AVS Forum banner

13481 - 13500 of 13535 Posts

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
No, it only shows up every few minutes. Most of the time it's just the FaveTV logo on screen.
Ah, OK... Then it must have been when the screenshot was taken. I can't stand networks that constantly advertise a show or something next to their logo. The worst ones are the opaque animated ads that take up the entire lower third of the frame for several seconds. Of course, most of us probably remember a time when the logo wasn't constantly on the screen as well.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Good advice on the amp/overload, swiat.

Have you tried just taking out the amp to see if WMAQ "cleans up"? Of course that might lose other stations, but it's a starting point. I am 36 miles south of Willis and get a solid signal for WMAQ+WSNS on an indoor, unamplified UHF loop on my second floor (about 20' AGL). Fortunately for me, the landscape facing north is flat.
View attachment 3064661
Thanks for the advice Phil and Swiat. Last night, I spent some quality time with my 3 attic antennas.:) First, I removed the preamp (an old model CM 7777) from my Chicago antenna (a CM 4228) and found that I could still receive WMAQ but the signal strength was very weak. This didn't improve the signal quality any and I was still seeing occasional symbol quality dropouts. Surprisingly, I was able to receive most of the other Chicago stations without the preamp, with a much weaker signal of course. Since that didn't seem to help WMAQ, I tried the LTE filter both with and without the preamp. This may have helped slightly, but I was still seeing drops. I next tried my old Radio Shack VU-120 antenna that has been hanging unused in my attic about 5' away from my 4228. WMAQ immediately locked with no drops. This antenna is a beast to aim in my attic, and I abandoned it after WBBM moved off channel 3 to 12 because I couldn't consistently lock all the Chicago stations due to multipath issues. This is still the case since WFLD 32 is mostly a no show on this antenna in it's current location. My conclusion from all of this is that it seems most likely that my difficulty with WMAQ is due to multipath in the location of the 4228 since reception is good 5' away on the VU-120. This is the same issue I have with being able to lock WFLD on the 4228 and not on the VU-120. It does seem that something changed after the repack because WMAQ on 29 was one of my best stations on the 4228. I remain hopeful that whatever tweaking WMAQ still needs to complete on Willis gets it sorted.

BTW, how did you get the actual signal strength to display in the HD HR Config app. Mine only shows percentages.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks for the advice Phil and Swiat. Last night, I spent some quality time with my 3 attic antennas.:) First, I removed the preamp (an old model CM 7777) from my Chicago antenna (a CM 4228) and found that I could still receive WMAQ but the signal strength was very weak. This didn't improve the signal quality any and I was still seeing occasional symbol quality dropouts. Surprisingly, I was able to receive most of the other Chicago stations without the preamp, with a much weaker signal of course. Since that didn't seem to help WMAQ, I tried the LTE filter both with and without the preamp. This may have helped slightly, but I was still seeing drops. I next tried my old Radio Shack VU-120 antenna that has been hanging unused in my attic about 5' away from my 4228. WMAQ immediately locked with no drops. This antenna is a beast to aim in my attic, and I abandoned it after WBBM moved off channel 3 to 12 because I couldn't consistently lock all the Chicago stations due to multipath issues. This is still the case since WFLD 32 is mostly a no show on this antenna in it's current location. My conclusion from all of this is that it seems most likely that my difficulty with WMAQ is due to multipath in the location of the 4228 since reception is good 5' away on the VU-120. This is the same issue I have with being able to lock WFLD on the 4228 and not on the VU-120. It does seem that something changed after the repack because WMAQ on 29 was one of my best stations on the 4228. I remain hopeful that whatever tweaking WMAQ still needs to complete on Willis gets it sorted.

BTW, how did you get the actual signal strength to display in the HD HR Config app. Mine only shows percentages.
I’ve had similar experiences with hot and cool spots for many channels in my house, or actually any house where I’ve set up antennas, even with virtually no multipath issues like where I am. The trick is finding a single spot that is warm or hot for all the channels. Even on top of a roof with a 12’ mast, I’ve seen one spot along a roofline perform better than others (although the variance is far less the higher you can get outdoors).

As for what I did with the HD config app, not sure... I had to load a newer version because the one I was using didn’t work correctly with the new HDHR5-4K tuner. Maybe this screenshot will help. SiliconDust apparently doesn’t version their assemblies, but they do put an Authenticode signature and timestamp on them. Mine now shows June 21, 2019.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just curious if having two general-purpose antennas close to each other could be causing interference between them?
Interesting question. With the wavelength of a 300 MHz signal being about 3 feet, and my antennas spaced apart horizontally at about 5 feet, in theory, there shouldn't be a proximity effect. But radio waves can do some strange things. So, who knows. I do recall that the dead spots in my attic were there before I added the CM4228, which was the reason I got it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
How long does it normally take for guide data to reflect these changes?

I have FAVETV on 2.4 with no guide data at all. 32.4 is still showing Light TV guide data and 62.8 still has old guide data as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Fave - The network just launched last monday, they still have to provide a schedule for the network to the listings providers and those listings providers have to associate the network with new DT4 entries so they appear on local lineups. When DABL launched on CBS's DT3s there was a lag of a few weeks before listings appeared.

LightTV - There's no point in removing the listings when Light itself is the one rebranding to Grio, so the schedule will be correct come 1/15 when Grio launches. It's no different than when Live Well rebranded to Localish, except in this case the Fox O&O's decided to take down the channel until the relaunch. Plus with the lag of a day or two before lineup updates trickle down, you'll likely be stuck in a situation where you won't have guide data for the first few days of Grio's launch if they disabled the current entry and don't reactivate it until launch day, so it's better for them to leave well enough alone.

62-8: The station has to tell the listing providers about the change in their subchannels

·
Registered
14 Posts
How long does it normally take for guide data to reflect these changes?

I have FAVETV on 2.4 with no guide data at all. 32.4 is still showing Light TV guide data and 62.8 still has old guide data as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
32-4 Listings now show ”TheGrio.Tv coming soon” instead of light tv programming. Nothing has changed on the visual side

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interesting question. With the wavelength of a 300 MHz signal being about 3 feet, and my antennas spaced apart horizontally at about 5 feet, in theory, there shouldn't be a proximity effect. But radio waves can do some strange things. So, who knows. I do recall that the dead spots in my attic were there before I added the CM4228, which was the reason I got it.
My rather small attic is crammed with 5 antennas pointed in 3 different directions, plus about a dozen more stored in nooks & crannies. While I am sure there is interference between them, it's still better than climbing up on the roof- especially after my neighbor fell off his roof, broke his leg, and has been out of work since.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Looks like BET TV 'Light'.

Reactions: sebenste

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am a little confused about Light TV and Grio. There are multiple articles referring to “Byron Allen’s Light TV rebranding as The Grio” but I also came across an article saying the Light TV will continue to have an interne-only presence. That all makes sense from what I see on WFLD 32-4 which now has The Grio promo loop. But then... WAOE 59-2 is still running Light TV which is still promoting movies-of-the-month, and shows no indication of dropping the feed. So, what will happen on 59-2 in a couple weeks?

13481 - 13500 of 13535 Posts