AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Cary, I guess about 40 miles or so from Chicago, and use a VHF/UHF combo antenna in my attic. I have it connected directly to a Mitsubishi HD5 STB, with no amplification. I normally get close to a 100% on my signal meter, which would imply I should be getting a pretty solid signal. For the most part I do, but I still get frequent short spurts of audio and video dropouts (sometimes just audio, sometimes both). Enough to be annoying, but still watchable. Per suggestions from thus forum, I tried to check analog channels to look for ghosts for evidence of multipath, but I don't see any (just snow). I do not have any aluminum siding or other metallic materials in the way to worry about.

Is there any other reason that this could be happening, besides multipath? It appears that signal strength is not the issue with the 100% signal reading. Although, I did notice that the signal meter drops much lower for a split second during some of these short spurts. It's hard to tell if this happens on each instance because I cannot watch both the picture and the signal meter at the same time. I even tried a signal attenuator (is that what it's called) on the off chance it was too strong a signal (not likely out in Cary but I wanted to try many of the suggestions I've read on this forum).

I have tried aiming the antenna in different directions. The only effect has been on the sustained signal strength shown on the signal meter. The picture and sound behavior was pretty much always the same.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can try next to resolve this problem?

One thought was that it was my STB. It gets pretty hot, even when it is off, and twice now I lost OTA altogether. It went completely dark on all OTA channels (but with DirecTV still working). When this happens I have to unplug it until it cools down, then all is okay again.

By the way, the DirecTV signal is always good, only dropping out on occasion out due to rain-fade, which should be expected (right?).

Anyone else in the Cary or Crystal Lake area having similar troubles?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Steve,

I live about 35 miles southwest of downtown and have no problems at all. I would first check all of your connections, from your antenna back down to receiver. After you feel confident that all is well and you still are having a problem, I would consider swapping out your receiver.

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.