AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the Onkyo 705 FAQ (at least the entire first couple pages of it), and I know what the plus/minuses are in the comparison on paper. However, I'm not an audiophile, and I don't really have the money to become one unless I'm buying something...lol...I have to make a choice between the Onkyo HT-SP908 and getting the Onkyo 705 receiver, make-shift speakers from two different systems I currently own (2 surround speakers would be Pioneer Elite's, and the others would be from a Sony DAV-IS10 system.) I could buy a small sub around the $150-200 price point (I have a $800 budget). I use a PS3 as a blu-ray player/gaming machine, along with HD cable from Time Warner, an Xbox 360 & the HD-DVD add-on for the 360 which connects using component cable (no HDMI slot). I also have no plans on upgrading the players anytime until the price of a better player is under $100, so I'm guessing several years.

My primary concern is for games and movies. I've read enough about the PS3 to know it will process Dolby TrueHD from inside itself and cannot support DTS HD (I forget the exact name), at this time, but may or may not be added via a firmware upgrade. I've read the 605 will not Matrix (?) out a 5.1 signal to a 7.1 signal, which I think would impact my setup (I intend to use a 7.1 speaker setup), but I'm not positive about that. I have no intentions of adding an external amp, so I don't care about that, and if I need more HDMI slots, I can always get an HDMI switch box down the road.

I want to be able to get the best sound possible out of all the speakers in setup. Using a PS3, what will I be able to do with the 705 that I can't with the 605 receiver? I regretted getting the receiver I currently have in another room b/c I didn't spend an extra $200 to get Dolby Pro Logic II, which was pricy at the time, and I don't want that feeling again. I don't think I would have an issue upgrading the speakers later, but I don't want to pay for something twice, especially the receiver from a 605 to a 705 (or higher).

Thank you.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I think the 705 is rated for 4 ohm or higher loads (605 is 6 ohm or higher). That may be an issue depending on what speakers you buy down the road. Not sure about the matrix 7.1 on the 605.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Using a PS3, what will I be able to do with the 705 that I can't with the 605 receiver?
I was considering the same choices and ultimately went for the lesser cash outlay of the 605. I bought it over the phone (at a little better price than the one advertised online) and the CSR put it bluntly that there are really no big differences in the 605 vs 705 other than a 10W diff and the THX certification, which doesn't contribute much performance wise.

Even though I was ready to spend it, I couldn't justify the added expense of the 705 (and it was at a good price too). I've gone to Onkyo's website and done a side by side comparison. Being a non-audiophile myself, I don't see any huge differences that would lead me to purchase the 705. On top of that, a lot of posters here on AVS have went with the 605 so I also feel there is a wealth of info on here about it which could only prove more useful once mine is set up.

Your wants/needs may differ but once you set one or the other up, I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference to your ears.

Anyway, only you can decide, just some food for thought.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True, usually with most choices, I only get a day or two of obsessing over it and I run out and purchase it on impulse (in the past I would just entend my budget by $300-400 and pay for it on credit), but my wife isn't a big fan of that choice. Now, I find myself obsessing too far in advance, as I was originally going to go with the Onkyo SR-800, then I somehow got my wife to let me upgrade to the SR-908. It also seems the more posts I read, the more I end up confusing myself. I'll find that the HTIB bundle should more than fit my needs, then I'll read some about the 705 that leans me heavily in that direction, so I'm kinda just biding my time right now, and I do agree that I probably won't notice one way or the other.

If I can ask you one question about the Onkyo 605 & the PS3, if you output blu-ray using TrueHD audio, will it come out in all 7 speakers??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about the Onkyo TX-SR605 and Onkyo TX-SR705 as well. I have the Onkyo HT-SR800 home theater system currently, and I am planning on upgrading the receiver to either the Onkyo TX-SR605 or Onkyo TX-SR705 [I have not decided]. This is probably going to happen around summertime so I have a while.

Question: If I continue to use the Onkyo HT-SR800's speakers with the Onkyo TX-SR605 or Onkyo TX-SR705 will that be okay? I also have a pair of Yamaha bookshelves that serve as my fronts [not sure of the model]. I currently have a HD-XA2 hooked up to the Onkyo HT-SR800 via the 5.1 analog ins, and my 60 GB PS3 connected via optical.

With the new receiver I would swap from the analogs to a single HDMI cable so I could bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, while my PS3 could decode Dolby TrueHD and send it to the receiver as LPCM over HDMI. Uncompressed PCM tracks on Blu-Rays would require no decoding from the Onkyo TX-SR605 or Onkyo TX-SR705 so that could be passed over HDMI pretty easily.

I am still wondering if a new receiver is even worth it though. I guess if the PS3 gets the ability to decode DTS-HD Master Audio internally then the upgrade might be more worthwhile because I have a lot of DTS-HD Master Audio Blu-Rays, however I think I should hold off and wait.

Ideally I would want to have:

HD-XA2 bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD Master Audio to Onkyo TX-SR705 or the Onkyo TX-SR605 using HDMI.

PS3 decoding Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio internally [with a future firmware upgrade I hope], sending out as LPCM to Onkyo TX-SR705 or the Onkyo TX-SR605 using HDMI.

OR

HD-XA2 decoding Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus internally, sent out as PCM from analog outs to analog ins on a 7.1 analog switcher which would then be sent out from the switcher's analog outs to Onkyo HT-SR800 analog ins.

Panasonic DMP-BD50 decoding Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio internally, sent out as PCM from analog outs to analog ins on a 7.1 analog switcher which would then be sent out from the switcher's analog outs to Onkyo HT-SR800 analog ins.

I am pretty sure the second option would be more expensive, heh.

·
Registered
792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by synbios1978 /forum/post/0

If I can ask you one question about the Onkyo 605 & the PS3, if you output blu-ray using TrueHD audio, will it come out in all 7 speakers??

The PS3 can output 7.1 pcm via hdmi, so if the movie has a 7.1 audio track, you'll hear it. From the FAQ in the 705 thread:

7) Why should I get a 705 over the 605?

- ability to post process 5.1 channel PCM signals (ie from internally decoding BD/HDDVD players) to 6.1 or 7.1 (605 apparently cant do this on 5.1ch PCM)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I thought that meant, but I wasn't sure.....I have a feeling that would drive me nuts. So, I'll probably lean towards getting the 705 with the Onkyo HT540 speakers instead of the Onkyo 908 HTIB. Thanks for all the info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts