Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have any hope?

I live in a high-rise (5400 N Lake Shore Drive) facing the lake.

The only way I could get HDTV at this point is to put an antenna up in my living room :(

If I got an indoor antenna like the Terk TV55 or equiv and a tuner like the Samsung SIR-T151 will I get decent HD reception from downtown?

All my windows face east (lake).

Any high-risers out there along LSD?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul

EDIT: I do have a front projector "capable" of displaying HDTV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think you would get a really good signal being in a high-rise building.

I recommend the Zenith Silver Sensor antenna, do NOT buy a Terk, they are JUNK! I live in 3 story apartment building on the first floor and can all UHF channels, no CBS. The Zenith is highly directional, but I think it work for you.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
For WBBM-DT Ch. 3 you will probably need a separate antenna, preferably one of the older rabbit ears that will extend to 8'. Pull the elements out to 92" (the half-wavelength of Ch. 3) and join the RE to your UHF antenna with a 75-Ohm vhf/uhf joiner. WBBM's antenna/power upgrade (expected by year's end) should help you.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

I have one more remedial newbie question...

There is a 40 story metal and glass high-rise directly to the south (about 200 feet away) of my 33 story building (I live on the 20th floor) that entirely blots out downtown to me view-wise. Are these digital signals line of sight? Should I give OTA a try?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Line of sight is best, but as close as you are to the transmitters you may be OK. Try a Silver Sensor with return privileges for the UHF channels.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Line of sight is better, but if you're 20 stories up, I bet you'll do pretty well. I'm only 6 stories up, facing away from the transmitters, and can get all the Boston stations with the Zenith Silver Sensor sitting in my window sill, with dropouts only on the weakest ones during the day. (All are fine at night.) I'm 7-8 miles from the transmitters. I'm using a Zenith HDV420.

Try to get the antenna as "outside" as possible, near a window or on a balcony to maximize signal strength.

As they say, YMMV. Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also live on north LSD, although a little closer in than you, and I live on the second floor of a three-story building, surrounded by 40 story behemoths, with a southwest facing unit and absolutely no view of downtown. And I can pick up all the digitals just fine from my window. I have the Radio Shack double-bowtie (which I heard was discontinued), but the Silver Sensor would have been my next choice according to all the success others have been having in urban areas. You may not even need a separate VHF antenna for WBBM ch. 3 - I only say that because my antenna is UHF-only and picks up ch. 3 just fine, probably due to how close in I am. Although I would not be surprised if you had to rotate your antenna just a little to pick up all the channels.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm in a similar boat. I will be moving into my condo in March. It is on the 10th floor of 1000 N LSD and has North-East and South-West views. I am holding out little hope for getting any OTA signal. I am in the shadow of 1000 N LS Plaza, and the building on the other corner of oak and michigan. I also fear that I am probably to close the hancock to get the signals that are broadcast from there. The building engieneer seems to be brain damaged so I cannot get aything out of him regarding a roof antenna.

There is a guy of this board who will come to your place and do a whole bit where he checks signals and places antennas to get the best signal. But he does chrage a lot, search the archives and see if you can find him.

Good luck,

Stu

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I now have the Zenith HDV420 with the Sensor Silver Antenna.

I only get signals when the antenna is in the window facing the lake (my only choice).

WTTW HD is fantastic very strong signal.

ABC is great.

NBC...no luck yet ??? I don't get it. EDIT: GOT IT!

CBS...no luck yet I'll try a VHF antenna EDIT: GOT IT!

FOX...comes in good with an antenna re-direction.

WGN...comes in great.

UPN...comes in great.

I'm picking up other stuff too but the programming doesn't interest me.

I really need CBS so I'm heading over to Radio Shack today. GOT IT!

So I ended up with a Silver Sensor for UHF and a Radio Shack Ampified VHF/UHF for CBS and a A/B switch to switch between antennas.

This HD stuff rocks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too live on LSD. I bought the radio shack double bow tie, but the silver sensor works even better. With the silver sensor you don not have to moved it around so much, and it looks better. You can purchase it at circut city. I bought mine at the store on clybourn, which is not far from you

·
Registered
62 Posts
A quick question - does anyone know if the Silver Sensor is the exact same antenna and design manufactured in the UK? (by Antiference I think it was?)

·
Registered
4 Posts
i also live on north LSD, 3550, north east condo. i've got a samsung T151 with a silver sensor and surprisingly enough, works best facing west on my north side windows. but thanks to this forum, i'm enjoying HD in chicago. and just in time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.