AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gents,

I just got a brand new Hitachi 2tb drive and like usual I always do chkdsk /r's on my hard drives before I use them. BUT its been 25 hours since I started and its taking way longer than my 3tb hitachi did. Is it absolutely necessary to perform this step? I remember reading NTFS detects bad sectors (step 5) and remaps during normal operations? Reason Id like to stop the test is because the hd is in my 4bay enclosure and while chk dsk runs I cant seem to play movies from the other drives for a movie night tonight.

-Kevin

·
Registered
240 Posts
Don't worry, there's no need to perform a chkdsk on any HD unless you're getting file system errors. NTFS is pretty good maintaining filesystem health even if you constantly power you machine off and back on. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alrighty! Would windows tell me if i have a file system error? (never ran into one before)

-Kevin

·
Registered
240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/20905704

alrighty! Would windows tell me if i have a file system error? (never ran into one before)

-Kevin

If it's really bad (I've only seen this 2-3 times in the last 10 years or so) Windows will provide a pop-up, otherwise everything else goes into the event logs. If you run eventvwr.msc and check the SYSTEM log, you can see if there are any errors.

NTFS is pretty robust and has the ability to detect and fix filesystem errors on the fly. If you're really worried about file systems errors with your files, then you should backup whatever files are important to you.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rock solid responses gents! Thanks for all the help!

Much appreciated!

-Kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.