AVS Forum banner

881 - 900 of 1329 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
...but whats done is done and how much will it make a difference?...
I literally say this all the time. Electrical penetrations are a great example. You have guys which run all electrical through penetrations in the soundproof shell which are then sealed up. But then you have other guys who move heaven and Earth to avoid any penetrations at all costs. In the end will it really make a difference? Probably not...or the difference will be so small as to be imperceptible.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #882 (Edited)
Spend most of yesterday afternoon and the evening using up what drywall I had left. Of the 38 sheets, I'm pretty much down to scraps. I went ahead and did the second layer of drywall on the ceiling, using GG in between. Expected it to be messier, but it wasn't bad at all. I was dreading having to clean the speed loader, but that worked out as well. I used almost a whole bucket on the ceiling, I have two buckets left. Not sure how I'm pacing.

I started in the afternoon around 2:00 PM and didn't want to stop until the ceiling was down, ended up finishing (including the shower) about 1:00 AM. I'm little sore and a little tired!

Bud

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #885
Drywall arrived Friday AM. Sorry, no pictures, but if you were to look at the last picture of the drywall stack and squint a little, pretty much looks exactly like that.

Had to get the neighbor to sign a driveway release form again, this time I caught him before he ran out for work. The supply guys showed up and instead of the smaller flatbed, they showed up with the boom truck, so they couldn't go up the driveway with it. They boomed it as far as they could and carried it the rest of the way. Guess I didn't need that release form anyway. Definitely worth the extra spend to get it delivered and brought into the basement. Probably worth paying someone to install as well, but I'm a glutton for punishment.

No traction since Friday though. Worked the rest of the day at home and played golf in the cold and rain yesterday. Today was a lazy day. Tomorrow running errands (off the rest of the year) and going back at it Tuesday AM.

Stay tuned.

Bud

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #887
Double drywall complete! About friggin' time.

Son was occupied with the latest Assassins Creed game, my daughter was sick and the wife napped most of the afternoon, so I headed down and wrapped up the remaining seven sheets of drywall. Today I'll seal everything with acoustic caulk and maybe do some quick mud.

Hope everyone had a great Xmas!

Bud

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #888 (Edited)
Finished reinstalling the lights, the acoustical caulk until I ran out and got some mud done today. Started the ceiling but got tired and wrapped up for the evening. I'm thinking that I'll finish the ceiling up to a true finish and prime it before I move to the floor. I have to frame out the back counter, then I'll do the door installs, then the floor.

Bud

Attachments

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #892
Did another coat of mud on the wall seams yesterday, finished out the drywall on the inside of the equipment closest and mudded that. A little cleanup there, some sanding and maybe another light coat there and I can move on from there. I do need a door for the closet.

And I found my stilts! They were buried in the corner in our storage room. Need another bucket of mud and I'll get the ceiling wrapped up in the next couple of days.

Bud

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #893
Making progress. more mud today. Finished the first coat on the ceiling, finished all the corners. Starting to actually look like a room again. More ceiling tomorrow after I bring Chief to the vet (pictured). He's my loyal pal.

Check out Mr. Stilts! New knees, but can still get up on those puppies!

Bud

Attachments

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #896
It's nice to have vacation time and be able to get a lot of theater room stuff done. My wife and daughter are working my son's basketball tournament (day 3 - local though) and my son left for a workout, so I'm heading down to touch up a few spots on the ceiling and do some sanding. Hopefully, I'll be ready to prime the ceiling later today. If I can get that done, then tomorrow I'll install the doors with my son's help. I'm thinking I need something under the threshold, like a piece of roofing paper to keep it off the concrete. Fortunately there is a lot of construction going on in the neighborhood so maybe I can find a small piece laying around. The roof went on a house across the street last week, but they already delivered a dumpster and cleaned up the site. It's still there, maybe a little afternoon dumpster diving is in order. I don't want to buy a roll just for that. Maybe if things go well, I can get the subfloor down on Sunday.

Bud

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #899 (Edited)
More progress today. Minor touchups to the ceiling and getting ready to paint. Probably will take a few hours off and tackle that tonight. Doors are installed! VERY heavy. I had to take the doors off the jambs and get the jambs perfect in the frame. The door needs to be flush with the drywall, so there is a 1.5" jamb reveal all around, but this will be taken care of later as the door is "hidden". once every was plumb, square and level, I used some finishing names and then 3" drywall scores to hold everything solid. I had to put the screws through the jamb (not as a longer hinge screw), so I'll get a counter sync bit and some plugs and take care of them that way. The screw positions on the hinge wouldn't allow the screw to really hit the studs, only the double drywall due to the flush door/wall combo.

Theater entrance:

Concession area door:

Time for a nap and some football.

Bud

Attachments

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #900 (Edited)
On a roll. Got the ceiling primed this morning, I took the left over primer and did one of the walls in the concession area. Had to run some errands during the day, but got back in the theater around 2:00 and started to lay out and install the acoustik mat. Forgot how heavy that stuff is. Most of it is done, have about a foot strip to do yet, I'll try and take that this week.

DA5 - sticky stuff!

Almost there:

I also included an outside shot of the theater door. That thing is a beast!

Bud

Attachments

881 - 900 of 1329 Posts