AVS Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1329 Posts

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,121
Made a few mistakes that I recently figured out.

First, I ran balanced audio and RG59 for the subs. I misread DE's low voltage plan, he also required 12AWG speaker wire as well. Sure enough the subs use speaker wire. Fortunately, I also ran conduit from the projector box to the front of the stage. I ran conduit from the rack to the projector box, so I guess I'll be running speaker wire.

Second, all the 1/2" MDF for the framing is 6" wide. I didn't account for the 1" lin acoustic under the soffits, so that leaves 5" exposed. O can leave it or add a 1" strip to even it out. I'll probably do the latter.

Bud

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,122 (Edited)
Got some help from my daughter tonight, did a little bit of priming. She was a big help. Still need to buy trim and start that install.

Oh and another hot water heater leak!!! Third time a copper part at the water heater failed. I have to run out tomorrow and get the part. That's two flex copper pipes and one copper elbow with leaks. Luckily I caught it before it made too much of a mess.

It wasn't really at that angle, once I got the water off, I bent it to get a better angle to get the water into the bucket....

Bud

Attachments

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,124
Been going back and forth with Roman (www.rtheaters.com) on theater seats, just put an order in for the Fusion Jive seats. Roman's great to work with. I'm going with a row of four in black in a double love seat config (IOOIOOI) and that puts me at 103", which is the width of the counter wall currently (without any overhang). Black leather/vinyl match with power recline. These are narrow and long, with 21.5 inch seat pans - had to go this route due to the width concerns and need four seats. There is no picture of the config, but here are a few pictures:

Bud

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,625 Posts
I was thinking of getting some of his loveseats when I replace the couches in the living room. So I'll be interested to check those out when you get them.

Reactions: chinadog

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,126 (Edited)
Latest update. Speakers installed, not all connected, have not attempted to fire them up. First coat of Black Mocha done. I also extended my upper MDF an extra inch last night, so we're good to go. The subs are 60 lbs. I have four 100 lb anchors holding them in place using RISC DC04 clips.I also put four on each of the LCRs since I had them and this are only 16 lbs. Think they'll be fine! All the surrounds are installed as well (and connected).

Got hoops this weekend, so trim will start on Monday. No scheduled carpet install yet. :rolleyes:

Bud

Attachments

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Nice work, Bud!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Question. I assume that the bottom two are subwoofers (maybe mid-bass depending on what you are doing), but why is one in the corner and the other between the center and right? I know that there is a lot of debate about putting lower frequency units (subs, mid-bass) in corners, but you usually see some level of symmetry due to tastes. Both in corners, both at 1/3 or 1/4 width, but usually not a mix of the two.

Not criticizing at all. Just wondering. Maybe you measured the response in the room and these are the golden spots that you like. Just seems like you are thinking outside the box, and I like that. I also like hearing the rationale too so that I can keep that in mind for myself down the road should I ever do a v5.0 theater.

(NOTE: Maybe you already mentioned the placement elsewhere, but I subscribe to too many topics to actually read all of them. I barely have time to even look at people's pictures. LOL)

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,130
Question. I assume that the bottom two are subwoofers (maybe mid-bass depending on what you are doing), but why is one in the corner and the other between the center and right? I know that there is a lot of debate about putting lower frequency units (subs, mid-bass) in corners, but you usually see some level of symmetry due to tastes. Both in corners, both at 1/3 or 1/4 width, but usually not a mix of the two.

Not criticizing at all. Just wondering. Maybe you measured the response in the room and these are the golden spots that you like. Just seems like you are thinking outside the box, and I like that. I also like hearing the rationale too so that I can keep that in mind for myself down the road should I ever do a v5.0 theater.

(NOTE: Maybe you already mentioned the placement elsewhere, but I subscribe to too many topics to actually read all of them. I barely have time to even look at people's pictures. LOL)
Thanks for asking.

Simple answer. It's in the exact location based on Dennis Erskine's design. :) See that diagram on the wall? Lower right specifies the locations of the speakers/subs. Building everything to spec based on his plans.

Bud

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Nice and simple answer.

Now if @Dennis Erskine would give a 20 word explanation, that would be cool. :cool: Even just a "The frequency response is better due to exiting more nodes in the corner, but not corner loading both of them."

Again, I'm just a curious guy, not that my life hinges on such knowledge. I know that Dennis doesn't do things haphazardly, and it would be cool to hear from someone like him about it just as general education.

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,625 Posts
It's the simulation software that he, Nyal, and other pro theater designers use that take into account the size, shape, and construction of the room when placing subs. So the less than 20 word answer could be because the software (and his experience) said so. :). I was just conversing with Nyal today on a similar topic and he gave a similar answer to what I just stated. :) I'd really like access to that software but not enough to drop several thousand dollars, though maybe one day.

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,849 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,138
1121 - 1140 of 1329 Posts