AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting this thread since the audio issue in the old thread has been solved. this way we can stay more on topic.

Bob,

thanks again for your help with all of the past issues. We all understand you are quite busy with running both stations. Any update on getting the widescreen back on WFLD-DT?

·
Registered
144 Posts
As I replied to abbey641 on the "What's with...." thread:

WFLD is back at 480P, and has been for a few weeks. The in-house signal path is predominanatly component digital with no NTSC degradation. FOX Network is all digital satellite feeds. The program syndicators still deliver their material to us in NTSC over satellite, and we immediately decode it and handle it as a digital signal from then on.

As to switching to 16:9, after I finish my current project, the boss told me I could work on this issue. It's NOT "all you gotta do" to actually make it happen. A new control system has to be designed and physically built that will interface to the automation system. Our operator is busy running two stations now, and this switching function has to become something they can program into the automation. They don't have the time available to sit and switch back and forth between the two aspect ratios, and there are two switches that have to be made for each change from "local" to "Net" and back to "local" again. Also, this switching function has to be able to handle the WPWR side if and when they begin supplying HD/widescreen material to us.

I'm actually dreading this project because of the incompatibility issues between all the pieces of hardware I have to interconnect, but it will get done.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I know we keep begging and begging and the whining from the peanut gallery must be really getting annoying, but is there any chance of getting 16:9 in place for the Cubs game on Tuesday?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FSugino
I know we keep begging and begging and the whining from the peanut gallery must be really getting annoying, but is there any chance of getting 16:9 in place for the Cubs game on Tuesday?
Sure would be nice, but I won't be holding my breathe :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote:
It's not being shown in widescreen, so it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote:
These games are not originating from the equipment at the ballpark in 16:9, so you are not missing anything. They're actually 4:3 NTSC 480i format. We're de-interlacing them to 480P for the DTV transmitter, but leaving the size OAR.

I suspect the Enhanced Definition gear will be rolled out on the World Series games and other "MAJOR" events.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Wahsington-Philadelphia game was broadcast in widescreen but was blackout by D* because it was available in my area. It was only 4X3 and not 16X9 on WFLD-DT. Enhanced although not true HD is still better than SD on DT. Not only for NFL games but other Fox programing as well. Very frustrating

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bob...16x9 this week???

Will it be up by the World Series and the start of 24??

Thanks so far for all your help.

Keep up the great work!!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WalterM
The Wahsington-Philadelphia game was broadcast in widescreen but was blackout by D* because it was available in my area.
I tuned in to Ch. 72 several times during the game and it seemed to be coming in fine.

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gmichael
When is Fox going High Definition?
In less than 12 months. FOX Network will start to provide 720p to the affiliates in Fall 2004.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
wfld should stretch non widescreen programs having the bars on the left and right side of the screen is pretty bad imho[especially burn in wise]

·
Banned
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kevin j
wfld should stretch non widescreen programs having the bars on the left and right side of the screen is pretty bad imho[especially burn in wise]

Your HDTV STB should do that part.

all Programming should be OAR. so everyone don't confused if its hdtv or not

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
the 5100 doesn't stretch digital channels so i'm stuck with the bars on the sides[which should be done away with imho]

1 - 20 of 169 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.