AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This site is an overabundance of info. We moved into a loft in Chicago, and I need help with suggestions for speakers and placement. I may need to bring someone in, if anyone has suggestions for downtown Chicago area vendors. I'd like to budget $1000 for the hardware needed for the initial 5:1 HT speaker install.

Currently Have:
  • 46" Samsung LCD (LNT4661F)
  • Phillips DVP5960 Upconverting DVD
  • Comcast HD Dual Tuner DVR
  • Nintendo Wii
  • JVC RX-778B Receiver
  • (2) Wharfedale Valdus 400 Mid Towers
Looking to purchase/add:
  • Surround Speaker System
  • Onkyo TX-SR606
  • Blu-Ray DVD
  • Additional speakers to other areas of the condo for music
  • iPod Adapter
  • PC/Laptop

Living Room dimensions:
  • Full wood floors
  • While its a full open room (w/ Living room, dining room & kitchen), the approximate area for TV viewing would be:

13" (from LCD wall to back of furthest couch & Drywall) x 21" (open on one site, and full length window wall other)
  • Ceilings: 12" (Concrete)

Problems:

- We have neighbors on the wall where our rears could go.

- I don't have a clear non-intrusive path to run wires to rear channels. No walls, hardwood floor, exposed ceiling, or concrete wall + windows.

- It looks as if the sub would be exposed.

- Would like to spend less than $1000 on speakers

If anyone can provide more advice, it would be appreciated!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't have any specific recommendations for your situation, but you might try talking with Saturday Audio on Belmont. They have some nice speakers at reasonable prices.

Justin

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I also recommend Saturday. I've bought from there as well as Decibel Audio in Chicago, and I live in California.

you already own Wharfedale, but I find the PSB Image line at Saturday to be particularly good deals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/14232632

I also recommend Saturday. I've bought from there as well as Decibel Audio in Chicago, and I live in California.

you already own Wharfedale, but I find the PSB Image line at Saturday to be particularly good deals.

While I don't have any big problem with the Wharfedale's, I think it would please the wife a bit more to move to the wall mounted or in wall solutions for front and center channels. It will give it a more 'sleek' look around the living room, and also allow me to hide more of the speaker wire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts