AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively new to the area and am looking for a store similar to Baretts, someone who carrys middle of the road stuff. Looking for a new surround speaker system. B&W or M&K, Definitive etc. Looking to buy before Sunday.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
For the record, Columbia Audio Video, established in 1948, went out of business suddenly two months ago. What a shame. I would look at Audio Consultants, a great dealer, and Abt, if they carry the products you're interested in. I happen to like Barrett's, BTW.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Look at Holm Audio in Woodridge right off of 355 and 75th Street or Sounds Deluxe (look at their website for there locations). Audio Consultants is nice too. Just do a google search on those names and you get their websites.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Scarpelli /forum/post/0

For the record, Columbia Audio Video, established in 1948, went out of business suddenly two months ago. What a shame. I would look at Audio Consultants, a great dealer, and Abt, if they carry the products you're interested in. I happen to like Barrett's, BTW.

I liked Baretts too. I ordered a system from them and its already been payed for but they have no idea when it will be in and I cant wait that long. It's a shame but I'm cancelling the order and going somewhere else. The day I was there to purchase the system they didnt tell me it was not in stock until after they did all the finance stuff, that ticked me off a little.

But to everyone who responded thanks for the help, I will check out these places over the weekend and hopefully find something before the game on Sun.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Don't know where you are in the area or how far you're willing to travel but there's also The Little Guys in Glenwood/Homewood (far south side) - they carry M&K and I believe they're having an anniversary sale this weekend - might be worth a call to see if they have what you're looking for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by agb2529 /forum/post/0

Don't know where you are in the area or how far you're willing to travel but there's also The Little Guys in Glenwood/Homewood (far south side) - they carry M&K and I believe they're having an anniversary sale this weekend - might be worth a call to see if they have what you're looking for.

Nice find! I will make time to visit this weekend, 12th Anniversary Sale is going on.

I may have to pick up a few other items...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Holm audio is a very good store, excellent customer service and quite knowledgeable. Abt carries M&K but I find their business practices to be less than wholesome. You might also stop in a Great Indoors store, I think they carry Def Tech. Audio Consultants carries B&W and has a nice little used gear section to browse through. If you have speakers already, you might be able to exchange them at Audio Consultants for a healthy discount on the new speakers.

A bit higher end there is Quintessence Audio on the Upper North side. They don't carry any of your listed brands but some of their lines are Vandersteen, ProAC, Avalon, Talon and Avant Garde.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.