AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in cheserton,in about 35 miles southeast of chicago across the lake.

can anybody get a decent signal?

i get a constant 37-44.

im using the vu90xr radio shack antenna.

will a preamp strengthen the signal at all?

:cool:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jim_green_1
i live in cheserton,in about 35 miles southeast of chicago across the lake.

can anybody get a decent signal?

i get a constant 37-44.

im using the vu90xr radio shack antenna.

will a preamp strengthen the signal at all?

:cool:
They are currently still only at 2/3rds power. No idea when AT&T cable will fix all their leakage and WBBM will be able to go to full power. But even then, their signal is shaped to not broadcast much power across the lake.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks chris..

but which way is it shaped then?

they say on their website www.cbs2chicago.com that they know they have a problem with their signal going to the north and the west..

well, i live south and east and it's still bad.

·
Registered
143 Posts
On a related note: if you can get a decent analog signal on channel 2, what are the odds that you can get a decent digital signal on channel 2.1?

Fletch

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jim_green_1

they say on their website www.cbs2chicago.com

From that site search for the word "antenna" brings forth a link to

http://www.cbs2chicago.com/site_content.asp?PAGE=392

Which refers the reader wanting more info about WBBM HDTV to avsforum. Looks like Chuck DeCourt was willing to expose all aspects of discussions here to the public. Good for WBBM.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletch97
On a related note: if you can get a decent analog signal on channel 2, what are the odds that you can get a decent digital signal on channel 2.1?

Fletch
I'm in West Chicago and I receive a good(not great) analog signal, but my digital signal is around 40 with many breakups. All other digital channels show a strength of 100. It has been mentioned many times that if you receive a strong analog signal you should get a good digital signal, but I have found that to be untrue. There was a comment on another thread that a strong analog signal may cause interference with the digital channel in the set top box. I beleive Jim Burns had corrected someone's signal using an adapter of some sort.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tried to put an antenna mounted amplifier on it from radio shack (15-1108 $39.99)

didn't do a darn thing but lose my uhf channels...

climbed back up and took it off..

i heard that channelmaster pre-amp actually work? anyone else hear anything?

thanks...

Jim

·
Registered
143 Posts
Right now I've got a little Terk dish antenna and I get channel 2 okay. My Hughes stb is on back order and it should be in by 6/12. I bought the Rat Shack 80" antenna and I'm going to see what I can get in Libertyville (will install it when I get the stb). I'll let you know what I find. I'm sort of on a hill (as much of a hill as you can find in Chicagoland) with no buildings around so I am very optimistic. Do digital signals have a problem with ghosting? I plan on leaving the terk signal in the line when I add the yagi in. Will this cause a problem as the two antennas will be very far apart (greater than 75')?

Fletch

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alright...i'm running out of ideas here..

i tried the radio shack amplifier. no go.

i tried the channel master pre-amp model 7776. no go.

i increased my antenna from the 90xr to to 190xr.

this thing was massive. it looked like i could get a signal from the moon.

still, no increase in signal strenghth.

i give up.

if channel 2 doesn't want me to watch there station, then screw 'em.

i'm taking them out of my channel lineup.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just curious... what is the farthest that people are able to consistently watch wbbm from? There isn't much talk out here about it these days so either everyone is getting it or everyone is sick of discussing it. BTW - I am STILL waiting for my stb which is STILL on backorder. My patience is wearing thin.

Fletch

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by glowkiss

It has been mentioned many times that if you receive a strong analog signal you should get a good digital signal, but I have found that to be untrue.
I must completely aggree with your statement.

I have a somewhat poor Channel 2 but receive Channel 3 Digital with the same on and off success reported by many here.

Channel 7 is poor digital 52 is flawless. Channel 9 and 11 analog are just impossible to see filled with so much noise and interference, snow and ghosting but 19 (75) and 47 are just fine with digital signal strength of 80 and above.

On the other hand Channel 5 is very viewable but digital 29 breaks up the most of all digital channels (except 3).

IS CHANNEL 3 EVER GOING TO BROADCAST AT FULL POWER?

IS CBS-DT EVER GOING TO SWITCH TO ANOTHER CHANNEL LIKE SEVERAL CHANNELS SEEM TO BE DOING AROUND THE COUNTRY?

JUST WHAT RESPONSIBILITY DOES CBS HAVE TO AT&T IN REFERENCE TO BACKING OFF FROM CHANNEL 3 WITH FULL BROADCAST POWER? (IT HAS BEEN A LONG TIME)

·
Registered
680 Posts
I agree with you Gmichael, I too am completely disgusted with the situation, seems neither WBBM or AT&T give a darn about the situation. At 55 miles west I can get a watchable signal about 50% of the time, mostly later in the evenings (with Samsung STB only)(DTC-100 rarely picks up anything at all). I almost refuse to watch any more CBS (the exception being the times the signal reaches out here). If CBS really cared they would turn up to full power and then AT&T-Comcast would take some action, until then they will just sit back and wait for the problem to go away. Their customer service is just one reason people are dropping them in droves. C'mon WBBM/AT&T let's get something done, this whole situation is absolutely ridiculous. 3rd larges tv market in the country and no reliable CBS-DT, RIDICULOUS!!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The reason they don't "just turn the power up" has been stated many times by many different people on this Forum, but here goes:
  • WBBM's analog signal has several thousand times more viewers than their digital one.
  • Most of those viewers receive it via cable.
  • Most of those cable systems move analog channel 2 to 3.
  • WBBM-DT is on channel 3.
  • WBBM-DT is interfering with WBBM analog on cable.

So, WBBM could please a handful of viewers in outlying regions and deliver a signal that the Neilson ratings don't even count yet OR interfere with their own analog signal on cable and annoy millions.

The only rational approach is to work with AT&T to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well stated, Chris.

The real source of the problem with WBBM-DT is the FCC, in my opinion -- 3 is an absolutely asinine channel assignment. I can't for the life of me figure out why they picked that channel when there are seemingly a dozen workable options in the UHF band.

I fear that this problem isn't going to be solved anytime soon.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Burgess
Well stated, Chris.
Thank you. We've had a lot of opportunities to analyze this problem, and refine our explanations.

Quote:

The real source of the problem with WBBM-DT is the FCC, in my opinion -- 3 is an absolutely asinine channel assignment. I can't for the life of me figure out why they picked that channel when there are seemingly a dozen workable options in the UHF band.
WBBM tried several times to get the FCC to give them a different channel. They tried to trade channels with a different station.

The problem with finding a different channel is the ripple effect. Change a channel here, a bunch of channels will have to be changed in other cities - and so on.

The FCC should have never assigned any VHF DTV channels in the first place.

Quote:

I fear that this problem isn't going to be solved anytime soon.
True. The cable companies moved analog 2 to 3 in the first place specifically because of leakage of OTA channels into their systems. All cable systems have leaked since they were first built. The problem was utterly predictable.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Williams
The only rational approach is to work with AT&T to resolve the problem.
Yes, but how many years do we give them to solve the problem? I'm certainly no expert, but if they are ok with 2/3 power it seems like the basic interference problem must have been solved somehow. So the extra bit of power would cause interference again??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.