AVS Forum banner

13501 - 13520 of 13535 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
In Wikipedia for Light TV is this paragraph:
On or after that date, Entertainment Studios stopped feeding Light TV programming to some of the network's affiliates (mainly those associated with Fox Television Stations), leaving a test pattern card promoting TheGrio.TV's upcoming launch, though MGM continues to feature a live stream of Light TV on its website, suggesting only the satellite transponder for Light TV was sold to Entertainment Studios; some affiliates have thus taken the subchannel dark due to a current lack of programming on that satellite space. FTS confirmed on December 9 that it would indeed carry TheGrio.TV on its stations when it launches.[10]

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love how the weather of the past week has made my property look. Ice and snow covered trees, it's been so beautiful, and today I saw magnificent rime frost like I've never seen before! But this weather is wrecking my TV reception. Those of you who have pro setups in your attics or on your roofs, are you suffering at all? My little 4-bay bowtie in my 2nd floor bedroom is unable to receive much during this snowy-rainy-foggy weather. I think the fog is the worst. Last night I was lucky to pull in channel 7, by morning I couldn't get anything. And the position I have to put my antenna in is bizarre, angled north of Chicago and tilted back 45 degrees. I've had to put it in this position before but can't remember if it was during the winter. I'm trying to figure out why that position would be good. Are the radio signals being deflected downward by the water droplets in the air??

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,503
I am a little confused about Light TV and Grio. There are multiple articles referring to “Byron Allen’s Light TV rebranding as The Grio” but I also came across an article saying the Light TV will continue to have an interne-only presence. That all makes sense from what I see on WFLD 32-4 which now has The Grio promo loop. But then... WAOE 59-2 is still running Light TV which is still promoting movies-of-the-month, and shows no indication of dropping the feed. So, what will happen on 59-2 in a couple weeks?
It's going to be interesting. WAOE's website has a "check back soon" message, their Facebook page tells of what sounds like a deal that was off...maybe because of their long delay of getting 7 on air in Chicago and channel 10 on in LaSalle, and their repeater in Peoria (that's one heck of a busy engineer!).

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,504
I love how the weather of the past week has made my property look. Ice and snow covered trees, it's been so beautiful, and today I saw magnificent rime frost like I've never seen before! But this weather is wrecking my TV reception. Those of you who have pro setups in your attics or on your roofs, are you suffering at all? My little 4-bay bowtie in my 2nd floor bedroom is unable to receive much during this snowy-rainy-foggy weather. I think the fog is the worst. Last night I was lucky to pull in channel 7, by morning I couldn't get anything. And the position I have to put my antenna in is bizarre, angled north of Chicago and tilted back 45 degrees. I've had to put it in this position before but can't remember if it was during the winter. I'm trying to figure out why that position would be good. Are the radio signals being deflected downward by the water droplets in the air??
Eeeeeyep. A friend in Crystal Lake is having a complete loss of channel 5, and normally it is rock-solid with a strong signal. He has one of the smaller antennas that hook onto a dish mount, but normally he even gets 48-3 just fine. With my 8-bay classic ChannelMaster 4228 antenna (not the modern one, but the one with the mesh screen in my attic 60 miles away with a great preamp, I lost WCIU-26 and the low powers, and a few others as well. Ice on the transmitting antennas on Hancock and Willis aren't helping, either.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's going to be interesting. WAOE's website has a "check back soon" message, their Facebook page tells of what sounds like a deal that was off...maybe because of their long delay of getting 7 on air in Chicago and channel 10 on in LaSalle, and their repeater in Peoria (that's one heck of a busy engineer!).
Since WAOE currently has LightTV on 59-2, does that mean Chicago will have two different GrioTV channels? 59-2 and 32-4?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Does anyone have issues with the audio on COZI TV being on the quiet side and sounding thin? I'm in Cleveland OH, and I'm trying to figure out if it's an issue with my local affiliate or the network.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,508
Does anyone have issues with the audio on COZI TV being on the quiet side and sounding thin? I'm in Cleveland OH, and I'm trying to figure out if it's an issue with my local affiliate or the network.
Hi Snowdog,

I just checked our audio levels on our Chicago network, and it is on par with the main channel, and sounds fine here in terms of quality and loudness.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Hi Snowdog,

I just checked our audio levels on our Chicago network, and it is on par with the main channel, and sounds fine here in terms of quality and loudness.
Thank you. I'll continue to nag my local affiliate some more about the audio. They refuse to fix it, though their other subchannels sound fine.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
As of January 7th, E. W. Scripps Company now owns WCPX-TV, ION, ION Plus and Qubo. Other ION stations have replaced QVC with Laff but that hasn’t happened to WCPX Yet. Keep an eye out

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
That only happened in the markets where the ABC O&O's still have Laff like NYC, LA, Philly, Houston, SF and Raleigh, so their contracts are expiring soon. (Fresno's ABC O&O still has Laff too, but that market doesn't have a standalone Ion station) In Chicago, Laff left WLS for Univision's WGBO back in 2017, and their contract for the Katz networks doesn't expire until 2024.

·
Registered
237 Posts
New subchannel VPOD 59.3 on RF ch 7 / WCHU-LP. I know nothing else about this channel, it just appeared this evening with a rescan.
I was watching it this morning just to see what it was about. My TV says it is 16:9 HD 720p, but very pixelated for the Black and White show they had on. Later in the day they had clearly a bitstarved HD paid programming show on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe you all knew this, I didn't ... WCHU and WPVN are transmitted from antennas on Trump Tower. I didn't know there were transmitters up there! I used to live downtown, I never noticed. Makes sense though. I see I have no hope of pickup up WCHU out here in DeKalb. Low power station. RabbitEars.Info Same is probably true of WPVN. The one station I think I should be able to receive but haven't yet, even on the most perfect weather days, is WMEU.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I was watching it this morning just to see what it was about. My TV says it is 16:9 HD 720p, but very pixelated for the Black and White show they had on. Later in the day they had clearly a bitstarved HD paid programming show on.
I know many PBS member stations that carry the 24/7 Kids network air it in 720p HD. Why? I don't know... And I don't think their target demographic cares or will even notice a difference between SD and HD. Anyway, my local PBS station has 1 1080i sub (main PBS programing), 3 480i subs, 1 audio only sub and 1 720p sub, which is the 24/7 Kids network. The bandwidth for the Kids network is very low with lots of mosquito noise, but that is to be expected for the other subchannels that they have. In fact, too much movement results in a blurry, pixelated MPEG-y mess, which would otherwise be very minimal if it was left in SD.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13,519
Maybe you all knew this, I didn't ... WCHU and WPVN are transmitted from antennas on Trump Tower. I didn't know there were transmitters up there! I used to live downtown, I never noticed. Makes sense though. I see I have no hope of pickup up WCHU out here in DeKalb. Low power station. RabbitEars.Info Same is probably true of WPVN. The one station I think I should be able to receive but haven't yet, even on the most perfect weather days, is WMEU.
Chips,

The FCC entry for WPVN is old. They moved to the Hancock with the repack. However...

15 KW of WPVN on UHF is different. When they were on Trump Tower, I could get them pretty easily with an attic antenna in DeKalb. I might get them a few days a year now. However, a friend who has an 8-bay UHF antenna 35' above ground north of downtown DeKalb gets WPVN almost all of the time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The FCC entry for WPVN is old. They moved to the Hancock with the repack.
That made me laugh out loud. :) Of all of the sources of info I would expect the FCC to be the most accurate.

Does anyone else use aluminum foil for their bowties? I have found that most of the time using foil behind the reflectors improves reception. And one night when I was too lazy to get out of bed to adjust the antenna position I extended a telescoping metal back scratcher and touched it to various parts of the antenna and found, to my delight, when the claw touched a part of one of the reflectors reception was noticeably improved. lol Every night is a science experiment at my place. :)

13501 - 13520 of 13535 Posts