AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a source for a new full warranty Fuji PDS-5004 for $8260, $100 delivery (or free if I pick it up locally, can do). I know the new Fuji is out, don't want to spend another $2800. My other choice is the Pio 503 with the new AVP 1000 card for $6100 + $714, no shipping. I'm not considering the Panny because for the price I'd rather the Fuji.

Has anyone seen the 503 with the new AVP 1000? I've just seen the previous card and that was an excellent picture but not as good as the Fuji for depth and color saturation.

With technology and pricing changing so fast I'm hesitant to go for the Fuji but - great price, great picture - I don't know .... what would you do?

Richard

·
Registered
860 Posts
I thought the AVP1000 wasn't out until the first of the year? Personally, I'd stay away from the AVP1000 because as I understand it, the tuner is NTSC only, meaning you have to get an external box anyway (assuming you want HD). When the ATSC version of the Aurora card comes out, that will be a bit more competitive.

As to your buying decision, I'd give it 30-60 days. The new Fujitsu is coming out first of the year, which will have DVI/HDCP compatibility and possibly an improved scaler. The price will probably be similar tp the current PDS-5004 price. And the PDS-5004 may well take a steep nosedive (like $1000 plus) when it comes out.

Alternatively, in 30-60 days the Key Digital card will be out for the Pioneer. If reviews on the forum for the KD card with the Pio are rave, that will probably be a great option.

Still, the Fuji is the better panel for overall PQ. You just have to guage the importance of the price difference.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi Richard,

I have both of them, actually a 5002 and a 503. The Fuji definitely gets my vote. The only thing that the Pio has in it's favor is it's open architecture for DVI-HDCP upgrade path. I bought the Pio because I needed a third plasma and it's a great deal relatively speaking. To me I feel like the Fujitsu is better built. Maybe because it is heavier, but all the controls and conections are more solid. Plus, there seems to be a high percentage of them that have dead pixels. I have 4 on mine, I'm waiting till the end of the warranty period, then will send it back. I have had the 5002 since it was first introduced over a year ago and it's still perfect.

When it comes down to it though it's all about the picture. To me that's where the Fuji reigns supreme over just about anything! (9-12" CRT with an interpolator aside). The picture is much smoother, if you stick your face even relatively close side by side, the pixels on any of the Panny based panels are MUCH less visible. But if you like bright colors and are a little less concerned about black blacks, than the Pio might be for you. I would say the picture is more intense. Just two cents from a guy with both.

Good luck, they are both wonderful displays,

Edward

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just did a direct comparison of the Pio 1000HD and the Fuji 5004 at Harvey Electronics in NYC. I compared them on a scene in Legally Blonde, where Reese Witherspoon is in a shop buying a dress (about 4:30 into the film). There are two saleswomen who are both wearing black dresses. On the Pioneer, there is no detail in the dresses, just flat black. On the Fuji, there was clearly more shadow detail in their dresses, where you could see folds and creases in their outfits as they moved.

I was on the fence between until I did that test. Now I'm going with the Fuji that has DVI-HDCP, as soon as it comes out. Not even close.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Quote:
On the Pioneer, there is no detail in the dresses, just flat black. On the Fuji, there was clearly more shadow detail in their dresses
There's definitely an element of differences in the two plasmas' picture settings affecting what you see. In the past, some people have made the opposite observation--that the Pioneer has greater detail in the blacks (particularly vs. Panasonic, but also vs. Fujitsu).

It's interesting to watch the consensus opinion (if that really exists) on this board drift over time. When I bought my Fujitsu a year ago, everyone was extolling the virtues of the Pioneer, and for a number of months, there was barely a mention of Fujitsu on this board. Lately, Fujitsu is all the rage. The Pioneer models are the same, and I don't think the Fujitsus have changed significantly (despite Cinermax's claims to the contrary).

In the end, it's a personal decision. People are certainly right to demo both (and others) and get the one they like better. For the record, I'm very happy with my Fujitsu.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
seymouru:

Quote:
On the Pioneer, there is no detail in the dresses, just flat black. On the Fuji, there was clearly more shadow detail in their dresses, where you could see folds and creases in their outfits as they moved.
Be careful making such observations when you don't know how the panels are set up. I can tell you from personal experience that black level detail on Pioneer panels is excellent when properly set up.

I’ve seen Fuji and Pioneer panels in a high-end store side-by-side showing the same HD demo loop and the Fuji looked absolutely awful compared to the Pioneer. I didn’t make a purchase decision based on that experience, but I’m sure there was something wrong with the Fuji’s set up.

As always, YMMV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.