AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally got around to watching this one last night...

to be honest (FLAME SUIT ON) I don't see what all the fuss was about this movie...kinda lflat and left me feeling " thats it??" certainly NOT the best picture, IMO. I thought that Moulin Rouge was MUCH better, but that's just me (my wife on the other hand liked Chicago and didn't care at all for MR, but she doesn't like N. Kidman, but that's another story altogether).

anyway, story aside, the pq seemed to be quite grainy with lots of "mosquito noise" and wasn't as sharp as i had thought that a major release (best picture) should have. anyone else notice this, or is it just me? btw - i was viewing on a 106" FP (L300U).

any opinions?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I thought the PQ was very good. I LOVED the movie but disliked MR.

Watched on a 110" FP (PLV-70).

·
Registered
609 Posts
96" CRT - the picture for me went from okay in the brightly lit scenes (like the courtroom) to pretty poor - I found it excessively grainy (is that grain or compression artifacts :)) in the scenes where the entire screen is hazy-dark except for the spotlit characters.

all of the dark, dark, smoke-filled hazy scenes throughout the movie are probably very demanding to compress cleanly, I would imagine.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cpurvis: i agree... glad it wasn't just my eyes playing tricks on me!

amazing to me that in this day and age, that major releases like this one can make it out to the market with mediocre pq...i hate this "hit and miss" type of thing when buying dvd's.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Yes the PQ pretty much sucked on my 106in. It was very grainy in almost every scene. It was also a bit soft even on close-ups. I know they can do better with dark hazy scenes because I have seen it look good on DVDs like Dark City, LOTR, and Panic Room.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I noticed a fair bit of grain, and a real lack of vibrance to the image, I thought it all seemed dark and dim, poor contrast overall. I was also not that thrilled with the movie itself. I am watching on Panasonic AE300 on a 106" HCCV Dalite screen.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I borrowed it and spun it a couple nights ago. The PQ is poor.

As for the movie, I guess the best way to sum it up, boring. I was in the mood, I was alone, the volume was cranked and all the praise had me hyped and ready to go. I was let down. Nothing here to grab you and hold you to the movie. The songs were lack luster and average at best. Some settings were very nice, the dancing was good, but the characters...all wrong. I could not get into any of them, they did not fit the parts, except for maybe KZ Jones, a little. Gear and Zellweger did not fit at all. One thing this movie did was prove Gear cannot sing.

Although different than Moulin Rouge, it is also very similar. It's a movie that will forever ride the coat-tails of MR. MR has so much character, so much excitement, the songs were outstanding, the voices and characters all too perfect and fit the theme and mood of the movie.

Peace Out~:D

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ron, couldn't agree with you more! you hit the proverbial nail on the head...

glad to see i'm not the only one let down by both the movie and the transfer.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Quote:
certainly NOT the best picture, IMO. I thought that Moulin Rouge was MUCH better
Moulin Rouge smokes Chicago in PQ.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Flexx
Moulin Rouge smokes Chicago in PQ.

Cheers,
But not in content, IMO

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
I loved Chicago and thought the picture was good and the sound was outstanding but then i don't have a huge display just a modest 32inch widescreen television.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
It sure looked better in the cinema than on DVD...

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I thought the picture quality was average (96" CRT) and the sound slightly above average (mixed on Bryston / PMC gear no less :)). I first saw and heard the movie on the plane on those 8 - 10" LCDs in Pan and Scan with headphones - not exactly optimal settings.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Just saw this last night ( a little late). I really enjoyed it, but do realize I could have easily not been in the mood for it...just caught me at the right time I guess.

89" DLP--several scenes that looked good to great, but 90% was average.

This is my new demo for sound! It was the best sound I've ever had in the theater. It's really neat when your system gives you that grin that you had the first time you heard it!

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
I liked the movie but long shots and dark scenes didn't look great. Close up scenes looked fine. Sort of inconsistent picture quality. My sig. other and I liked Chicago just as much as M. R. - but M. Rouge had much better p.q. !!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Watched it again last night with the wife and M-i-L. Just had the 61" DLP ISF calibrated and this time watched Chicago with my new HD931 via DVI. If I was limited to using one word it would be ... Superb. Excellent color saturations and deep blacks with all the trimmings of detail fully viewable and no EE. Since I was using the same HT sound system, the audio was the same as the first viewing ... also Superb. (Same with viewing selected scenes of EP II AoTC, btw, in case Iceblade sees this. ;))

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EC
I thought the picture quality was average (96" CRT) and the sound slightly above average (mixed on Bryston / PMC gear no less :)). I first saw and heard the movie on the plane on those 8 - 10" LCDs in Pan and Scan with headphones - not exactly optimal settings.
Hey i saw it on an A320 airbus first too! Is that what you saw it on? I thought it was by far the best airplane movie experience i have ever had..

The picture quality had no obvious flaws, and ZERO of those annoying airplane glitches, and the sound quality was as good as could be expected from 5 dollar headphones. Here is my review of the UA Airbus 320, haha:

http://forum.**********/showthread.ph...ghlight=airbus

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.