AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a SIR-T150 and have tuned in NBC,ABC,WGN+FOX. What's the lowdown on what I should expect. If and when CBS gets on-line is this a UHF or VHF signal? Will it be more difficult to receive than the others? Is there a accurate station list which shows all current available stations?

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
32 Posts
Check out titantv.com. When you register with your zip code you get a guide with local channel information and programming on it. If I remember correctly you do not get info on HBO, SHO, or HDNet, but It helped me sort out what local stations were broadcasting.

Dan

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
TitanTV is not the best place for info! Their info is usually quite dated!

The situation here in Chicagoland is NBC is up (channel 29) and only does the Tonight Show in HD. ABC is up (channel 52) and they do a lot of their primetime in HD as well as Saturday and Sunday movies in HD. FOX is up (channel 31) but I don't know why as they do NO HD at all and they intend to never do HD (this is national FOX desicion) in the future. They say that 480p is "good enough" but what they really mean is they are to cheap to do HD! WGN is up (channel 19) and has done one Cubs game in HD and that's it! They only are up part time and at low power. CBS is a REAL mess! They are doing what AT&T tells them to do so they have decided that they are going to eventually be up and running at 25% power on a permanent basis, so unless you live within 8-10 miles of the transmitter you can forget getting CBS-HD OTA. The only way anyone get them is through select AT&T cable systems. You can also bypass the BS of WBBM and get Dish Network and get the CBS National HD feed. PBS is Not up and they are crying poverty as to the reason for not being up. Problems is they have the highest paid executives for PSB stations so basically because of the greed of the executives we get no PBS-HD!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I did finally hear back from WBBM and was told the antenna is up and late December is the target date for HD broadcasting.

I will try our cable hook-up to see if we get CBS in Mundelein.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TS45
Thanks for the quick replies. I did finally hear back from WBBM and was told the antenna is up and late December is the target date for HD broadcasting.

I will try our cable hook-up to see if we get CBS in Mundelein.
If you check on this forum you'll see a very long and heated discussion on WBBM-DT. If I were you I would take the late December date with a grain of salt. WBBM-DT has posted many different start up dates but they always seem to run into 'last minute' problems that force them to delay th start of broadcasting. If you read some of the post from Bob Ross of CBS in NYC they would REALLY like to get this problem resolved but from an end users prospective we're all getting just a bit tired of this entier mess.

And good luck trying to get an answer out of AT&T Narrowband on if they'll carry the signal. If you've lived in Mundelein for any length of time you'll notice all the fiber pulls up on the phone poles that have just been sitting there since 1999, no terminated to anything. AT&T decided to stop the upgrade of the Libertyville/Mundelein/Wauconda/Grayslake system due to their stock price tanking and haven't done anything since. I you do call them about WBBM-DT why don't you ask them about cable modem service, until recently it was always six month away, last time I called they don't even give a date anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.