AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bring Wrigley Field into your living room and witness a historic cross-town classic first.

WGN-TV broadcasts the Cubs vs. Sox on June 16th in high definition television (HDTV) on its WGN-DT signal, Channel 19. Viewers who have HDTV receivers will be able to view this special broadcast in Chicago.

WGN-TV will use the 1080i format for the Cubs broadcast.

For more information go to www.wgntv.com

·
Registered
457 Posts
This is GREAT!!!! Now I'll be at 4 of the 6 inter-league games btwn these 2: 3 in person and 1 almost in person!!!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Quote:
I hope HDNet picks up this game.
It does not look like this will happen. The HDnet schedule says they are showing the Astros-Rangers game at the same time as the Cubs/Sox. Grrr... why can't those Texans play at night. Please, please please rain in Texas that day. Since an HDnet truck is involved with the WGN transmission, that might be our only way to see the game. At least for those Cubbies (or ahem.. White Sox) fans who don't have the pleasure to live in Chicago.

I saw the first game, and it was great!!!!

Regards,

Hal

·
Registered
729 Posts
Wow, this is great news. I've been bashing WGN all spring for not getting any HD going, and now I will stop and be grateful. This is an absolutely wonderful announcement and (hopefully) a giant step forward toward more HD sports here in Chicago and elsewhere.

Problem is, I have tickets to the game and was going to go. *sigh* What a conundrum, go to the game or watch at home in HD...

·
Registered
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fletch97
When someone asks this question: 'go to the game or watch on HDTV?' - that's scary to me.

Fletch
As Mark Cuban says, "HDTV -- it's like being there!" I could sell the tickets for big bucks and have an HDTV party here at the house. The money would pay for quite a bit of beer and steaks. And all the drunk Sox fans at Cubs/Sox games are so incredibly obnoxious that I'd just about rather stay at home.

To get back on topic, thanks for the great news, wgntvamy. Let's hope that this is the beginnings of a pattern of HDTV baseball telecasts on Chicago's #1 sports station, WGN!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Arrrggh!

This is the second Cubs game broadcast on HDTV and I've been at both!!

I must be lucky or something.. Look for me drunk in the bleachers!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
This is great. The last HD Cubs game looked wonderful - possibly the best looking HD sports I've ever seen. I plan to record it on my HiPix and D-VHS.

Maybe we could set up a screen on Waveland Ave for all those folks on the rooftop bleachers who are now blocked by the new netting?

·
Registered
143 Posts
[Way off topic] Can you really not see the game up there? I am supposed to go to a game on a rooftop in July. But then again, no one actually watches the game up there.

Fletch

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wgntvamy

For more information go to www.wgntv.com
I love how this is noted right in the middle of the home page.

That is exactly how HD needs to me promoted to encourage people to think and buy the requisite equipment :)

Cheers!

DAve.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I remember them making a big deal out of the broadcast on the morning news last year. Hopefully they'll do more than 1 games this year!

Fletch

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
When the Cubs game was broadcast in HD last year, weren't they using the HDNet crew, shortly before HDNet got up and running?

What are they using to do the game this year? Is Wrigley HD-equipped? Or does WGN have their own HD equipment?

--

Okay, I read the article on the site that 'wgntvamy' referenced, and they say there:

WGN will be using two crews, combining Trio Video’s digital truck and HD Net’s HDTV truck. While Cubs commentators Chip Caray and Joe Carter will cover the game on both signals, many other aspects of the HDTV game will be different, from the shots chosen, to the replays shown.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.