AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hooked on getting the Oppo 103 since its release some months ago. The price point is a bit hard to swallow and so I did a bit more research and came across Sony's offering, the S790. The price point for the Sony seems excellent, especially for the rave reviews of its picture quality. The Oppo 103 of course, is a beast of a blu-ray player.

One of the biggest benefits of the Oppo over the Sony, is that it has HDMI inputs. So, I can run my cable box output through the Oppo and enjoy the Oppo's fantastic video processing. The Sony does not have this feature. The almost gives the Oppo a dual purpose as both a blu-ray player and external video processor.

How does an AVR play into this? Would an AVR such as the Marantz 8801 or similar provide video processing as well, similar to what the Oppo 103 would provide? OR would the AVR simply act as a video pass through, providing NO video processing enhancements?

·
Super Moderator
16,746 Posts
Best to ask your questions in the Oppo 103 thread. As for comparison of the two, it has been done inside the Help Me CHoose a Player thread and SOny S790 thread.

S~

1 - 2 of 2 Posts