AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im looking to buy a tv (40" or 42") and after spending many hours reading reviews, forums, and watching them at the store i think i have my selection.

But before i do anything crazy I want to ask you guys for an opinion:

(this are all South American models, they may differ in name to the ones in the US)

Panasonic 42" TC-P42S10 (PLASMA) vs Samsung LED UN40B6000 (LED) vs Sony Bravia KDL-40V5100 (LCD)

In 4th place i have a Samsung B550

I know the LED is more expensive than the other ones, i'm not rich and my budget is tight but if there is a REAL difference in price/quality i'm ready to spend more to get more.

The tv is for watching SD cable and HD movies, no gaming or little, in a room with normal sun light coming (from the side).

I'll connect it to a HTPC and when i have the money a AV receiver with some speakers.

Thank you guys!!

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkster /forum/post/18172972

Hi, im looking to buy a tv (40" or 42") and after spending many hours reading reviews, forums, and watching them at the store i think i have my selection.

But before i do anything crazy I want to ask you guys for an opinion:

(this are all South American models, they may differ in name to the ones in the US)

Panasonic 42" TC-P42S10 (PLASMA) vs Samsung LED UN40B6000 (LED) vs Sony Bravia KDL-40V5100 (LCD)

In 4th place i have a Samsung B550

I know the LED is more expensive than the other ones, i'm not rich and my budget is tight but if there is a REAL difference in price/quality i'm ready to spend more to get more.

The tv is for watching SD cable and HD movies, no gaming or little, in a room with normal sun light coming (from the side).

I'll connect it to a HTPC and when i have the money a AV receiver with some speakers.

Thank you guys!!

The downside to any plasma is reflections. Unless you can put up window shades, you are probably better off with an LCD.

The Samsung B6000 does better with SD than the Sony.

Best Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have shades in the window i could easily close if needed..

My only problem with samsung is they customer service in my country, or the lack of it.. they are good tvs but if you have any problem it's a big headache.

these are the best prices i can get here in my country for those tvs:

Panasonic 42" TC-P42S10L : US$ 2199

Samsung LED UN40B6000 : US$ 2799

Sony Bravia KDL-40V5100 : US$ 1999

Also the B6000 they sell here just has one usb and no ethernet. it's weird...

I'm in between of the sammy and the panny... any more help deciding?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
If the Panasonic is the same as the TC-P42S1 sold in North America and the Samsung is the same as the one sold here (model #is identical) the screen on the Samsung is much more reflective than on the Panasonic. Up here all Samsung LED sets come with a mirror like screen surface, Panasonics are shinier than matte finish lcds but not as shiny as the Samsung LEDs.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkster /forum/post/18173084

I have shades in the window i could easily close if needed..

My only problem with samsung is they customer service in my country, or the lack of it.. they are good tvs but if you have any problem it's a big headache.

these are the best prices i can get here in my country for those tvs:

Panasonic 42" TC-P42S10L : US$ 2199

Samsung LED UN40B6000 : US$ 2799

Sony Bravia KDL-40V5100 : US$ 1999

Also the B6000 they sell here just has one usb and no ethernet. it's weird...

I'm in between of the sammy and the panny... any more help deciding?

If reflections don't concern you, the 42 inch Panasonic would be my first choice. As much as people like their Samsungs, reliability seems to be a problem with some of the more recent sets. Failing electrolytic capacitors seems to happen all too often, and Samsung does NOT have a good reputation for its customer service in the USA.

If you were to buy the Panasonic, would you have return privileges?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The panasonic service and warranty here is very good, the best one of all tvs and 10x times better than samsung.

What about the sammy B550 vs the panny?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts