AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When viewing digital ota (non hdtv) is it displayed in 16:9 format?

For example if I tune to the Bears game on Sunday on Fox channel 31.2 will it "fill " a 16:9 display or is it presented in 4:3 and I have to stretch it? Same question applies to "Friends" tonight on NBC 29. If it matters, I am utilizing DTC100.

Thanks for any help. I am almost certain to trade my 4:3 Hitachi for a Pioneer 533HD5 this weekend but I just can't seem to get this part figured out.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
It will depend on the channel and program. Most of the new programs shown usually will fill the screen. Some older programs like Seinfeld will sometimes be a little on the "skinny" side of 16*9. You may see some small side bars. the game this weekend should fill the screen even though its not hd.

All of the local oat digital stations are broadcasting a 16*9 signal but the program may be 4*3 and have black bars on the side. Depending on your set and setup, you may or may not be able to stretch the 4*3 picture. Usually if you are running your stb into your hd input on your set, most sets will not let you stretch the 16*9 broadcast even though your set is showing a 4*3 image.

·
Banned
410 Posts
The Pioneer SD533 will allow you to control the aspect ratio for HD sources (at least 480p), but that won't mean much to you.

The only 16:9 sources that appear "stretched" come from WMAQ-DT.

It seems to me that all the Chicago DT stations give you a cropped top/bottm or black side bars for the SD upconverts being shown in 16:9 except WMAQ-DT. Also Pax 38 sends a 6 channel multicast SD 4:3 material which most STB' swill allow you to control aspect ratio with.

Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.