AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question. I have used the "Nemo Test" in evaluating and choosing subs (budget subs

Now given that I am still talking under $ 300 subs (I am taking it for granted that ANY sub from Velodyne/PSB/HSU/SVS will pass the Nemo Test without even a flutter). Is the Nemo Test a good metric for choosing a budget sub?

Does passing the Nemo test (not rattling) alone indicate that a sub should perform well a/c all intended /listed frequency ranges?

If yes, are there any other sub under 300 that do this?

Your inputs would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
16,904 Posts
frankly, it just means it can do BOOMS really well

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Did you measure the spl when you did it? Any comparison of low FR effects on different subs should require measurements based on the frequency and actual output level when you heard it.

Ian

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
How loud and how much of a hit in the chest it produces.

Personally I say you are expecting a bit much from a $300 sub. Save more money and buy a better sub is my suggestion. You'll be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm I really dont think ANY sub will pass the Nemo test (if you consider it to be a test that is). Like I said I have had the Klipsch KSW-10 and Yamaha YST-SW215 fail: they both rattle when you play that specific piece. There is no boom just rattling.

With the JBL E250P it does not rattle....it just has a deep boom that causes other objects (especially on the mantle) to resonate.

That's why the original question? Is this piece of audio really a good test for choosing budget subs? What would the SPL meter tell me if all I hear is noisy rattling from the other subs.

About investing in a better sub...we all have our own priorities...and I am pretty sure we get what you pay for, but given the budget constraints (literally) and still wanting a good sub, does it make sense to use "Darla taps the tank", Scene 25 (1:18:14) from Nemo to measure the value of a sub?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
It is ONE test, but I don't think it is THE test. There needs to be all types of tests, and there often isn't a simple pass/fail result. Some subs will rattle, some will boom, some will sound good - but it is pretty difficult to tell what is really going on unless you have alot of experience in judging subs - and I sure don't. It's easy to hear a sub bottom-out or distort really badly, but there are acceptable compromises in the budget subs that might vary depending on your preferences. For example, a sub that has excellent SPL but rolls-off higher might sound better to you than a sub that rattles at the same volume. Maybe hearing a nice big boom, but not really feeling the deep extension as much is OK for you (or not). Which is worse? That depends on where it rolled-off, and how often you expect to try to hit the really low stuff at high SPL. Or, maybe the way in which one sub distorts is more acceptable to you than another sub. Some people HATE port chuffing - other people HATE subs that have hard distortion limiters that chop the output instead of more gracefully degrading. Some subs might handle the slower deep hits OK, but might muddy up a longer, quicker but not as deep section.

All listening tests are subjective - and I would listen to as many tracks as you can, on as many subs as you can! (Isn't that the fun part?) ;)

·
Registered
27,198 Posts
It'll probably pass the test because it is incapable of playing the damaging frequencies. $300 hardly qualifies for a subwoofer. Unfortunately, they cost.

·
Registered
16,904 Posts
...........but, for the money, that JBL is not a bad sub.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Which money? The $450 at Best Buy or the $250 on eBay? I wouldn't pay $450 for it.

·
Registered
16,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George J
The only sub could handle the Nemo Test and was under $ 230 is the JBL E250P.

·
Registered
27,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim
Period? It must be that time of the month because you aren't thinking straight.

What is the room size? Is it at THX refence level? Is the SPL level at least 110 db? This sub would fail terribley. Apparently, you have no reference for what this part of the Nemo soundtrack sounds like. I think if I gave this sub the 'Nemo' test, I would make it explode!

·
Registered
16,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland
no, darling, i had to put some character in the post. i chose a period. it implies absolutely nothing.

it's not a bad sub for $230.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Well, you can't just watch a scene in a movie judge a subwoofer. They are in different rooms, setup differently, and it might be a bad location in the room too.

Also, the JBL MIGHT have a steeper subsonic filter or it might be cut higher. Just because it didn't bottom out doesn't make it a "better" sub.

I just got Finding Nemo on DVD a month ago but still never watched it. I popped it in this morning for the hell of it and played the Darla scene.

Well, this just isn't a "sub test" from what I heard. All the speakers played a big part of the tapping. The first time I played it was at -26 and it filled the room. It seemed like after the first hit all the speakers produced the resonance of the fish tank. VERY 3 dimensional !!!!

Anyways, so I turned it up to about -7 and played to scene again. Well it sounded alot louder then it was. hehehehe It hit only 105db and remained very clean. I wanted to take it up higher but I had to get to work plus my room started giving out and producing a lot of noise. It is funny, the main limition of my HT is my room:D

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland

What is the room size? Is it at THX refence level? Is the SPL level at least 110 db? This sub would fail terribley. Apparently, you have no reference for what this part of the Nemo soundtrack sounds like. I think if I gave this sub the 'Nemo' test, I would make it explode!

I don't want to listen to any complaints after you lose your hearing Jeff!

Ian :D

·
Registered
27,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang
I don't want to listen to any complaints after you lose your hearing Jeff!

Ian :D
Eh?? :p

·
Registered
298 Posts
A $300 dollars is hardly considered a subwoofer, this comment disturbs me because there is a large amount of people on this forum that cant afford to spend more than three or four hundred dollars on a subwoofer and they come to people like you for help. For three hundred dollars you can buy a sub that goes down clean to 24hz and I would say that qualifies.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyosu
A $300 dollars is hardly considered a subwoofer, this comment disturbs me because there is a large amount of people on this forum that cant afford to spend more than three or four hundred dollars on a subwoofer and they come to people like you for help.
Yeah, I love people who think they're king of the world, 'cause they can afford hi-end crap...They think they're better then us "budget-conscious" folks or something...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyosu
A $300 dollars is hardly considered a subwoofer, this comment disturbs me because there is a large amount of people on this forum that cant afford to spend more than three or four hundred dollars on a subwoofer and they come to people like you for help. For three hundred dollars you can buy a sub that goes down clean to 24hz and I would say that qualifies.
I understand not having the money, but these are manufacture specs. They MIGHT not be that good when you get the sub setup. I have been waiting for some of the owners of a BIC H-100, Dayton 10", 12", and others to post the frequency repones and some SPL test if these subs. I have a few cheap friends that only want to spend $100-$250 on a sub. It would be really cool to se Ed M do a shootout of some sub $250-$300 subs.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.