AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am looking to increase, isn't everybody, my PQ from all sources for my PT-42PD3P. I have been researching scalers and came across the AVT-3700 which will convert all inputs to 480p and output to the panny via a RGBHV output to the panny through its RGB input.

I inquired as to the chip set in the AVT-3700 and was told it is a Trident chip set. Anyone know of this chipset? Is it better or worse than the panny's? What would some other ones be?

As I am trying to get better PQ from, basically, sat and cable and already have good strong signals, do you think that getting an external scaler will help towards that end. Is an external scaler/line doubler inherently better than the interior scaler of the latest plasmas?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Based on my experiments with a few different progressive DVD decks, the only chip that showed a consistent, noticable improvement over the Panny's internal de-interlacer was the Faroudja chip used in some of the real good Panny DVD players like the RP-82. That difference is noticable on DVD source, but I'm not sure even the Faroudja would show a meaningful diference on typical cable and sat signals.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.