AVS Forum banner

841 - 860 of 1329 Posts

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #843 (Edited)
Busy day today, started verifying locations of my sconces to ensure they're in the exact location. Did one wall, the started putting up insulation. Tomorrow I'll drywall the closet adjacent to the room to help with sounds containment, finish the positions of the sconces and outlets and come close to finishing insulation.

Bud

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Looking at your photos, the framing of your bearing wall is warping a little. Could just be the wood, but it could also be a little bowing due to the pressure from above.

I'd suggest throw in some cripple studs to true up the 2x's.

I did a nifty doctoring of your photo and put spiffy text and arrows on it, but it won't show up when I reload the photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #848
I think behind that stud is the equipment closet. I'm not sure how much pressure is really on it with the four 2x6s right next to it with the header. I think if there were other really noticable warping/bending on all those studs, I'd definitely pull them. The other side of the right side of that wall is the bathroom, so you've a vanity and a toilet right there. Also on the right side is another sister wall (in parallel) with the plumbing running through it, I guess they didn't want to put the plumbing through the load bearing wall. I wrapped, putty padded and acousitcal caulked all the friggin' holes, plus it's double insulated (just need that last piece on the right).

Bud

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,231 Posts
in reality you could probably take that warped stud out and never know the difference, but since it has drywall just leave it. If you can't sleep at night for fear of the house falling you could always just insert a nice straight one next to it

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #852
Acoustik (Serenity) Mat, Green Glue, Adhesive, Sealant arrived. Met the truck at the bottom of the drive and just loaded the back of my truck up. Managed to get everything down in the basement with the help of my son, minus the mat. That stuff is heavy. Thanks Ted!

Did I mention my kid is 6'6.25" at barely 16? He's got a 6'9" wingspan to match. Lots pf basketball tournaments coming up starting next month at over the southeast.

Bud

Attachments

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #855
So how is the room itself coming along? Did you get the Serenity Mat installed? Double drywall in progress? I like seeing your updates.
Came to a crawl. Been traveling pretty much every weekend this summer with hoops. I did, however manage to pick up more doors that were custom made. Those suckers weigh like 300 pounds each. We had a tournament in Atlanta so I was able to swing by Steve's workshop and picks them up. He did a great job. I'll have to post pictures when I can. Doors, green glue, acoustic mat are all piled up in the corner waiting for me to get back to work. I have to find a local supplier for drywall as well. Things have been a little expensive for me this past month or so with AC issues, a leaking toilet and my son had an accident with his car (he's OK, we're still waiting for the car to return from the body shop so I can put a new differential in it after that...2500.00 later and 7500.00 in car damage).

I think I'll be able to find some time this weekend to do some minor things and then off to Boston next weekend for a wedding. Aft arhat I have a few weeks until another BBall camp in October. I'm also now the president of the basketball booster club, so that sucks up more time.

I know - excuses, excuses.

Bud

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #856
Here are the door s. He actually made the exterior door of the theater to match my existing door styles. The white one is the example door style obviously. He did an amazing job. Very heavy as well.

Bud

Attachments

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Oh, come on... 12footers aren't bad to work with.

I did my entire basement (about 1700sqft finished) myself with 4x12 1/2" drywall, and the theater with double layer 4x12 5/8" drywall. A drywall lift was a MUST. I found a guy that let me borrow one for about a month. LOL Can't imagine renting one that long.

The best part was having the local drywall company delivering everything exactly where I wanted it in my house. I didn't have to do anything to get it all into the house. That was SO nice compared to previous basement finishing that I did where I bought what I could from a local home improvement store, loaded it up myself in my own vehicle, drive it home, unload it myself, and then repeat until I had enough to do my basement. So last time I asked for a quote, it was cheaper than buying from Home Depot or the like, and free delivery INTO my house. Win-Win all around.

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,628 Posts
Probably doable, but I've had both knees replaced and I'm working alone, so I'm playing the part of wimp. I do already have a lift, so that's the good news. At least I'm progressing. :)

Bud
I'm off next week so I might be able to come over and help one day. I've got to make a quick trip to ATL and I'm not sure what day that is yet but other than that I'd be glad to break away to help get a theater back in gear. :). Send me a PM.

EDIT - Not sure if you need it but I have a drywall gun and a bucket full of Senco #6x1.25" screws on a collated roll. And my dad has a drywall hoist for the ceiling, which I can get him to bring if you need it. I'm not signing up for drywall taping work though, not my area of expertise. :)

841 - 860 of 1329 Posts