AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a new notebook and I want to make sure it is compatible with my InFocus SP 4805.

The SP4805 only has S-Video, M1-DA, or Component inputs.

Since S-Video isn't the best quality and Component-out on laptops is rare, I'm thinking I will have to use the M1-DA input on the SP4805.

Will the 4805 accept the DVI output from a laptop? I read one thread that said the 4805 could not accept DVI-I (only DVI-D).

How can I know if the DVI port on a notebook is DVI-D or DVI-I?

Do I need a special cable from InFocus to convert to M1-DA or can I pick it up anywhere?

Since laptops with DVI's tend to be more expensive, could I get away with having just a VGA-out port?

Is there a loss in quality vs a DVI port?

What type of cable converters would I need to go from VGA to M1-DA?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
262 Posts
To get the best quality from the 4805 with a PC, you need to send it only 854x480 or 848x480. This is the native resolution of the 4805. Unfortunately, you can only do this via DVI/HDMI. The 4805 will not accept this resolution over VGA.

On my PC, I used a DVI->HDMI adapter. I then purchased an HDMI->M1-DA cable from Monoprice. The 4805 looks fantastic configured this way. It allows for 1:1 pixel mapping and allows the desktop to be clear and sharp. You will not get clear text using the VGA connection at any resolution greater than 640x480.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Troy,

Looks like a computer with a DVI port is essential.

I have one question about your setup, why did you go from DVI>HDMI>M1-DA? Couldn't you just have DVI>M1-DA?

I was thinking of using the InFocus SP-DVI-D Cable which states that it is a:

"M1 to DVI-D/USB cable

Projector side: M1-D (male)

Source side: DVI-D (male), USB-A"

Could I use this? Or is there some advantage to having your setup?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I used the DVI->HDMI adapter just for convenience. I wanted the cable to be HDMI->M1-DA so that I could use it for other HDMI sources when I wanted. Having the adpater and the cable allowed me to feed any format (HDMI or DVI) to my 4805.

You can use the DVI->M1-DA just fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newbie question related to the above thread:

I'm connecting my MacBook Pro to an InFocus X2, which takes the M1-DA input. I don't have a DVI->M1-DA cable but I have the Mac's DVI->VGA adapter which connects to the X2's VGA->M1-DA cable. Am I losing anything with this connection? Does each side realize it's a digital source/target on the other end? I looked around for a pinout diagram but couldn't find one (and would probably have misread it anyway.) Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.