AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well all the "HD channel guides" still say that Channel 50 UPN in Chicago will start broadcasting on digital channel 51 by June 15 2002. Anyone have any more reliable information?

Those of you who do have UPD, Is Enterprise in HD?

·
Registered
62 Posts
As of today (6/11/02) I have not yet been able to receive any digital signals at 51.1 (which should be UPN Channel 50's new digital channel).

And from what I've read on other threads, Enterprise is filmed with HD cameras, but not broadcast in HD. So one day, the capability would be there, but so far no such announcements have been made by UPN. And unlike WB, I have not yet heard of UPN supplying any HD feeds to it affiliates (similar to FOX).

·
Registered
729 Posts
I guess the UPN station in Dallas passes through Mavericks games in HD, and are now showing HDNet as well. I read that here but haven't been to Dallas to check it out personally.

But that's the only UPN station passing anything HD through that I've heard of. It sure would be nice if they started.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I called the station this morning, the person that answered the phone had no idea what I was talking about, he transferred me to programming. The person at programming said that he had no date when they will start their digital transmitter. I asked to be transferred to engineering, got dumped into voice mail and left a message asking for a date. Any bets that I never hear anything back from them?

·
Registered
729 Posts
WPWR-DT 51 has been granted a CP Extension until November 1, 2002. Their transmission facilities are at the Sears Tower, although they are licensed to serve Gary, Indiana.

You can review the application from the FCC web page here . The link at the end will take you to a one-page PDF summary of their status, which concludes that they should be operational at full power by November 1.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Burgess
WPWR-DT 51 has been granted a CP Extension until November 1, 2002. Their transmission facilities are at the Sears Tower, although they are licensed to serve Gary, Indiana.

You can review the application from the FCC web page here . The link at the end will take you to a one-page PDF summary of their status, which concludes that they should be operational at full power by November 1.
Dan, thanks for the response. Guess Titan TV web site isn't too accurate since that have a 6/15/2002 live date.

I see the delay reason is for technical/equipment. Gee, if the reason is hardware how many years did they have to plan for this conversion and why couldn't they have placed an order for whatever they needed months, if not years ago, so that they would have it on time?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've never put too much faith in the information at Titan TV. As for ordering the equipment on time, you think they would have had some foresight, but many stations probably expected the FCC to be lenient and let things slide almost indefinitely. Thankfully the FCC is acting on our behalf and being more forceful in making this transition take place.

It appears that most six-month extensions have been approved (although over sixty were denied) and that stations who are up and running by November 1 will be in good graces with the FCC.

After that, however, reprimands and fines have been outlined and (we can only hope) will be imposed on those who ignore their DTV responsibilities.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks DAN for the information.

I cannot agree more with all your statements.

We now need to convey our disbelief and disgusts to both WPWR and the FCC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.