AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried TV cards based on this chipset? Was doing my web trek and found the Prolink Pixelview PlayTV HD uses this chipset.
http://www.prolink.com.tw/new_web/pr...V%20HD_new.htm

Supposed to be high quality, apparently. Found a small press release on the chipset here:
http://www.dtvprofessional.com/2001/...nt_decoder.htm

Is this chipset good/compatible with lots of software out there, or best to stay away from? I'm tempted to buy this card for the stereo audio. Anyone care to report their thoughts on it before I make a possibly stupid decision?

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi,

1 question, does the latest beta Dscaler support the new chipset yet? Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
184 Posts
People looking for a low profile tv capture card this might be the one, notice the height is half a full size card. Plus it says 300Mhz requirement only for 720x480 captures at 30fps(I'd have to see this). Thats one big chip on that card. Its nice where starting to see new generation chips finally, thanks for the link. Someone review it! CX23880/CX23881 is based on Conexant's Bt878A for audio and video capture so it should work right out of the box with Dscaler, except for adding the new feature abilities in & a new ID from the PCI bus. Here's a product brief of the CX23881.
http://www.aitinc.com.tw/eFile/eFile...ct%20brief.pdf

48Khz 90db snr stereo audio

Adaptive multi-line 2-D comb filter

8- or 10-bit ITU-R 656 4:2:2 output

Dedicated 80 Mbps MPEG port

44Mbps for full-size 768 x 576 PAL RGB32

Also they have another model card called XCapture it looks almost identical, just has different inputs, unsure what the difference is.
http://www.prolink.com.tw/new_web/ne...pture_0509.htm

Maybe one model has 8bit input the other 10bit input.

·
Registered
389 Posts
There's the conspicuous absence of a TV tuner on the XCapture. I'd say that's a significant difference. :)

It's a stubby, low-profile card, perfect for use with DScaler when using external video sources, and perfect for small HTPC Cases. I think I need to look into this card further.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Li On
Hi,

1 question, does the latest beta Dscaler support the new chipset yet? Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On
It would appear that some new code is required, hopefully Conexant will make the code available to the DScaler team soon. I guess that the quickest way to get support would be to send John Adcock a card to play with. ;)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
:D Yes Jeff is right, the fastest way to get DScaler support would be to get a card to me somehow, I imagine these cards will eventually make their way to the UK but I'm not holding my breath.

If these cards are backwards compatible then it should be failrly simple to add these cards, if they are not and I think they are similar but not fully backwards compatible then it will be a bit more work but not too bad.

It will obviosly not be worth doing that unless there is some benifit to the new cards, has anyone seen one in action, is the noise reduced, is the comb filter better?

John

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
This card looks quite good-how does it compare in actual PQ to wintv, Zoltrix etc? Also who is selling it?

joel

·
Registered
389 Posts
I did a quick Google search but didn't turn up much on the XCapture. There's not even much on the Prolink web site except the fact that it's a very new product, just announced on May 8th. There are email addresses and phone numbers on their site for information - which I think I'll use.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnAd
If these cards are backwards compatible then it should be failrly simple to add these cards, if they are not and I think they are similar but not fully backwards compatible then it will be a bit more work but not too bad.
Hi John,

I remembered some Conexant engineer said they're testing the new chip using modified Dscaler a few months back on the Dscaler mailing list. I thought the Dscaler team has contact with Conexant. Anyway, I'm looking forward to any update. Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Where's Dan when you need him?

-Steve

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was just about to buy the PixelView PlayTV Pro when I came across the HD model. Looks to be very cool, anyone know when we can buy them?

Or where?

Im in Australia, and hoping the card works here!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Li On

Yes the engineers have got DScaler working with the new chip, that suggests that it wasn't too hard to add support for it, but I won't know for sure until I see that code or play around myself. Also they will have made the changes to an older version and I will have to merge the changes into the latest version.

I'm also sure there will be some major design changes to accomodate the new chip and there will be lots of testing required to make sure everything works together.

I also think it will be prudent for DScaler to handle the marcrovision flag so that timeshifting and anything like that is disabled if a macrovision signal is detected. (subtext: I don't want any MPAA letters)

John

·
Registered
253 Posts
This chip has a full global audio decoder on-board. I have to assume that means DScalar would have to re-implement at least some of the audio code, most of the other PCI BM cards use something like a Micronas audio part and route it back in analog to the sound card...

Stephen

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dakyman
I was just about to buy the PixelView PlayTV Pro when I came across the HD model. Looks to be very cool, anyone know when we can buy them?

Or where?

Im in Australia, and hoping the card works here!
dakyman, check your PM

I haven't tried these puppies out yet, but if you wanna be first, gimme a buzz.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nice one mate, message received and replied to! :)

Id really love to hear some first hand reports on this card before taking the plunge, surely SOMEONE has seen, tried, or found a review on it?? Or is it simply still vapourware?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Stephen

Yes, if people wanted to onboard tuner then the sound would need some work, most people would want this card for external sources though.

Need to get my hands on a chip sheet for this.

John

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
The new chip has much better 10bit anologue to digital convertors which should mean much less noise, the bt8x8 had 8bit adc's.

The other major improvement is on the composite comb filter which has been upgraded from luma notch, chroma comb to a 2-d comb filter.

Also the sound being all on the same chip should make adding decent support for stereo easier.

There are probably other changes but these are the headlines for DScaler.

John

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.