AVS Forum banner

8621 - 8640 of 13338 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/18914984

Never stopped anyone from recommending doing it anyway around here.

Hey Right! I've seen some photos of antenna installs on this site (and others) that make my head spin. But I've got kids, and so does my neighbor to the east (where my rig would end up if the wind got to it), so it has to be robust. I actually just ordered a mast bearing, so that I can do one of those double-mast setups and bring that 10-pound chunk of rotor down low. Then I'd feel better about putting up a larger, heavier antenna.

Great ammo for wife combat-

Wife- "What are you fooling around with now? You bought yet another thing for that damn antenna?"

Me- "Yes, but it's to make it safer."

Wife- "Oh, well, okay then."

·
Registered
367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh7812 /forum/post/18907000

I do have a question that came to mind. For the time being I'm living at home with my folks and they're really starting to want AT&T U-Verse, would I be able to leave the downstairs basement TV just for OTA and use a roof top antenna without the U-Verse stuff or would U-verse mean all our TVs will be required to have it? If I can, I want to leave that one TV for OTA. Could I even plug in the U-verse if I want to watch cable sometimes on that TV and unplug it when I want to watch OTA? They won't be able to get U-Verse till next Spring though since our end of the subdivision doesn't have FIOS yet-believe me I'm wanting the FIOS pretty badly.

FIOS won't likely ever come to the Chicago area; Verizon has more or less halted expansion of the service, and in any case they were almost exclusively building out in Verizon-phone territories (we're AT&T).

Anyway...yes, you could just hook up U-Verse to the TVs you want and use OTA on others. You could even connect both to the same TV; on my main TV I have the U-Verse receiver connected via HDMI and the antenna connected to the antenna port, and I just switch inputs whenever I like.

·
Registered
693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer /forum/post/18916669

FIOS won't likely ever come to the Chicago area; Verizon has more or less halted expansion of the service, and in any case they were almost exclusively building out in Verizon-phone territories (we're AT&T).

Anyway...yes, you could just hook up U-Verse to the TVs you want and use OTA on others. You could even connect both to the same TV; on my main TV I have the U-Verse receiver connected via HDMI and the antenna connected to the antenna port, and I just switch inputs whenever I like.
Verizon sold off their landline business in 14 states that were GTE markets. That includes the following states: Arizona, California, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Washington, and Wisconsin. In my part of Indiana, AT&T is the landline provider with what used to be Verizon (now Frontier) being on the outskirts of the Chicago market. So any FiOS service expanded in former Verizon markets will now be handled by Frontier. Verizon is keeping their service in the largest markets they hold (primarily in Florida & the Northeast). AT&T has yet to provide Uverse to my immediate neighborhood.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,624

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithOTA /forum/post/18915770

Yeah, I figured it would be a bad idea to take a hacksaw to it. If she does want to sell it, I'll post it here first.

I'm very suprised at your WYIN problem, considering that you're only one county away from the transmitter? I know WYIN is a running joke, even guys out in Quad Cities were making fun of it's pip-squeak signal (as part of a discussion about available freqs that WHBF-4 could move to).

During the day, I can get it to just----hang----on to the edge of the cliff, right around 15.5 or 16 SNR, if I sit there and play with the rotor. It still is not watchable, however, because any dropoff whatsoever tanks the picture. At night it's not too bad; my kid's antenna (a homemade 2-bay with wire shelf reflector, up in the attic running on a clearance-price [$13!] Radio Shack preamp that works great) gets it ok, and the 4400 outside gets about 80% signal at 20 SNR. I wish it was better during the day so that the kids could watch 56.3.

If you can't get it reliably with good gear, there's not much hope for the rest of us.

I knew some people who worked with WYIN in its early years. I remember some farmers hated it, so they blasted the transmission line with buckshot. For weeks, the signal would go on and off the air as it apparently arced. I *think* the engineer was also involved in an incident where he got confronted by an angry local, but don't quote me on that. Picking it up was fun: their ERP at any second was different! Probably not good for the transmitter. Finally, they were off the air for days when the tranny line finally gave out.

These days, however, it's a different story. WYIN has 300 kilowatts, and at the height it is at, should give you a good to excellent signal from the Eisenhower southward, if you are pointed at it. Out here on the northwest side of DeeeeKalb, I can't get it by day, but can lock it with a lot of breakup at night with my attic antenna, and that with a house blocking me. If I could get it on my roof, I'd easily snag it.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste /forum/post/18916976

These days, however, it's a different story. WYIN has 300 kilowatts, and at the height it is at, should give you a good to excellent signal from the Eisenhower southward, if you are pointed at it. Out here on the northwest side of DeeeeKalb, I can't get it by day, but can lock it with a lot of breakup at night with my attic antenna, and that with a house blocking me. If I could get it on my roof, I'd easily snag it.

I'm in Schaumburg, using a MATV antenna connection in my apartment. WYIN typically comes in pretty well. I don't watch it regularly, but it's usually there.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,626
Woke up this morning and WMAQ-DT was on my meter, but just barely. I knew that either they were down, or, 99% more likely, a major tropo event was underway. I flipped through the dial and saw weak signs on most channels. Saw one on channel 25, and, playing a hunch, turned the antenna to point southeast. I immediately locked WRTV-DT from Indianapolis, IN! Not bad, but had to cut my fun short as the tropo started going away after 9 AM as the low layers of the atmosphere started warming up.

·
Registered
693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste /forum/post/18916976

I knew some people who worked with WYIN in its early years. I remember some farmers hated it, so they blasted the transmission line with buckshot. For weeks, the signal would go on and off the air as it apparently arced. I *think* the engineer was also involved in an incident where he got confronted by an angry local, but don't quote me on that. Picking it up was fun: their ERP at any second was different! Probably not good for the transmitter. Finally, they were off the air for days when the tranny line finally gave out.

If WYIN were to mount the digital antenna higher, it might be possible the signal might go out a bit more. The antenna is side mounted, while the analog antenna (now decommissioned) is at the very top of the tower. The tower itself is around 950 ft, and the antenna added another 50 ft. That was based on a NWI Times article from around 2002 or 2003 when they installed a then new antenna, to replace the one that got struck by lightning. Too bad the antenna used for analog wasn't optimized for channel 17, or they could have used that antenna for post transition digital. As for the signal itself, I'm not sure if there are any stations they still have to protect, but the nulls that were put in place were to protect WLFI analog 18 & WNDU analog 16. Both of those stations stayed on their pre-transition channels of 11 & 42. If they would have been on the Sears Tower (as originally planned), they would have had to protect WVTV for both pre & post transition digital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 /forum/post/18918490

I'm in Schaumburg, using a MATV antenna connection in my apartment. WYIN typically comes in pretty well. I don't watch it regularly, but it's usually there.
I live in WYIN's COL & it goes out a lot for me. If you're able to get a steady signal from Schaumburg, then that means that either there's multi-path in my area, or WHNW-LP's analog signal is interfering with WYIN. So either WHNW-LP be mandated to upgrade to digital, or WYIN get the FCC to shutdown that station. WHNW-LP transmits out of Downtown Gary either on top of the old Sheridan Hotel (as the GPS coordinates show) on Broadway, or on top of the Chase Bank building at 5th Avenue & Broadway. WYIN's tower & transmitter is located out in the middle of a corn field outside of Cedar Lake (15 or more miles away from Downtown Gary).

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 /forum/post/18919030

I live in WYIN's COL & it goes out a lot for me. If you're able to get a steady signal from Schaumburg, then that means that either there's multi-path in my area, or WHNW-LP's analog signal is interfering with WYIN. So either WHNW-LP be mandated to upgrade to digital, or WYIN get the FCC to shutdown that station. WHNW-LP transmits out of Downtown Gary either on top of the old Sheridan Hotel (as the GPS coordinates show) on Broadway, or on top of the Chase Bank building at 5th Avenue & Broadway. WYIN's tower & transmitter is located out in the middle of a corn field outside of Cedar Lake (15 or more miles away from Downtown Gary).[/color]

More than likely multipath or signal overload. If you're not using an amplifier, or picking the station off the back of your antenna, it's gotta be multipath. Strong signals with multipath display those receive characteristics that you are describing.

·
Registered
693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste /forum/post/18919365

More than likely multipath or signal overload. If you're not using an amplifier, or picking the station off the back of your antenna, it's gotta be multipath. Strong signals with multipath display those receive characteristics that you are describing.
I don't dare use an amplifier, due to being around 15-20 miles north of their transmitter site. It doesn't matter if I use both antennas (Philips & Winegard HD-1080 with Winegard CC-7870 coupler) or just one of the antennas, WYIN's signal drops out. As stated in a previous post, I have even used one of the antennas where it would be pointed toward their site, and it doesn't help (though the signal strength would be up a bit with it being max. 50%). If I only use one of the antennas & point it toward Chicago, WYIN's signal is picked up from the side of the antenna with around 30% signal strength. So I don't know what to do as I've tried everything possible to improve their signal, and it doesn't get better. I will contact WYIN to see if they have any ideas.

·
Registered
516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 /forum/post/18921389

I don't dare use an amplifier, due to being around 15-20 miles north of their transmitter site. It doesn't matter if I use both antennas (Philips & Winegard HD-1080 with Winegard CC-7870 coupler) or just one of the antennas, WYIN's signal drops out. As stated in a previous post, I have even used one of the antennas where it would be pointed toward their site, and it doesn't help (though the signal strength would be up a bit with it being max. 50%). If I only use one of the antennas & point it toward Chicago, WYIN's signal is picked up from the side of the antenna with around 30% signal strength. So I don't know what to do as I've tried everything possible to improve their signal, and it doesn't get better. I will contact WYIN to see if they have any ideas.

Dave, are you using a single antenna and well-shielded downlead into one receiver, or do you have splitters joining antennas aimed in different directions and/or feeding multiple receivers. Antennas aimed in different directions and merged together are subject to multipath and splitters feeding several receivers are subject to reflections from unterminated outputs. If the single receiver and single antenna clearly aimed toward WYIN's tower still suffers from blackouts, do you have cable t.v. wiring nearby that could have cable ch. 68 leaking out and getting into your DTV receiver, causing interference with the OTA ch.17 signal?? Poorly shielded coax cables allow leakage and unwanted signals.

·
Registered
693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Molnar /forum/post/18922412

Dave, are you using a single antenna and well-shielded downlead into one receiver, or do you have splitters joining antennas aimed in different directions and/or feeding multiple receivers. Antennas aimed in different directions and merged together are subject to multipath and splitters feeding several receivers are subject to reflections from unterminated outputs. If the single receiver and single antenna clearly aimed toward WYIN's tower still suffers from blackouts, do you have cable t.v. wiring nearby that could have cable ch. 68 leaking out and getting into your DTV receiver, causing interference with the OTA ch.17 signal?? Poorly shielded coax cables allow leakage and unwanted signals.
I have tried using both of my antennas hooked to a combiner, as well as using just 1 of the antennas. It doesn't matter which way it's hooked up, WYIN still drops out unexpectedly. There are cable TV lines from Comcast running in the neighborhood, but my home isn't hooked up to cable. I'm not even sure if basic cable goes that high in my neighborhood. Comcast Gary always had capacity issues with analog cable. I don't know if signal is leaking from their lines, but the service is poor for digital cable as it operates like satellite during heavy rain (except all the time). It also goes out a lot too. My coax from the antenna to the house is only a year old, and the connections on the coax were already there. I know nothing about hooking up F-connectors to coax. No computers or fluorescent lights are near my cables either. There are only 2 DTV boxes hooked to the coax, which is split indoors only once. WYIN drops out on both TV's. I will say that if it's the cable company's problem, they refuse to acknowledge that there's a problem. A contractor in my neighborhood has told Comcast that the lines need to be upgraded, but they refuse to do so, saying that there's nothing wrong with the lines. This has been a problem since the TCI days. Comcast does not care. As a result of that, about a third of the neighbors who have pay TV have either Dish Network or DirecTV, & have better luck with the service than with Comcast. U-Verse isn't available in my neighborhood as AT&T hasn't upgraded the lines in my neighborhood, but have done so along the main road.

·
Registered
516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 /forum/post/18923455

I have tried using both of my antennas hooked to a combiner, as well as using just 1 of the antennas. It doesn't matter which way it's hooked up, WYIN still drops out unexpectedly. There are cable TV lines from Comcast running in the neighborhood, but my home isn't hooked up to cable. I'm not even sure if basic cable goes that high in my neighborhood. Comcast Gary always had capacity issues with analog cable. I don't know if signal is leaking from their lines, but the service is poor for digital cable as it operates like satellite during heavy rain (except all the time). It also goes out a lot too. My coax from the antenna to the house is only a year old, and the connections on the coax were already there. I know nothing about hooking up F-connectors to coax. No computers or fluorescent lights are near my cables either. There are only 2 DTV boxes hooked to the coax, which is split indoors only once. WYIN drops out on both TV's. I will say that if it's the cable company's problem, they refuse to acknowledge that there's a problem. A contractor in my neighborhood has told Comcast that the lines need to be upgraded, but they refuse to do so, saying that there's nothing wrong with the lines. This has been a problem since the TCI days. Comcast does not care. As a result of that, about a third of the neighbors who have pay TV have either Dish Network or DirecTV, & have better luck with the service than with Comcast. U-Verse isn't available in my neighborhood as AT&T hasn't upgraded the lines in my neighborhood, but have done so along the main road.

To confirm whether it's a cable leakage problem, try setting an old analog TV to cable channel 68 to see if you can get a sniff of anything. (Cable ch. 68 uses the same frequencies as WYIN OTA ch.17.) Using a combiner to merge two antennas onto one downlead can create the situation where unwanted signals or reflections from one antenna torture the desired signal from the other direction. To be sure, temporarily replace the combiner with a barrell connector for troubleshooting. In this situation, a coaxial switch at the back of the TV receiver will allow you to flip between Chicago and WYIN antennas, but will require two downleads from the two antennas to the back of your set.

·
Registered
693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Molnar /forum/post/18923862

To confirm whether it's a cable leakage problem, try setting an old analog TV to cable channel 68 to see if you can get a sniff of anything. (Cable ch. 68 uses the same frequencies as WYIN OTA ch.17.) Using a combiner to merge two antennas onto one downlead can create the situation where unwanted signals or reflections from one antenna torture the desired signal from the other direction. To be sure, temporarily replace the combiner with a barrell connector for troubleshooting. In this situation, a coaxial switch at the back of the TV receiver will allow you to flip between Chicago and WYIN antennas, but will require two downleads from the two antennas to the back of your set.
I get nothing on channel 68. On analog, all I get are 18, 24, 34, & I believe 40. I did exactly what you said, and there is no 68 being detected on my TV. I don't know what else you might suggest.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer /forum/post/18916669

Thank you! I feel much better about the whole U-Verse situation now that I have an answer for that! Your answer was the exact answer I was hoping to get and I thank you for taking the time to answer my question
I know how to plug stuff in through HDMI and antenna ports so it will be easy to use.

·
Registered
17,277 Posts
Looks like WCHU-LD has given up on waiting for WLS to vacate channel 7, and has filed to make channel 33 permanent.

- Trip

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/18925197

Looks like WCHU-LD has given up on waiting for WLS to vacate channel 7, and has filed to make channel 33 permanent.

- Trip

C'mon WLS.... get your head out of your ...

How long do you need to use 12 MHz of spectrum? WCHU needs to go to channel 7 since they are causing co-channel interference with WITI. And WCHU, what an idiotic move since channel 33 only covers 1/3 of the metro area very well.

·
Registered
948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiat /forum/post/18926401

C'mon WLS.... get your head out of your ...

How long do you need to use 12 MHz of spectrum? WCHU needs to go to channel 7 since they are causing co-channel interference with WITI. And WCHU, what an idiotic move since channel 33 only covers 1/3 of the metro area very well.

Yeah, if they mess up WITI I would not be a happy camper.

·
Registered
17,277 Posts
If WCHU-LD isn't causing you problems now, their application shouldn't make it worse unless you're in the Gary area.

- Trip

·
Registered
367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh7812 /forum/post/18924820

Thank you! I feel much better about the whole U-Verse situation now that I have an answer for that! Your answer was the exact answer I was hoping to get and I thank you for taking the time to answer my question
I know how to plug stuff in through HDMI and antenna ports so it will be easy to use.

No problem. And if you have more questions, feel free to PM me; I've had it for a couple years now.

·
Registered
547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA /forum/post/18927524

If WCHU-LD isn't causing you problems now, their application shouldn't make it worse unless you're in the Gary area.

- Trip

Trip,

been through this before, too many times, so here goes again.... WCHU IS causing co-channel interference with WITI, contrary to what WCHU's FCC pattern study says, it isn't as tight as they claim. I live in the northern suburbs and I cannot decode a picture on WCHU but can see their signal on 33-1. This undecodable carrier is causing enough interference to 1MW WITI so I cannot decode them either.

It's the worst of both worlds even with a highly directional antenna. If you live in the SW suburbs you can decode WCHU. So, for the rest of many of us you can't decode WCHU and it provides co-channel interference. That's why it's an idiotic decision to stay on the same frequency as a nearby 1MW station and be forced to operate such a tight pattern where you could be decoded and that you miss 70% of the market.

Bottom line, don't believe the "official" studies... there's plenty of gray area in there.

8621 - 8640 of 13338 Posts