AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Huntley IL, far west suburb of Chi and just got HDTV. The channels that come in look great! For some reason I can not get channel 2 (CBS) at all. I have a roof mounted antena and don't want to move it becuase I get 5-abc, 7-NBC, 11-PBS,9 WGN, 32FOX, 36, and some church channels in with great signal strength.

I am closer to Rockford than chicago and was wondering if I could some how get the rockford CBS station.

I have a Samsung SIR-T151

No stores seem to know anything about HDTV in my area.

I also have not found a place where I can find out which channels I should be getting.

when it works the HDTV is great, but so much programming is in SD it gets frustrating at times.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Go to www.antennaweb.org and plug in your zip code. That will give you the stations you should receive and their channel numbers. Be aware that most of your HD channels will probably be UHF (13 and up). I believe WBBM's HD, though, is VHF. To get Rockford stations, you'd probably have to mount the antenna on a rotor, or just put up another antenna, and use and A/B switch to select which to use depending on the station you want to watch. While antennaweb.org will tell you what channels you should get, http://100kwatts.tmi.net/ will show you where the towers are located.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well this is sure disappointing. I too live in Huntley(WingPointe) and have an attic mounted antenna. I receive everything except CBS fine. Today was the first day that WBBM broadcast their digital signal at 100% (see this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=297405 ). I was hoping I would pick it up or at worst would have to mount the antenna on the roof. You have crushed my dreams. What size antenna are you using?

As for local stores, the best was Barretts in SpringHill mall. They are temporarily closed but will reopen on Randall road in Algonquin in the spring. But no store, at least around here, will be able to match the power of this forum. Anything you want to know is here. You may get some good info from local stores but always tainted by their desire to sell you stuff, that is why they are there after all.

Also try http://www.titantv.com/ for HDTV listings. They are not always accurate though.

-Chris

·
Registered
414 Posts
I live in woodstock and find that I can barely receive any Rockford stations. The easiest to get is channel 17, WTVO (channel 16 DT). I can occasionally get WREX. WIFR lost their antenna in a storm a few months ago and its not yet back on the air.

As a previous poster said, go to www.antennaweb.org. Plug in your address and it gives a list of stations in decreasing probability of reception. You need to enter your address to get accurate information.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last night I did a channel scan and what do you know, I picked up 3 new channels! Channel 2!! 50- upn and 21-not sure what it is but it seems like a PBS station.

I live in the Woodcreek apartments in Huntley and they have these huge antennas on the roof, they must be 4x6 feet on top of 3 story apartments.

I went to the antenna web, nice site, how do I get those high number channels what type of antenna could I add? I get most of the violet stations.

I went to best buy and could't find any antennas with those pie charts on them.

Should I even worry about getting more channels OTA right now?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.