AVS Forum banner

8581 - 8600 of 13336 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
where did wls on rf 44 go?

i detect no signal as of 5 am

permit expire? fuse blow? they forget to pay their electric bill?

inquiring minds want to know

kd9fz

comments, criticisms and questions of sanity are always welcome

·
Registered
8 Posts
At 6 am this morning channel 7's signal was gone (I believe on RF44 but can't really tell). I am able to get the other signal (RF7?) but very weak. Looked at WLS web site but didn't see any info. Have I lost channel 7 again for good or is this just a temporary thing?

Live Villa Park.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcavalier /forum/post/18887016

At 6 am this morning channel 7's signal was gone (I believe on RF44 but can't really tell). I am able to get the other signal (RF7?) but very weak. Looked at WLS web site but didn't see any info. Have I lost channel 7 again for good or is this just a temporary thing?

Live Villa Park.

Thanks much.
I'm getting WLS-TV on RF 44, but weak at only around 35% compared to 85% on RF 7. I typed in 44.1 (my box uses . after the RF channel, only after I deleted WSNS from the channel lineup. SO I don't know what the reason was that people weren't getting them on RF 44. For me, WLS-TV has always been weak when on the UHF while on the VHF, they're strong for only 4.75kw. Maybe they don't have their signal tilted just right. I don't know. I still find it ironic that people much further from Chicago can get WLS-TV on RF 44 much stronger than someone who's closer to Chicago (like me).

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,585

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcavalier /forum/post/18887016

Live Villa Park.

Thanks much.

Looks like they were working on it. 2-6 AM is their maintenance window on weekends.

·
Registered
399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/18885004

Why would anyone want this? The current arrangement allows for both sports and CW to be in HD at the same time. Your proposal would result in CW going to SD any time WGN airs sports.

- Trip

They can still rerun the cw stuff late night in HD on the main channel.

·
Registered
17,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon /forum/post/18888919

They can still rerun the cw stuff late night in HD on the main channel.

Assuming their contract with CW allows it, or the ratings justify such a rerun.

- Trip

·
Registered
948 Posts
KLJB-18 Quad Cities and WMBD-31 Peoria are coming pretty well tonight. Also WWTO-10 LaSalle, which I almost never get.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Good News

WGN 9.2 is vacant/dark Gone!

·
Registered
128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_fun85 /forum/post/18901719

Good News

WGN 9.2 is vacant/dark Gone!

Not so -- I'm still getting the "LATV is no longer part of our digital programming..." message on 19.4.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Another great tropo night- South Bend is screaming, including WNIT-34 and low-power WMVS-69. Also grabbed WWRS-52 out of somewhere north of Milwaukee, and WAOW-9 out of Wausau (on RF9, on the back side of my Winegard 4400). The usual suspects from Grand Rapids, WTLJ-54 and WOTV-41, are also in on the party.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Oh wow, WBND-57 ABC South Bend also simulcasts on RF57 in old-timey analog. Cool!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,593

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithOTA /forum/post/18902625

Another great tropo night- South Bend is screaming, including WNIT-34 and low-power WMVS-69. Also grabbed WWRS-52 out of somewhere north of Milwaukee, and WAOW-9 out of Wausau (on RF9, on the back side of my Winegard 4400). The usual suspects from Grand Rapids, WTLJ-54 and WOTV-41, are also in on the party.

I'm with you...WTLJ is in, WOTV is trying, Milwaukee is even screaming better out here! WWRS-DT is 40 miles northwest of Milwaukee. Nice hit on WAOW, haven't got it yet! But tonight, I got a brand new channel. First timer.

Don't laugh.

You ready?

WOCK-CD, RF 4, 300 watts from Hancock. Yes, THAT channel 4!

All my converter box resolves, however, is Mega-TV on 13-1. 13-2/3/etc don't tune on my Zenith DTT-900. But wait...I'm getting blips on channel 5...invariably the PBS station from Grand Rapids, MI, but cannot confirm a lock yet.

Also, I'm picking up analog 57 and 69 from South Bend as well! Hello der, HVS!

·
Registered
693 Posts
The only 2 out of market stations I'm getting are:

WMVS RF 8 Milwaukee & WTLJ RF 24 Muskegon Michigan. I was shocked when I got WOCK-CD for the first time
. It broke up a lot, but I got it. This is the second time I got WMVS. I had hoped they had PBS World moved to WMVS to check it out since PBS World & V-Me are moving to WMVS so they can provide an SD version of WMVS on WMVT (for those who are only using UHF antennas because those individuals refuse to get a VHF antenna). I have yet to get WMVT. Too bad for me that I won't have access to Lo-VHF once I replace my antenna since I plan to get one that's optimized for 7-13 only for VHF.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I'm about 90 miles south of Chicago and can receive all the channels on a semi regular basis. This morning 2-5-7 were all gone while 9-32 retained. Has something gone on I haven't heard of or just the regular OTA distance problems. I am on a 57 ft

tower. Not complaining just curious. as usually unless extreme weather is here I can pull in one of the big three.

·
Registered
693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasko /forum/post/18903091

I'm about 90 miles south of Chicago and can receive all the channels on a semi regular basis. This morning 2-5-7 were all gone while 9-32 retained. Has something gone on I haven't heard of or just the regular OTA distance problems. I am on a 57 ft

tower. Not complaining just curious. as usually unless extreme weather is here I can pull in one of the big three.
It's tropo season, & the 3 stations you mentioned probably were affected by that in your area (stations weren't off the air last night). For channel 7 (WLS-TV), are you getting them on RF 7 or RF 44? Chicago's channel 7 (WLS-TV) is hoping to get everything worked out to where they can vacate RF 7. For me, I've had better luck with RF 7 than RF 44, due to RF 44 having a weak signal.

·
Registered
771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 /forum/post/18903110

It's tropo season, & the 3 stations you mentioned probably were affected by that in your area (stations weren't off the air last night). For channel 7 (WLS-TV), are you getting them on RF 7 or RF 44? Chicago's channel 7 (WLS-TV) is hoping to get everything worked out to where they can vacate RF 7. For me, I've had better luck with RF 7 than RF 44, due to RF 44 having a weak signal.

Oh My!!

You definitely over estimate the caliber of the man reading your reply. I don't have a clue what RF 7 or RF 44 are, I'm even afraid to hazard a guess.

I use a Yaesu rotor to turn a Channel Master 4228 antenna to approximate direction and then a scan with Toshiba TV and after that I'm lost.

That being said the tropo season even needs some explaining but now that you do know caliber of man you are talking to keep it very simple.

Thank you for your quick reply.

·
Registered
948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste /forum/post/18902734

I'm with you...WTLJ is in, WOTV is trying, Milwaukee is even screaming better out here! WWRS-DT is 40 miles northwest of Milwaukee. Nice hit on WAOW, haven't got it yet! But tonight, I got a brand new channel. First timer.

Don't laugh.

You ready?

WOCK-CD, RF 4, 300 watts from Hancock. Yes, THAT channel 4!

All my converter box resolves, however, is Mega-TV on 13-1. 13-2/3/etc don't tune on my Zenith DTT-900. But wait...I'm getting blips on channel 5...invariably the PBS station from Grand Rapids, MI, but cannot confirm a lock yet.

Also, I'm picking up analog 57 and 69 from South Bend as well! Hello der, HVS!

Gilbert, from your location and the content of your posts, I'm guessing tht you're in the meteorology business. If so, can you explain the patch of tropo that often forms over the southern end of the lake? This is the reason why we get these South Bend nights, right?

That Wausau was a total shock. After seeing how good South Bend was, I turned it south towards Champaign/Indy to see if anything was going on down there. That's when WRSS and WAOA showed up on the backside.

There was a lot more out there last night that I left on the table because of co-channel interference. Dxing around here is like looking at stars during the day. I need way more front-to-back ratio if I'm going to really lock in these stations that have co-channels in Chicago or Milwaukee. I see that a Winegard 9032 would be under $50 with shipping. Hmmmm....

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's on those good tropo nights like last night and recently for that matter I am really really beginning to hate the indoor antenna that's stuck up in the attic
This summer, I haven't gotten ANY out of market stations, not even South Bend which last summer was an entirely different story. Being in the attic it's ruining any chance I have to get anything well outside of Chicago. That's why I can't wait to get a much better roof-top antenna which is going to be soon that's for sure. I'm going to get it up as high as I can..the top of the roof on my house is a good 25-30 ft up maybe a bit higher so that should be a good start. I want to see all these out of market stations everyone else seems to be getting lucky enough to get at least brief glimpses of! Should be able to manage South Bend and Milwaukee easily..I hope I'll be able to manage Rockford and Madison once I get the roof top antenna but due to being in the South Suburbs I don't have much hope for those two
I should have a fair chance at Peoria and Champaign though. Maybe Quad Cities and Indianapolis too we'll see. I was in St. Louis a few weekends ago and got to see some, but not all of their stations..would love to get really lucky and get one of their channels even. Has anyone here ever managed St. Louis at all? I'm just trying to see if I could ever hope for St. Louis even if it's very brief.

·
Registered
948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh7812 /forum/post/18904167

It's on those good tropo nights like last night and recently for that matter I am really really beginning to hate the indoor antenna that's stuck up in the attic
This summer, I haven't gotten ANY out of market stations, not even South Bend which last summer was an entirely different story. Being in the attic it's ruining any chance I have to get anything well outside of Chicago. That's why I can't wait to get a much better roof-top antenna which is going to be soon that's for sure. I'm going to get it up as high as I can..the top of the roof on my house is a good 25-30 ft up maybe a bit higher so that should be a good start. I want to see all these out of market stations everyone else seems to be getting lucky enough to get at least brief glimpses of! Should be able to manage South Bend and Milwaukee easily..I hope I'll be able to manage Rockford and Madison once I get the roof top antenna but due to being in the South Suburbs I don't have much hope for those two
I should have a fair chance at Peoria and Champaign though. Maybe Quad Cities and Indianapolis too we'll see. I was in St. Louis a few weekends ago and got to see some, but not all of their stations..would love to get really lucky and get one of their channels even. Has anyone here ever managed St. Louis at all? I'm just trying to see if I could ever hope for St. Louis even if it's very brief.

It is a lot of fun. I remember when I was a kid, we moved from Arlington Heights to Fox River Grove (way down there, only a block from the river). The old antenna at the new house was only able to get 7, 9, and 11, so the old man bought a big bomber from Radio Shack and I installed it on the garage roof next to a second-floor window. During the 1980 political conventions, there was nothing else on TV, so I would use a pair of Vise Grips and lean out the window and be my own rotor. I remember being amazed at getting WISC-3 Madison, a bunch from Milwaukee, and a few Grand Rapids. A few years later we got cable (no antenna could get WBBM down in that valley) and the antenna was forgotten. Years later when the roof was redone, the folks had the roofers take the antenna away.

Now after almost 30 years of cable, I've rediscovered OTA and Dxing. I'm one who believes that Digital has made OTA fun again, because of the perfect picture and the ability to identify a station just by locking it. When I started this a few months ago, I was also in the attic, but I couldn't get the Milwaukees 100% reliably. Now I have a 24 foot mast/tower on the deck (bracketted to the house) and it does open things up considerably. All Milwaukee UHFs are rock-solid, even during the day. And if something goes wrong during the winter, I can just take it down and fix it- no ladders, no roof, no hospitals.

Don't count on Rockford. Even though they are very close, thier sticks are tiny (500-600 ft) and there is topography that puts most of Chicago in a signal shaddow. I'm closer to Rockford than Chicago, but WIFR-23 and WREX-13 are still a pain sometimes.

8581 - 8600 of 13336 Posts