large attic, the antenna was still fairly large (In hindsight I probably should have gotten their smaller roof/attic antenna for 30 bucks, but Oh well...) I found out that the mast was too long (5ft) so I temporarily mounted it to a paint roller stick. After some limited cursing and fitting the antenna between the rafters, (took about 2 hours) I was able to run some RG6(100ft) down from the attic, through the house and to the basement where my Mits. WS-65611 is located.

I connected the cable to the Ant-DTV input (intergrated HD tuner) and had the TV run it's channel memory program. After about 10 - 12 min., stand back, what do you know, Im getting CBS, NBC, ABC, WGN, PAX, WCIU and a couple of other spanish stations I hav'nt even seen before.

Im pretty sure that im getting the HD signal from the main stations because the TV displays how the broadcasts are being shown (HD Standard, HD 16:9, 4:3 Standard, etc.) I turned on WGN-News and I swear, I could see the pimples in Allison Payne's face. Plus, I believe that I saw something that said that NBC broadcasts "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" in HD, saw that last night and it looked fantastic.

I couldnt sit there and go through all the channels because I had to get up and go to work Saturday, but when I get home, Im going to permanently secure that antenna in the attic and check the channels again when I return. (Im taking the Rotator back because It looks like I dont need it, (can't turn that big thing around in the attic anyway) and I'll use a hack saw to cut the mast down a little.)

So, to all you folks that posted your threads on antennas, it looks like you were right. Thanks for all of your imput, it really helped me a lot.

(Now if I can see if NBC will be showing one of the NBA Finals games in HD, that will make this all the better!)

Once again, Thanks for all you help.

:D :) :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Uhhh, the news is broadcast in standard def. It's just a digital signal of a SDTV broadcast, which looks better than most other signals because it's clean and uses much less compression than DirecTV and doesn't have the noise of analog cable or OTA. An HDTV broadcast looks even better, and when something has been actually "filmed" in HDTV like a sports program (like on HDNet) it looks like you're watching through a picture window.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.