AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
I cannot wait for this to come out in the U.S. Seen the movie twice in the theater already. Looking forward to breaking down those loooooong single-take shots in the movie and figuring out how the hell they did them.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty James /forum/post/0

I cannot wait for this to come out in the U.S. Seen the movie twice in the theater already. Looking forward to breaking down those loooooong single-take shots in the movie and figuring out how the hell they did them.

Yeah, those were awesome scenes. Very impressive.

The long war single-take shots were some of the most realistic I've seen too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
seen this twice also in the last two weeks.was tempted to order this on sdvd from uk this week but i"ll wait for the hd version.for me the most powerful film of last year that i saw.and those single take shots,wow.just can't say enough about this film.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Just saw this the other day. Excellent movie.

Great shots, fantastic cinematography, clever sound design, and HUGE potential to become a stunning HD presentation.

My only hope is that Universal would give this movie either TrueHD or (preferably) uncompressed PCM audio. The soundtrack in this movie is so intense that plain old Dolby Digital Plus just won't do it justice.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassoon /forum/post/0

either TrueHD or (preferably) uncompressed PCM audio

Why do you prefer uncompressed PCM?

·
Registered
566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/0

While the issue of which offers better audio is up for debate, I personally feel that uncompressed audio ensures a much more comprehensive audio experience, simply because I've gotten used to it with my Blu-ray purchases (Black Hawk Down comes to mind).

I've yet to experience what TrueHD has to offer, and while I have absolutely NOTHING against its use, I just feel that with PCM you get the same audio fidelty you experience in the theatres.

Personal taste, nothing more

·
Registered
8,364 Posts

Quote:

While the issue of which offers better audio is up for debate, I personally feel that uncompressed audio ensures a much more comprehensive audio experience, simply because I've gotten used to it with my Blu-ray purchases (Black Hawk Down comes to mind).

I've yet to experience what TrueHD has to offer, and while I have absolutely NOTHING against its use, I just feel that with PCM you get the same audio fidelty you experience in the theatres.

Except that TrueHD provides lossless compression.

Assuming the same bit depth and frequency range, TrueHD = PCM in data content, but takes up less space. There is no data loss at all with TrueHD.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts

Quote:

Assuming the same bit depth and frequency range, TrueHD = PCM in data content, but takes up less space. There is no data loss at all with TrueHD.

People are hearing a difference it seems. I'm wondering if Toshiba's hardware is simply not outputting enough on the TrueHD tracks. Any deficit in db level will likely cause people to choose the louder signal in a comparison. I've a lot of people on these boards speak on LPCM as if it's superior to TrueHD and technically speaking it should not be regarding AQ.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0

People are hearing a difference it seems. I'm wondering if Toshiba's hardware is simply not outputting enough on the TrueHD tracks. Any deficit in db level will likely cause people to choose the louder signal in a comparison. I've a lot of people on these boards speak on LPCM as if it's superior to TrueHD and technically speaking it should not be regarding AQ.

The problem of course being that it's impossible to make a valid comparison, so when people say they feel LPCM sounds better the TrueHD, all they're saying is that the like one movie's soundtrack over another's. Until the same movie is in a TrueHD version and a LPCM version, it's silly to say that you can call one superior to the other.

·
Registered
566 Posts

Quote:

At this point in time, I really don't care, just as long as it's NOT Dolby Digital "Plus"

·
Registered
310 Posts

Quote:

Some people out there think that uncompressed PCM is better, although that is kind of impossible. The only way it could be better is if the PCM is 24-bit and the Dolby TrueHD stream is 16-bit, which could be the case.

This is the one film that will probably make me buy an HD-DVD addon for my 360, even though I have a PS3 with 20+ BDs. It was that good.

·
Registered
310 Posts

Quote:

The theatres use Dolby Digital 5.1 most of the time, other times they use DTS.

·
Registered
566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron /forum/post/0

Some people out there think that uncompressed PCM is better, although that is kind of impossible. The only way it could be better is if the PCM is 24-bit and the Dolby TrueHD stream is 16-bit, which could be the case.

This is the one film that will probably make me buy an HD-DVD addon for my 360, even though I have a PS3 with 20+ BDs. It was that good.

Which is why I think it really deserves the advanced audio treatment.

By the way, seeing as Dolby TrueHD = losslessly compressed PCM, then I guess it would make sense to crank the bitrate all the way up before compression.

I just hope Universal would just follow Warner's example.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.