AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a new custom home and have decided to go the 7.2.4 route but am having a hard time figuring out what 2 channel amp to add to run my fronts. Below is a list of the components that I have:

Fronts: Polk TSI 500
Center: Polk CSi 200
Side and Surrounds: Polk FXI A6
Heights: Polk 90-RT
Subs: Klipsch 10" and 12"

I want to run the new Yamaha 3060 receiver but use the additional 2 channel amp to run the front L/R since they tend to be a little more power hungry and I am planning on upgrading them soon. What would you run to bring the system together?

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I just bought a 7 channel Monoprice Monolith (OEM'd by ATI) to run all the bed channels and will let the receiver run the overheads. I am still in the middle of my build so I don't have it set up yet, but for $1200 and change delivered with the discount code (these pop up now and again) I figured why not get a dedicated amp for all the bed channels and really take the load off the receiver.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I suggest buy a good used 2 channel amp, no need to spend a lot. I have a Parasound HCA 800II that is 25+ yrs old and is wonderful driving my front speakers in 5.2.4 set-up with a Yammy A2050. But obviously, lots of choices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
You already have 150 watts X 2, so I would look for an external amp rated at or above that - maybe 200-300 watts in 2-channel. That is, if you want a good 2-channel experience. But if you are looking for multichannel, then it's hard to go wrong with Monoprice or Emotiva, but a good used amp can also make sense. I paid $600 for my 1984 Yamaha M-80, but there are plenty of good used amps out there that will sound just as good as when new as long as the capacitors are in good shape and the bias has been checked.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I have owned older sae and adcom amps. they dont compare imo to the newer nad amp...however my dad still uses macintosh amps from the 70's. I think amps do have a trait that can help speakers...so imo it all depends on what speakers you use. I did not like adcom and klipsch, but I really like nad/marantz with focal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts