AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,565 Posts
It's the UK studio release of Children of Men. I use an OPPO dvd player that is region free to enjoy movies from other countries. Last weekend we watched Golden Globe nominee "Volver" at home. Next weekend we'll enjoy Children of Men:

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/ch...n-p-11007.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grucl /forum/post/0


The french Amazon-site has listed the Clive Owen sci-fi movie for a April 24th release:

http://www.amazon.fr/fils-lhomme-HD-...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

If you put it in your cart, it shows up at EUR 20.89 (not EUR 24.98 like on the main page) but unfortunately the shipping is EUR 10.90 to Canada, for a total of EUR 31.79 (CAD$48.31 or US$41.22).


I'll wait for this Universal release to hit North America.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Yeah - got it through amazon.co.uk (CoM/ R2) - very good price, and arrived amazingly quickly - watched it at start of week (after seeing at Cinema week before). Great movie and outstanding SD transfer. It came out 'quickly' as the film was released in the middle of 2006 in the UK, instead of being criminally buried at Christmas as it was here in the US.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nharmon91 /forum/post/0


Oh I got it, wow it came out fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,501 Posts
I'm in theatres here, watching the (fabulous) film on a fairly big screen (the Beach, for those in the T dot), and the Uni logo comes up... and all I can think is to a/b it with my HD titles, and pleased that this film will eventually hit my collection... All this before I've even watched a second of the film...


I think I need help...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
I'm finally going to see this tommorow in theaters I don't think I can wait until the DVD comes out. I love Clive Owen and it sounds really interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts
The movie is the most over-hyped movie of 2006. Critics who reviewed it early on were so myopic. If you make a movie that presents political ideas which conformed to yours(namely to the critic circles) in an artful way, all the glaring flaws of the movie will be unseen. One critic on cinematical.com even proclaimed it the best movie of the century.


I don't how anyone can not be bother by the glaring illogical premises of this movie. The movie is based on the premise that no human being has been produce for some 18 years. If you follow that logic, earth will lose at least 20% of its population. Yet the movie portrayed Britain as an overcrowded country with immigrates locked in cages on the streets in London. The police state Britain government also runs Abu Ghraib-like detention centers. If I were an immigrate, why would I want make my way across a body of water and live in a police state?


The whole immigration issue was a distraction and took away the main theme of the movie. The cinematography was excellent though ...I guess there is that if you want this on HD DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
The rest of the world was pretty much demolished with War etc. that's why people were trying to get to Britain...it was all that was left standing... I think the fact that it was a police state didn't stop immigrants from going, seeing as the other option was certain death. These so called 'illogical premises' seem pretty damn logical if you pay attention to the film - and it is a work of science fiction portraying a future world in disarray...if these stopped you from enjoying the film, I feel bad for you .


Easily one of the best of the year and I'm eagerly awaiting the HD DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc3000 /forum/post/0


The rest of the world was pretty much demolished with War etc. that's why people were trying to get to Britain...it was all that was left standing... I think the fact that it was a police state didn't stop immigrants from going, seeing as the other option was certain death. These so called 'illogical premises' seem pretty damn logical if you pay attention to the film - and it is a work of science fiction portraying a future world in disarray...if these stopped you from enjoying the film, I feel bad for you .


Easily one of the best of the year and I'm eagerly awaiting the HD DVD.


Yes ...the rest of the world was demolished because of wars EXCEPT Britain. That is so logical ...I got a nice beach property in Arizona to sell to you. As if Britain is all the sudden immune to wars ...get real. I know ...over 1 billion already died ...lets have wars and kill the rest of us!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,364 Posts
Very good movie. Even if it isn't perfect, I do recommend it to anyone who asks.


I'm looking forward to this on HD DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Completely disagree - overhyped ? Please, most people in this country haven't heard of it.


If you fixate on the partial MacGuffin of the infertility _reason_ then I think you miss the deeper message of the film. In addition, I'm from the UK and I can tell you that the vision of London and the UK is a startlingly frightning yet plausible vision of a future, with certain things tweaked and amped up of course to serve the story.


But we're each entitled to our opinions, so I'll leave it there - the treatment of violence is quite striking - there is no glorification, thank goodness....


-g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyHD /forum/post/0


The movie is the most over-hyped movie of 2006. Critics who reviewed it early on were so myopic. If you make a movie that presents political ideas which conformed to yours(namely to the critic circles) in an artful way, all the glaring flaws of the movie will be unseen. One critic on cinematical.com even proclaimed it the best movie of the century.


I don't how anyone can not be bother by the glaring illogical premises of this movie. The movie is based on the premise that no human being has been produce for some 18 years. If you follow that logic, earth will lose at least 20% of its population. Yet the movie portrayed Britain as an overcrowded country with immigrates locked in cages on the streets in London. The police state Britain government also runs Abu Ghraib-like detention centers. If I were an immigrate, why would I want make my way across a body of water and live in a police state?


The whole immigration issue was a distraction and took away the main theme of the movie. The cinematography was excellent though ...I guess there is that if you want this on HD DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyHD /forum/post/0


The movie is the most over-hyped movie of 2006. Critics who reviewed it early on were so myopic. If you make a movie that presents political ideas which conformed to yours(namely to the critic circles) in an artful way, all the glaring flaws of the movie will be unseen. One critic on cinematical.com even proclaimed it the best movie of the century.


I don't how anyone can not be bother by the glaring illogical premises of this movie. The movie is based on the premise that no human being has been produce for some 18 years. If you follow that logic, earth will lose at least 20% of its population. Yet the movie portrayed Britain as an overcrowded country with immigrates locked in cages on the streets in London. The police state Britain government also runs Abu Ghraib-like detention centers. If I were an immigrate, why would I want make my way across a body of water and live in a police state?


The whole immigration issue was a distraction and took away the main theme of the movie. The cinematography was excellent though ...I guess there is that if you want this on HD DVD.

It may be a bit hokey in a few places, but it has scenes of greatness as well. I thought the movie was awesome and it prompted me to read the book. The book is pretty different from the movie other than the title, basis of world without children, overall elegiac tone and theme of hope in a seemingly hopeless world. Both the movie and book are excellent, but in different ways.


Regarding immigration, I agree with you to some extent; I can see how the issue could be considered overplayed. I vaguely remember the movie having a short sequence implying that other countries were in chaos thereby leaving Britain (coincidentally, the author is British) as the best remnant of civilization. I disagree with the assertion that the immigration issue detracted from the central theme. One of themes in the film is that organizations with or seeking to acquire power may have an agenda that isn't necessarily concerned with the large majority of folks who simply want to live a reasonable life. The immigrants serve to support that theme.


Regarding the politics, I agree there's one sign that could have been removed without any impact on the film.


Anyways, I'll be buying the HD DVD as soon as it's available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Forget the politics and enjoy the craftsmanship! There is a scene in the film that is a single 10 minute take from inside a car that is without doubt one of the most amazing pieces of film making I've ever seen. Alfonso Cuaron is a fantastic director, just compare his Harry Potter that bursts with cinematic imagination and magic to Chris Columbus's slavish copy of the book.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top