AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for bookshelf speakers for a two channel system for music and video. Price range is $1k.

Looking to place on a BDI stand, flanking a TV, connected to an AV Receiver such as a Denon 1909 or similar.

I live in an apartment and don't want a subwoofer.

But I have a child. 3 years old. A boy.

Which means that the grill will come off and any tweeter is going to be pressed like a button.

I know that any speaker can be damaged, but I want to take advantage of any type of protection available.

This rules out the B&W 685/686 because those tweeters will dent if a fly lands on them. And their grills offer no protection.

Other speakers have semi-protected tweeters or ones shielded by a grill, which will help dramatically to prevent any damage from curious fingers.

Thus far, I have a list of some candidates:

Totem Rainmaker

Totem Dreamcatcher

Monitor Audio RS1

Usher S-520

Any additions to this list, suggestions or comments? Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You know there used to be this indoor sports park where I lived as a kid. They had an indoor basketball court with adjustable hoops that you could rent. They had a problem with kids hanging on the rim so they rigged it up so that if you touched the rim you would get a small shock. Oh, and as a side not there are speakers out there with metal enclosures. Just saying

There are some elac speakers that have a metal grill that would be hard for a 3 yr old to get off, and if they did they have a ribbon tweeter that would be protected by a plate of sorts. Good luck finding them though unless you are from the EU. Coincidentally these are one of the speakers with a metal enclosure as well.
http://www.elac.com/en/index.html

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have a one year old that will not stop exploring.

In my opinion... the words child proof and speakers don't go together. My plan is simple. Expect he'll destroy my Paradigm 100v3's, CC590 and Servo 15v2 sub and then replace them with bigger and better once he's old enough to know he's not to touch them.

But hey, best of luck to you. If you find any child proof speakers can you look to see if they also have a child proof 58 inch plasma because I'm sure the toys will start bouncing off it sooner rather than later also!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.