AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else in the Chicago land area (preferably in the FOX VALLEY area)??? Would love to meet some of you and see some of those fanatastic home theatres in person, and of course show mine off as it gets nearer to completion.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow this really bums me... Chicago, the 3rd largest city in our nation and nothing. Pennsylvania, Maryland, Washington, and my great home state of Michigan has posts coming from everywhere.

2 of my favorite things...audio/video and foosball there appears to be little or no interest in the Chicago-Land area.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jinhopark,

I live in Naperville and would have no problem getting together. My "home theater" is modest by member standards, no projector, just a really big TV and some decent equipment.

Drop me an e-mail and we can work out a meeting.

BTW, I'm off Ogden Ave, near Naper North HS.

Kirk

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WScott said he would be interesting in meeting in a week or 2 from now. I am about 2-3 weeks away from having people over, although we could probably have people over now... It is a mess and there are wires EVERYWHERE!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey guys,

I live in Naperville currently and will be moving to Aurora in the Fall...

I am currently looking at projectors (albeit not too successfully seeing how most places don't even carry front projectors let alone ones in my price range of $2000-$3500).

I guess I'm just vocalizing my presence, I would be interested in participating in anything you guys would like to start-up - although my present apartment in small and I have no HT set-up to speak of -just a small sony tv, a Denon non-5.1 receiver, two NHT Ones, a cheesy Aiwa powered sub and a pair of Boston surrounds (of which I'm using one as the center speaker while the other one just sits around because my apartment set-up doesn't allow me to place the surrounds anywhere, I know, pretty lame...)

I'm hunting for a front projector (probably LCD since I demoed the Plus Piano, which is a DLP, for about 1/2 an hour and was quite dizzy afterwards...) as well as a digital receiver and a center speaker within the next 6-8 months.

When I do move into our new house with my wife, we'll have an upstairs room more or less dedicated to the HT :D

Well, anyways, I would love to get together just to talk HT or demo stuff together!

Will

·
Registered
470 Posts
I am from Palatine area and have hosted a HT party and attended a few too locally, guys from Joliet up to Libertyville area, interested in seeing some projector setups (next on my list is projector,,,shhh dont tell my wife hehe) so if anyone is local, has a projector setup and is willin to show it off (or wants to see my setup for reference 65907 mitsu fully isfed) let me know,

Bill

http://www.ftlosm.homestead.com/

is my home page

(theres a theater page link in there at the top of my current setup)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bill,

I like your site and nice HT setup! Good job!!!

Would love to see your setup and have others come to my house. I think most people are tied up until mid-late June...

My current setup has only 4 Berkline seats, which causes us problems when we have more than 2 people over at a time. The room size is only 15.5' x 21.5', and with the particular projector I picked up I need to sit nearly 2 times the screen width to eliminate the screen door... The Berkline's in the reclined position eat up a lot of the length in that room, and with a 6.1 speaker setup the speakers need some breathing room. (Oh the joys of designing a home theatre!)

So it is either the floor or folding chairs, which may obstruct viewing for others... Unfortunately it looks like this will be our arrangement until we build our new house.

-Jinho

·
Registered
78 Posts
Please add me to the list, I reside in the So. Suburbs. However I have no problem traveling to meet like minded people. I too have a modest theater that has served my family well. But I'm in the planning stages of several upgrades most notably from direct view to front projection, and would love to share ideas and plans. Hope to hear from ya soon.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Okay, I suppose I'll come out of the woodwork.

What's the latest on a Chicagoland group?

Regards,

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I am somewhat ready to have guests over at my place for a "viewing". We still have yet to paint the room, or add the sliding doors, no curtains for total darkness, sconces not wired yet, speaker wires have not been fished in the walls yet, and I only have seating for 4.

Name a day and time.

Actually it needs to be sooner rather than later because the Berkline's are being shipped back since we are upgrading to the electric recline.

This weekend, or the next weekend is fine with me. After that is the 4th and I will be out of town...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Gentlemen,

As I stated in my previous post, I don't have a projector setup, and regretully won't be getting one.

However, I do have a 65 inch Mits and would love to have you guys over to tell me what I can do to improve the picture and just enjoy some movies.

I'm also looking forward to visiting Jinho's setup, especially since he's just a few minutes away from me. He'll probably have to start charging me rent once he gets everything up and running.:D

The weekend of the 22nd and the 29th is good for me.

Kirk

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I'll be brave and offer up as host for a 2nd meeting :)

You can see my bizarrely shaped room, and check out the system (as it sits for the moment).

The weekend of the 22nd doesn't work for me, I am out of town. The weekend of the 29th does.

Heck, I'll even invite anyone that wants to come over for the Cubs vs. Sox game on Sunday the 30th in HDTV.

I'll tell you now, my room is nowhere near completion, and the focus is on A/V performance, not comfort ;)

Any thoughts?

Regards,

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Depending on how many people are interested Saturday the 29th is fine with me. I have a grill out back, and I may even have the speaker wires fished in the walls by then, although my seats may be sent back by then... So it may be fold down seats and bean bags (again depending on how many people).

-Jinho

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey guys!

Yeah, I'm in the Naperville area and have corresponded with Jinho on occassion...

The 29th works for me since I'll be out of town this upcoming weekend....

My setup is almost non-existent right now as we are in a tiny apartment, but we'll be moving to a new house in the Fall (sorry guys...). So I would offer my place at a much later date - when I should hopefully at least have a dedicated room and a Front Projector!

Anything I can bring Jinho?

Will

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bill/Will/John/Todd,

Hmmm... Ok it's sounding like the 29th is sounding good to everyone. I just got a PM from Kirk and he says he is not available until later in the evening or so???

In any event, my make shift theatre is still in the infancy stages and I would love to have some input/suggestions on what I could do to make it better... So as long as no one objects to clutter then how about we shoot for 4-5 pm-ish? Please forward me your emails (and anyone else who is interested) and I will send an invite out.

We have 2 grills, 1 propane and the other charcoal (hopefully the weather is nice) and we can cook out and have drinks and watch some movies... We always have a stock of beer/soda/burgers/hotdogs, so bring whatever you wish to grill.

My wife and I look forward to meeting and having all you guys (and significant others) over for the first Chicago land HT G2G...

-Jinho

**Oh I forgot to mention... I have a lot of movies in stock, but if there is something that you would like to bring to view or some equipment that you would like to test out in my system then please by all means bring that along also. Please visit (to see a listing of my equipment and software material) http://www.geocities.com/jinhopark/photopagespiral.html ...although that DVD/LD listing is kind of old also. We'll take pictures of our G2G with our digital camera and we can post them up here, sounds like fun.**

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.