AVS Forum banner

861 - 880 of 1329 Posts

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #863 (Edited)
I'm off next week so I might be able to come over and help one day. I've got to make a quick trip to ATL and I'm not sure what day that is yet but other than that I'd be glad to break away to help get a theater back in gear. :). Send me a PM.

EDIT - Not sure if you need it but I have a drywall gun and a bucket full of Senco #6x1.25" screws on a collated roll. And my dad has a drywall hoist for the ceiling, which I can get him to bring if you need it. I'm not signing up for drywall taping work though, not my area of expertise. :)
Hey, I appreciate that. I do have a lift already. Good there. I may take you up on the help though. I have a couple of things to wrap up this weekend, including the leftover insulation and conduit to the rack. Should be quick though. Hopefully ythe come early enough on Monday to get moving. Basketball tournament on Friday and Sat.

Bud

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #864
Here is the before photo .... I'll check in tomorrow and see how far I get.

Drywall guys were late, suppose to be here at noon and showed maybe at 3:30. Fortunately I caught my neighbor and he signed the "driveway release form" and there able to back right up to the side door to unload. Four guys doing two sheets at a pop and it didn't take them long to unload.

The boy got into the National Honor Society and the celebration is tonight, so I had to call it quits for the day.

Bud

Attachments

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,213 Posts
its been a cancer across the country, they convinced us that if they blew air into the boards they could charge us extra because it is easier to install. And it costs them less to ship. The drywall professionals are more than happy to save their backs but it is less mass for sound isolation.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #868 (Edited)
OK, made some decent progress, calling it a day. Started around 9:30 and took a small break for lunch. If I didn't have the lift, I'd still be on the first board. Slacking off tomorrow, playing some golf, but may work some when I return.

Bud

Attachments

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #870
I'm trying to be real diligent about penetrations and have a box of acoustic sealant I'm using as I'm going along. Fortunately, behind that wall is concrete and above that is the garage slab. The drywall around the HVAC duct coming through was pretty tight and that'll be behind the screen wall. I'll seal the crap out of that.

No prewire for Atmos. Wasn't in the original design, which is now a few years old. At this point, I just want it done before the kids head off the college.

Bud

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #871 (Edited)
First layer is complete. Well, almost. I have one more partial panel to put up and will do that tonight. I'll go back with acoustic sealant and seal all the joints and make sure I've got that covered. Later this week I'll put a rough coat of mud over everything (except the corners) just to make sure everything is covered. May be overkill.

Of the 38 sheets, I have 10 left, just enough for the second layer on the ceiling. I plan on doing that in a few weeks when I'm off for the holidays. I'll be up to my eyeballs in green glue at that point. I want to see if I can order 10' sheets of 5/8" this time so I can do the walls vertically, otherwise I'm going to have a 7" seam at the top or the bottom if I'm alternating.

I'll post pictures later in the week.

Bud

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #874
Kevin,

Thanks. We're a good hour away from Gatlinburg, although there are fires everyplace. I feel so bad for the towns and the people. I'm not sure if we know all the damage thats been done yet.

We had some fires not far from our cabin in North GA as well. It already burned down once, would hate to see that happen again.

Bud

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
don't forget the bottoms between the drywall and the concrete.
Thanks Jeff, I'll seal those after the second layer and the Acoustik mat and subfloor go in. Need to also source some Linacoustic in Knoxville, otherwise I'll have to road trip it to Atlanta.

Bud
The Green Glue folks recommend sealing only after the second layer so there is an air gap behind the caulking. All their SIMs show this as well. My selective OCD tells me to caulk each layer fully, but in the end I think I'll follow their SIM and do like Bud is doing for his room.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #879
The Green Glue folks recommend sealing only after the second layer so there is an air gap behind the caulking. All their SIMs show this as well. My selective OCD tells me to caulk each layer fully, but in the end I think I'll follow their SIM and do like Bud is doing for his room.
There's probably some air gap back there anyway, even after the first round of caulk. My real concern was the seams between sheets, not necessarily the perimeter of the room, but whats done is done and how much will it make a difference? No idea, I'll let the experts chime in. I wanted to make sure I sealed the crap out of it. :)

Bud

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
We had some fires not far from our cabin in North GA as well. It already burned down once, would hate to see that happen again.
And here I go on about having two floods. Hoping you don't have second problem.

Room looking good. I probably didn't seal the first layer as tight as it could have been but am still totally happy with the results. I'd bet you will be, too.

861 - 880 of 1329 Posts