AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to purchase a projector to screen movies in my home. I would like to spend under five hundred on the projector and use it only for screening DVD films. I am seeking recommendations for the best projector. A built in speaker or a projector that allows connection of inexpensive bookshelf speakers is an added bonus. The total distance is approx. 15 feet.

Thank you.

I realize this forum is for discriminating audio enthusiasts who hold opinions for different types of technologies. Please keep your comments helpful. I also realize the post dosnt encompass the knowledge and certainly not the budget of most users--however I appreciate your assistance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your help. I edited the post and removed the terminology. My philosophy is to choose the best projector while I am spending any amount of money and I appreciate your assistance. I am open to any other technologies and would like to hear more about your recommendations.

·
Registered
242 Posts
You CAN get a proj for that much, but decent sound is a whole other issue. a computer speaker set maybe the only thing you can get really cheap...but then you'll need a dvd player with preouts or a speaker set with digital audio in. Anyway, I hope you're aware that the sound at that budget might be severely inadequate, even for 'regular' people.

So I'll just ignore the sound requirement for now, and suggest somthing like the infocus X1 or Benq pb6100/6110 (both DLP). I think you'll find that the projectors in your price range are SVGA and refurbished or used. If you see rainbows with DLP and find it bothersome, then there's probably some equivalent LCD SVGA proj as well...I'd be wary of used due to lamp life uncertainty (bulb/lamps are expensive).

·
Registered
115 Posts
You said you would like to spend under $500. It may be worth it to move to the MSRP $750-$1000 price range, as these projectors have significant improvements over the under $500.

1) Optimized specifically for home theater

2) Faster color wheels on DLP units

3) Not as bright - this can be deemed both good and bad - (home theaters are dark, not lit like a board room) and lower lumens means the unit is cooler and generally a quieter fan.

2) 16:9 screen ratio

There are many new HT projectors in this price range Optoma H31, Sanyo Z2, Infocus SP4805. I got the Infocus SP4805 - $1100 with $100 mail in rebate. Most of these are also available in refurbished units which will save another few hundred bucks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.