AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the situation i have wanted to upgrade tv and sound for awhile and am now ready to do so, i have settled on the lg 55lx9500 tv and am looking into sound. i am strongly looking at the b&w panaroma. i am set on a soundbar but was unsure of what the general feel of this product is, and what if any alternatives are out there?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlaw12002
Here is the situation i have wanted to upgrade tv and sound for awhile and am now ready to do so, i have settled on the lg 55lx9500 tv and am looking into sound. i am strongly looking at the b&w panaroma. i am set on a soundbar but was unsure of what the general feel of this product is, and what if any alternatives are out there?
Here's one alternatine http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666166163

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If you are considering the B&W, you probably place a premium on accurate sound. If that is the case, the B&W probably stands at the top of the mountain. I know KEF and Definitive Technology make some excellent, accurate soundbars also.

For much less money, you might also consider the Asperion Slimstage as it has received only excellent reviews.

My current sound bar is the JVC TH-BA1 which cost a fraction of the B&W and gives me very good sound. I am much more please with this than any of the soundbars that I have previously tried including a Yamaha sound projector costing about five times the price.

The JVC and its equivilants from Sony or Vizio can be very good to excellent for television and movies. Serious testing reveals flaws with each, but these seldom raise their head when watching and viewing content. Actually, some of the items that move inexpensive, powered soundbars away from being accurate for musical content, are the things that enhace them for television viewing. This includes optimization of voices over background music and sound effects, Dolby sound leveling to reduce the volume of commercials and Dolby playback when available.

Soundbars in general, from inexpensive to diamond plated, are a good way to minimize clutter and enhance the lousy audio from most modern HDTV's.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you i dont actually put a premium on sound atm the room is multi purpose and until i have the space for the perfect theater room i am more concerned with other aspects of the system than sound. a cheaper alternative is much welcomed thanks.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well, I'm heartbroken because the B&W is incredibly impressive, but is just too damn huge to stick on top of my super-skinny plasma (1.4" thick Samsung) plus limited codecs (no DTS-HD is a non-starter).

I auditioned the Definitive SSA-50 today and it just couldn't match the B&W. And that's the SSA-50 PLUS a ProSub 1000, vs. the B&W by itself.

I didn't get much localization of effects on the SSA-50 - maybe a bit. The B&W was able to provide quite a bit - you could definitely get the sense of "flying objects", but still not like a "real" 5.1 system.

The B&W angles speakers to bounce off of walls. Unfortunately, walls are something I don't have - in two directions. So, not sure how well it would work out in my specific setup anyway.

So, I'm back to square one, now considering an L/C/R for on top of the TV plus real surrounds. I CAN'T use discrete L/R because of my layout. The lack of walls thing. Unless I want people walking into speakers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm a newbie so pardon this question, but is there any soundbar out there that convincingly replicated surround sound? I have new Sony 60 inch LCD and what to have surround sound. I just don't want to wire rear speakers so my only options are sound bars which seem very convenient and systems with wireless rear speakers. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipangle /forum/post/19674832

I'm a newbie so pardon this question, but is there any soundbar out there that convincingly replicated surround sound? I have new Sony 60 inch LCD and what to have surround sound. I just don't want to wire rear speakers so my only options are sound bars which seem very convenient and systems with wireless rear speakers. Thanks.

With the correct setup in the right room soundbars from Yamaha, Sony, JVC and Vizio all have the ability to give somewhat of an impression of surround sound. Having owned numerous home theather surround systems which maxed out at over 20k and setup systems costing quite a bit more and now using a $249 soundbar, I feel there is not much of a let down unless you feel like you need to hear sound from all corners of the room.

Some people actually like the sound from a soundbar better than a total surround system, others feel like they have lost something unless they can distinctly hear all 5 or 7 channels coming discretely from each speaker at all times. The latter group of people actually have much less of the actual theater experience than someone with a good monaural speaker and amplifier.

Only a few soundbar systems offer discrete channels. Some do this very well. Many of the synthisized surround effects are very good. Some are downright annoying. However the smae holds true for most HTIB systems and a great deal of very high end home theater systems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts