AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am in the market for a new receiver and here are my choices: Pioneer VSX-516-K, Pioneer VSX-816-K, Yamaha HTR5950B, Onkyo TSXR504, Denon AVR485, Denon AVR686, Denon AVR-1906 and Denon AVR-486. The Yamaha is on a $200 sale plus I have a $200 promotion coupon to use from Futureshop.ca. The Pioneers are also on Futureshop and I can use the promotional money for those as well. All other receivers come form eCost but I would prefer the Pioneer and Yammy from Futureshop because I am Canadian and it helps if I have to send anything for warranty and returns. As far as I can tell I should grab the Yammy because it is the most expensive of all and I can get it for $200 Canadian but then again the other receivers could be better, I don't know. So let the debate begin!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I would go with the Pio 816 because its 7.1 unlike the yam which is 6.1

what are you going to hook up to it?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
ummmm, these are not amps.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
ummmm, these are not amps.

Haha yah, I just noticed that I put "amps" in the title, my bad! I was in a discussion about amps earlier and somehow I must have got things mixed up. Anyways about the RECEIVERS, do you really think I should go with the 816? I don't really care about 7.1 as I am buying a 5.1 system. So would the Yamaha offer better sound quality?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /forum/post/0

Haha yah, I just noticed that I put "amps" in the title, my bad! I was in a discussion about amps earlier and somehow I must have got things mixed up. Anyways about the RECEIVERS, do you really think I should go with the 816? I don't really care about 7.1 as I am buying a 5.1 system. So would the Yamaha offer better sound quality?

Well it's a personal choice, decide which one has more features you want.

Pio 816: http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/pna...etailComponent

Yam 5950: http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Receivers/HTR5950B.jsp

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The following is an email I received from Kevan at Sonicboomaudio:
Quote:
We've tested nearly every amp under the sun with these packages and in my opinion the Yammo will smoke! The others are comparable but if it was my system and my choice, I'd be going with the Yamaha, deal or no deal. The fact that you can save that coin really closes it for me though. Not nuts about Pioneer home-audio gear to be honest. I used to retail their stuff and I saw a lot of it come back for one reason or another. As far as the Denon and Onkyo's go, well they're all great receivers, but you wont find that they'll out perform the Yamaha in any way.

That seals the deal for me!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.