AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Research and reviews are great but decision making sucks kind of. Between hsu hb1 mk2 and the hc1 mk2 vs chane arxc1 x3 lcr. Which would you chose and why? My listening is 70/30 movies/music. Large open living room to dining and kitchen living room has 21 ft cathedral ceiling. I sit about 14-16 ft from my tv. If I go with the hb1 im getting the vtf-15 mk2 and addinc a 2nd one later. If I go with different speakers im either going rythmik fv15hp or the echo 15-18 from reaction.. Ugh .. Appreciate any input

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
First, I do not understand why you think you need a different subwoofer depending upon the speakers you choose. Any of those subs would be a great asset to any speaker system.

Second, to bank on someone’s opinion may be the worst thing you can do. Even if a person has auditioned both of those speaker systems in their home (I doubt many have), there is no guarantee you’d agree with that person’s opinion. The best thing to do is bite the bullet and order two front speakers from either or both companies and audition them yourself. Just be aware of the cost of return shipping for the loser. Once satisfied that YOU made the right choice, you can order the center channel and rears.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Research and reviews are great but decision making sucks kind of. Between hsu hb1 mk2 and the hc1 mk2 vs chane arxc1 x3 lcr. Which would you chose and why? My listening is 70/30 movies/music. Large open living room to dining and kitchen living room has 21 ft cathedral ceiling. I sit about 14-16 ft from my tv. If I go with the hb1 im getting the vtf-15 mk2 and addinc a 2nd one later. If I go with different speakers im either going rythmik fv15hp or the echo 15-18 from reaction.. Ugh .. Appreciate any input
I have the Hsu speakers and really enjoy them. The Chane speakers look good too. The Hsu subs are killer. I don't think there is a wrong choice between any of these. The Reaction and Rythmik subs look terrific. It looks like you have done your homework, and whatever you get, you will enjoy. If you wanted to save a few bucks, get the VTF3 mk5, that is a superb performer as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should describe what kind of sound im after. But my current polk monitors seem a touch to bright for me and after a full night of a couple movies it starts to get at me. Hard to explain. I guess I am looking for a fuller richer tone with a much more punchy present soundstage. The monitors really dont have that get lost in their presence feel if that makes sense. To the first poster I like opinions of people who are further into this than I am currently. I take advice and listen peoples discriptions of a line.of speakers. Its all I can do I really dont want to order multiple sets and send them.back. Now.a 30 day listen period is great because by thrn I will know to keep or send back

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Should describe what kind of sound im after. But my current polk monitors seem a touch to bright for me and after a full night of a couple movies it starts to get at me. Hard to explain. I guess I am looking for a fuller richer tone with a much more punchy present soundstage. The monitors really dont have that get lost in their presence feel if that makes sense. To the first poster I like opinions of people who are further into this than I am currently. I take advice and listen peoples discriptions of a line.of speakers. Its all I can do I really dont want to order multiple sets and send them.back. Now.a 30 day listen period is great because by thrn I will know to keep or send back
While there is nothing wrong with opinions (everyone has them), your own ears should always be the final judge. When I was looking, one of the speakers I auditioned was the Hsu bookshelf & center channel. It’s a good system. I haven’t auditioned the Chane, so I cannot comment. Also note that most companies allow for a 30-day trial period. Many companies offer free one-way shipping (Hsu doesn’t). There are even a few companies that pay for the shipping both ways (SVS and PSA).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Your room is on the larger size and your are sitting a good distance from your mains.

Your room and floor coverings are going to have a significant affect on the sound quality......

The brightness you speak of comes from a combination of the room and the materials that your drivers are made of.

To get the punch you are looking for you are going to need multiple subs, or mains with large woofers, or both.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed I plan on 2 subs minimum I know I cant go wrong with the rythmik/hsu/or reaction. My wife really wants the book shelf size speaker to sit on the sub fir a summetrical look. I honestly have to do this because she has been a champ about lettibg me have this large of a sub box in the living room ! Im concerned about the sound stage from a bookshelf to a floor standwr. I have also considered the chane ar2x-c for all 3 upfront and a hsu vtf 15 mk2. Couple months later add the surrounds and another sub. I lile the added height of the centers standing vertical for looks over the shoeter book shelves on these size subs if that makes sense. I want all speakers and subs purchased becauae next year we upgrade out mits 65 dlp to an 80" 4k and a higher end receiver

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forgot how would arx center with 5.25" drivers compare to hsu 6.5" single driver? Would either equally fill my size room for movies and am I splitting hairs going crazy?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Ascend 340s for front stage seem like a safe bet? Anything comparable for less? I read thr hsu hb-1 has a narrow sweet spot. I would like full sound everywhere
I only heard the Hsu in a 3.1 and 5.1 configuration, so I couldn’t tell you if the Hsu has a small sweet spot via its phantom center. A lot of speakers do, but once you add the center channel, it doesn’t become an issue. I also felt the Hsu had a fairly wide soundstage. So unless you are only looking for a 2.0 or 2.1 configuration, I wouldn’t let that stop you.

I didn’t realize that you may be interested in other speakers besides the Hsu and Chane.

The Ascend 340s are highly regarded here, although I haven’t auditioned them. And yes, there are several very good speakers for less money.

$225 / pair (includes shipping) EMP Tek R5Bi bookshelf speaker (formally E5Bi): http://emptek.com/r5bi.php (I own these)

$275 / pair (shipping extra) Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy tower speakers: http://philharmonicaudio.com/ and http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

$319 - $349 / pair (? shipping) HTD Level THREE bookshelf speaker: http://www.htd.com/Products/level-three-speakers/Level-THREE-Bookshelf-Speakers

$440 / pair (? shipping) NHT Absolute Zero bookshelf speaker: http://www.nhthifi.com/Absolute-Zero-Black?sc=12&category=3772

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an update ... I read way to much praise on the ascend acoustics 340s. I figured its a very safe purchase that has pleased a wide variety of theater/music listeners. So I went ahead and ordered 3x 340s 2x stands and 2 170s for surrounds. All were b stock and the nice sales lady on the phone said I should not even be able to tell they are b stock sp fingers crossed on that one. Anyone got b stock and couldnt tell any flaws? But the polk monitor series sold today and im on tv speakers only now ugh. Sub choixe and order soon to follow. But since I went over my original speaker budget im looking at the echo 15 very heavily right now. All of this should be a huge upgrade from polk monitors and the 12" psw505

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.