AVS Forum banner

901 - 920 of 1329 Posts

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,216 Posts

there is something very interesting in this picture. Look at the hinge position on the jamb. Totally opposite what you normally see. The door opens outward but the face of the door inside the theater is flush with the drywall. This allows acoustic treatments to be mounted on the door and they will be flush with those in the theater. Looks like Steve Kujala did a great job on your custom doors. Is that a totally mortised drop down bottom seal?

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #903 (Edited)
That's exactly why I wasn't going to mess with building a door myself or trying to order something through the big box stores. Steve did a great job and I swear that thing must weigh 300 lbs. Here are some more pictures of the seal. The last one is from underneath the door.

Bud

Attachments

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Who is this Steve guy? I am in need of a custom door and so far a week of phone calls around my area hasn't amounted to anything promising. It's like if it's not standard they don't care about the extra money envolved. Weird but to each their own. If they make enough regular extendended jambs and custom doors that are standard sizes to push away a client then that's their call. :-(

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #906

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Hey Dave, thanks. Hope you're doing well.

Bud
Not too bad. Just moved to Houston. Have a little 13x13 media room pre-built in the house I bought. Expecting to rip it to the studs within the next year and build it back up the right way. I have a lot of unpacking, re-furnishing and what not to get through first (and a new job to figure out). Looks like the superbowl will be on the 55" plasma this year.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #910
Not too bad. Just moved to Houston. Have a little 13x13 media room pre-built in the house I bought. Expecting to rip it to the studs within the next year and build it back up the right way. I have a lot of unpacking, re-furnishing and what not to get through first (and a new job to figure out). Looks like the superbowl will be on the 55" plasma this year.
Houston, huh? Big change there. I know what its like to rip it out and start over. Hopefully it wasn't double drywalled!

Bud

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #913
Hey Doug, thanks.

Having the stilts helps, you really pay attention to what you're doing when you're on them. I just made sure the mud had enough water in it and worked it well so I didn't have a lot of bubbles. Goes on smoother and less sanding. I have a few spots to touch up, but going to wait until the coffers are in and I'll double check everything again.

Wanted to get plywood today, but haven't venture out yet in the snow from last night. We had maybe 2 inches.

Bud

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Been awhile since I checked in. Looking good and looks like lots of progress! LOVE, love, love the door! Gorgeous! Regarding the picture of you in stilts, I have always wanted to try them out, but I'm too much of a chicken %$#@ to do it!

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Hey Doug, thanks.

Having the stilts helps, you really pay attention to what you're doing when you're on them. I just made sure the mud had enough water in it and worked it well so I didn't have a lot of bubbles. Goes on smoother and less sanding. I have a few spots to touch up, but going to wait until the coffers are in and I'll double check everything again.

Wanted to get plywood today, but haven't venture out yet in the snow from last night. We had maybe 2 inches.

Bud
Well, it looks great, so congrats.

We got about 1/8", so of course FedEx used that as an excuse to push delivery of my two new MiniDSPs til Monday. Not like I rushed delivery of the Blue Jeans Cables or anything... :mad:

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #916
Been awhile since I checked in. Looking good and looks like lots of progress! LOVE, love, love the door! Gorgeous! Regarding the picture of you in stilts, I have always wanted to try them out, but I'm too much of a chicken %$#@ to do it!

Regards,

RTROSE
Thanks for checking in. You should have a go at them, really not bad at all. Just make sure the floor is clear!

Bud

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,628 Posts
Thanks.

Too friggin cold and icy to get plywood this weekend, hopefully I can do it this week when it warms up in a couple of days.

Bud
As a friend of mine once said... :D

Ugh. Wimps!

Bud
My wife and I each got out Saturday and Sunday and we're what, 5-10 min from you. You were just being lazy enjoying the warmth...not a bad plan. :D

901 - 920 of 1329 Posts