Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I get my HD Locals thru an antenna pointed at Chicago and using my Directv Mitsu HD set top box (but I don't currently subscribe to directv so I only use that box for ota HD).

My antenna went out of whack about a month or two ago due to some bad winds, I remember cbs was having all sorts of troubles up and down in power etc etc (gosh thats been for months and months ok a year + hehe) and at one point I was getting cbs solid at 70 singal strength, then the next day it was in the 20 range - go figure...

But since that windstorm I haven't been out there messing with it to re-adjust it to find the singals again, so I haven't been able to watch any local OTA HD.

Which brings me to the question, will they do the superbowl in true hd this weekend? And are those power issues and FCC issues all resolved so they are at 75% or more SOLID reliable viewing power?

If so it will be worth going out there and re-adjusting the thing to get cbs for the game this weekend, but if not I am not gonna go up on that roof and freeze my butt off only to find cbs antennas are down or at %40 power or they aren't even doing HD superbowl or something...which wouldn't surprise me if either or both of those were the case (no hd or no power to the antenna).

Sorry if this has been mentioned in other posts, I have read around for a bit but most of the talk seemed to be about CBS and Directv feeds, and without directv I am stuck with the OTA feed which I won't attempt adjusting if cbs in chicago is still screwy or isn't gonna do the superbowl in hd.

Bill

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Yes, the Superbowl will be in true HD. Yes, WBBM-DT has finished their antenna work and they are now at 100% of their authirozed power. Bottom line is that they're as good as they're going to get at this time.

So go ahead and get your antenna back up and enjoy. By the way, there is a VERY long thread in this forum about WBBM-DT. Near the end of it there's a post from a WBBM-DT engineer who says that if you've tried everything to get an outside antenna to work, e-mail him and they might send someone out to see if they can help get you going. Probably too late for anything this weekend.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, CBS coverage of the Super Bowl is in true HD. If you still need help, e-mail me by Friday afternoon. [email protected] . We have solved many problems over the phone.

Tom Schnecke

Director, Broadcast Operations & Engineering

WBBM/CBS 2 DT-3

Chicago

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the chime in Tom :)

Well I got everything coming in at 100% pegged signals except cbs (as usual) altho being winter and having it snowing maybe was affecting tonights singal more than other nights...

I got 48-53 readings on cbs 2-1, ALMOST enough to watch csi, yet it was very jerky and broken sound, tried to finetune left and right a bit but dummy me had to go and pick the COLDEST day of the century to do this hehe, it was VERY cold and I couldn't seem to get above 53 so after about 10 mins I gave up with numb hands hehe...

Now, tomorrow or Sunday who knows maybe cbs will come in better for me, I do recall in the past that one somedays I got cbs and others I didn't...

I bet if I still lived up in Palatine IL I would have no problems, just out here in the sticks of Indiana (Valparaiso) I am really pushing it to get cbs thru OTA (altho again all other ota stuff is 100%)...

Maybe I should try aiming towards South Bend Indiana to see if I can pick up their CBS - altho I wonder if they will have the game on in HD from south bend's cbs and I have never tried getting their station in but I guess I have nothing to loose except a bit more feeling in my fingers LOL...

I am about to move to east lansing michigan in about a month, hopefully once I am there I can get cable with hd, or maybe their ota will be better for cbs programing...or heck with my luck I won't even have access to the directv birds (dunno havent seen the house yet in person its being built right now, its for a new community my wife will run and is a work transfer for us).

Bill :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.