AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hail from Arlington Heights, and for the past year I have been able to get a fairly steady signal on every available HD station except WBBM (which has no signal here, assumedly because it's a hundred times weaker than the others). I get ~ 60% on channel 26 and 62, and I can do 80-100% on 5/7/9/11/20/32/38/44/50/60/66 when I aim the antenna right.

But...there is a nagging problem that I was hoping to get some insight on... The problem is cross-path interference, and it is a pain in the butt. I especially notice this when there are a lot of cars passing out on the street in front of us, as well as if it is windy outside or bad weather is apparent. There are not any significantly tall structures around our house.

My setup consists of a set-top antenna along with a separate inline amp, routed to the Samsung SIRT-451. Maybe I have been lucky thus far to get anything with this arrangement, but the antenna and amp have served me well for many years, having been able to pull in OTA analog when I was at school downstate. In any case, I have tried a couple of different antennas in my frustration to reduce or eliminate the drop-outs. Both the Terk HDTVi and TV4 have allowed me to increase directionality in my reception, but the drop outs are still painfully apparent. I have been hesitant to try any of the newer/odder-looking and more-expensive designs for fear that they too will not work. Which leads me to the heart of my question.

Am I going to have to bow down to an outside mast to get the reception right, or is there an inside antenna which is capable of reducing or eliminating cross-path interference? I have run across a pair of antennas from Winegard, namely the Square Shooter and Sharp Shooter, but I am hesitant in investing in these. I have also heard that there is something to do with the signal processing capability of the tuner, but I haven't yet been made aware of any 'next generation' tuners.

If anyone has any insight on this, your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.