AVS Forum banner

13601 - 13620 of 13632 Posts

·
Registered
17,494 Posts
OK, I thought they had. Rabbitears (which is right 99.99% of the time) has them at full power.
I have WTTW on its STA. Where are you seeing it as full-power?

- Trip

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Chicago stations jointly filed an in depth summary of what's going on at the Willis Tower in the exhibits for their latest tolling requests.

The last page has an expected timeline for the remaining work, and which station's facilities will be involved in those steps.
Thanks for the update. So looks like it won't be until late summer (optimistic) or fall until WMAQ and WFLD are upgraded on the west mast of Willis. I guess I didn't appreciate how complicated it is to do these antenna upgrades but, in retrospect, it makes sense when you are installing a custom antenna 1500+ feet in the air that shares space with other antennas.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
And Chicago's called the Windy City for a reason, the wind 1500+ up is much worse than the wind on ground level, which only gives them a limited window for safe helicopter lifts. And since it's in a densely populated area they also have to close streets surrounding the building in case something goes wrong, which is why Chicago only allows it to happen during specifc hours on specific days.

NYC has similar issues since their towers are also on buildings in densely populated areas like the Empire State Building. For Empire, scaffolding has to be installed during the entire project to protect pedestrians from falling debris, which itself is causing a series of delays because that scaffolding can't be installed until another project involving pedestrian protection barriers around sensitive targets to prevent car attacks is completed.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13,606 ·
The Chicago stations jointly filed an in depth summary of what's going on at the Willis Tower in the exhibits for their latest tolling requests.

The last page has an expected timeline for the remaining work, and which station's facilities will be involved in those steps.
Your posts have been great, KyL416. Much appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I noticed that at some point in the last week, 59-3, VPOD, went from broadcasting in 720p to 480i 16:9. I was watching 59-3 last weekend and they had the Little Lulu cartoons on - something I haven't seen for almost 30 years, and it was in HD. Definitely not HD anymore.

·
Registered
218 Posts
And Chicago's called the Windy City for a reason, the wind 1500+ up is much worse than the wind on ground level, which only gives them a limited window for safe helicopter lifts.
This is great stuff! Thank you for this info. I now know why WMAQ reception has been so spotty since the repack.

While Chicago is a windy city, there are other major cities with higher average wind speeds. For Chicago, the moniker takes on a double meaning which was earned over 150 years ago and is well known by locals as a reference to our blow-hard politicians. Perhaps the antennas could be installed faster if we could get them to all stop talking for a week or two.

·
Registered
249 Posts
WLS 7-3 is showing on my TV as a scramble channel. “THIS-TV”. Sounds to me like This Tv is going to reach a wider audience
As of this morning, 3/31/2021, it is no longer scrambled, rather the colored bars pattern with boxes rolling around and it says WLS-TV Chicago 7.3 on the top. Guide data area still says THIS-TV.

·
Registered
231 Posts
And, now I am getting 66-6, which says Twist will be broadcasting on it starting on April 5. I have never heard of Twist before.

Zippyfrog, it's a new channel coming to a lot of markets>>>

·
Registered
249 Posts
Twist is now on, and I noticed that there is more pixilation on Laff, 66.2. I'll be interested to see how the bandwidth on 66 is being divided between the 6 channels now. I had "That 70's Show" on a couple of hours ago, and there was noticeable pixilation from when I watched it a couple of days ago. Looking at RabbitEars, it has somewhere between .2 through .5 max out at 5Mbps, no info on .6 yet or how the other channels are impacted by it.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
How does Laff on 38-4 compare to it? If it's better, you might want to watch it there from now on since eventually it will be the only place to get Laff once Univision's contract expires.

·
Registered
249 Posts
How does Laff on 38-4 compare to it? If it's better, you might want to watch it there from now on since eventually it will be the only place to get Laff once Univision's contract expires.
It is definitely a better picture quality than 66.2 - at least right now with America's Funniest Home Videos on. I will be interested to see if it is noticeably different when I have Home Improvement on later in the evening. I will check both channels. One thing I do notice is that with 38.anything, if it gets really windy out middle of summer when the leaves are on the trees, the signal goes in and out, whereas 66 doesn't. When LAFF moves to only 38 I will miss the stability during the windy weather.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
One thing I do notice is that with 38.anything, if it gets really windy out middle of summer when the leaves are on the trees, the signal goes in and out, whereas 66 doesn't. When LAFF moves to only 38 I will miss the stability during the windy weather.
Sounds like multipath (ghosting/signal fading in the analog days). The signal is being reflected by the leaves/branches when the wind blows, which may also reflect off of buildings and structures with metal surfaces as well, causing your antenna to see two or more of the same signal which in turn degrades your reception. Adjusting or re-orienting your antenna usually helps. In worse case situations, you may need to move the antenna to a new location, which could be on the other side of your house.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Sounds to me like This Tv is going to reach a wider audience
Evidently it got added to 7 other ABC O&O's:
The eight ABC-owned television markets which now carry This TV via a new agreement are: New York; Los Angeles; Chicago; Philadelphia; San Francisco; Houston; Fresno, California, and Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina, with about 27 million households.

13601 - 13620 of 13632 Posts