AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to AVS Forums and decided to post my thought process on picking a display device for my home theater system AFTER I did my basic research on these forums and visiting electronic stores in person to see them.

Just moved into my new apt and so the old place I was at (roommate owned the condo) had a rear projection HD-ready Mitsubishi TV that is tall (betw. 4-5 ft) and 55" screen, from 2001. So now all I have is my little 13" regular SD Sharp color TV. How quaint!
So now it's time to move up.

The many questions I had, I finally answered them and here they are in order of importance (descending order). I'd like some opinions on them
  1. Rear-Projection/DLP or LCD or Plasma?

Plasma. Why? Rear-projection is cheaper but big and bulky. LCD and Plasmas are flat panels so which one? LCD has too much pixelation and from reading reviews Plasma is much preferred. So with that main question answered, next is:
  2. 720p or 1080p?

After reading all the debates, the one answer that simplified it for me is this...who IS broadcasting in 1080p? No one. I work at DIRECTV and I know we won't be sending out that signal until the networks decide it's worth it. Until then 720p is it for me. I'm not going to go crazy if it's not 1080p. Yes Blu-Ray is 1080p as well as video games but 720p will do fine for me.
  3. Size?

50" - based on my apartment living room and wall size and what I feel is just right (55-60 would be too big).
  4. Brand?

My original two (2) choices were Panasonic and Samsung. Based on history of reputation, Samsung has stepped their's up as before they weren't known as anything high quality. Panasonic has a good rep. Then I decided I could afford it or at least felt it worth it to spend more and looked at Pioneer. This brand I know of in the past with an excellent rep.
  5. Model?

I had looked at theSamsung HP-T5084 (Official Supplier of the NFL) and thought, to me the display is the biggest item to worry about so I went with Pioneer. The question was model and I had two choices: Kuro PDP-5080HD or the Kuro PRO-1150HD. Price difference (online) is about $1k and better video signal processing is very important and if anything will definitely calibrate it.

So with all these questions answered my top three choices are:

1. Pioneer Kuro PRO-1150HD

2. Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080HD

3. Samsung HP-T5084

And I'm going with my 1st choice. So my questions are:

Calibration : professional or DIY

Line conditioner/surge protector or just surge protector

wall-mounted or on stand

extended warranty? Yes/no - if yes how many yrs (how many yrs do you get when you just buy it from the store or online - 1?)

My viewing distance I measured from the wall to the back of the sofa is approximately 12ft. So give or take 1-1.25 feet, viewing distance from screen to eyeballs is 10.75ft. And I use this for my primary viewing (TV shows, DVDs of action movies, and of course HD sports)

Any comments left would be appreciated. Once DIRECTV has caught up to their back log of orders for HD-DVRs to ship out to customers, then and only then can employees request their free upgrade. Gotta let you people (the paying customers) get yours first before I can get mine. For now I have the old DVR R10 with TiVO service with a Weaknees upgrade of (2) 160GB hard drives for a total of up to 282 hours of standard definition recording.

Thanks,

Gio

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramill /forum/post/12889976

wall-mounted or on stand

extended warranty? Yes/no - if yes how many yrs (how many yrs do you get when you just buy it from the store or online - 1?)

Well I did use the "search" feature and answered my 2nd question above. So no need for line conditioner. Just a surger protector (APC, Belkin or Monster).

As for wall-mounted or not, I think I'll just have it on the stand it comes with. Gives me more flexibility if I want to move the TV around.

But the warranty question I'd like opinions on. I know if you buy with your credit card you get an additional 1yr plus the standard 1yr from the manufacturer. Is this correct?

As for calibration, are ISF professionals worth it or is this an easy DIY job?

Thanks,

Gio

·
Registered
255 Posts
Go with the PRO-1150. That'll take away your concerns about the warranty (since it has a 2 yr manufacturer, plus the credit card additional that you'll get), and be much better for a calibration.

That said, I STRONGLY suggest getting this professionally calibrated. While a DIY calibration can significantly improve performance from out of the box, an ISF calibration can deal with greyscale and color temperature, two very significant things to worry about in terms of performance, that a DIY calibrator has no control of.

Lastly, you mentioned buying the PRO-1150 online. Remember, Elite products cannot be sold online, and if you do manage to get one from the internet, the warranty is void. Call an authorized dealer that supports AVS, or go to your local Tweeter/MHT.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCentral /forum/post/12896587

Go with the PRO-1150. That'll take away your concerns about the warranty (since it has a 2 yr manufacturer, plus the credit card additional that you'll get), and be much better for a calibration.

That said, I STRONGLY suggest getting this professionally calibrated. While a DIY calibration can significantly improve performance from out of the box, an ISF calibration can deal with greyscale and color temperature, two very significant things to worry about in terms of performance, that a DIY calibrator has no control of.

Lastly, you mentioned buying the PRO-1150 online. Remember, Elite products cannot be sold online, and if you do manage to get one from the internet, the warranty is void. Call an authorized dealer that supports AVS, or go to your local Tweeter/MHT.

Thanks SLCentral. I really did my research based on my objectives and I'm happy with my choice. I didn't know about the warranty being voided for the Elites if you buy online. Sure I'd like to go to an authorized dealer that supports this forum (got a lot of helpful info and I just recently joined). Where can I find the list of dealers that support this forum?

As for calibration, might as well get the best out of the TV by a professional. Any suggestions on where to look for ISF calibrators?

Thanks,

Gio

·
Registered
30,129 Posts
If you have the cash to buy a PRO-1150HD, why not get it ISF calibrated? You clearly can afford it and it will make the TV look better, and give you piece of mind that you're getting the best of the best. It's a totally different decision than for people buying a 42" 720p for $1000.

If you aren't going to go the extra few hundred bucks to get it calibrated and aren't going to obsess about whether you are as close to 6500K as possible or whatever, just get the 5080HD.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/12896808

If you have the cash to buy a PRO-1150HD, why not get it ISF calibrated? You clearly can afford it and it will make the TV look better, and give you piece of mind that you're getting the best of the best. It's a totally different decision than for people buying a 42" 720p for $1000.

If you aren't going to go the extra few hundred bucks to get it calibrated and aren't going to obsess about whether you are as close to 6500K as possible or whatever, just get the 5080HD.

Oh I'm willing to get it calibrated but just wanted to know if a professional was worth it (i.e. like whether or not for a $400 line conditioner is worth it). But based on research for higher end models, I will definitely get it professionally calibrated. Thanks for the input. Now the question is where to search for ISF professional.

·
Banned
2,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramill /forum/post/12896795

As for calibration, might as well get the best out of the TV by a professional. Any suggestions on where to look for ISF calibrators?

Thanks,

Gio

You can do a search for UMR on the forum Accucal as they do tours nationwide it is hard to find a good one that is why I recommend them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInvision /forum/post/12896892

You can do a search for UMR on the forum Accucal as they do tours nationwide it is hard to find a good one that is why I recommend them.

Thanks RomanInvision, I'll do that.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramill /forum/post/12889976

Hi everyone, I'm new to AVS Forums and decided to post my thought process on picking a display device for my home theater system AFTER I did my basic research on these forums and visiting electronic stores in person to see them.

Just moved into my new apt and so the old place I was at (roommate owned the condo) had a rear project HD-ready Mitsubishi from 2001. So now all I have is my little 13" regular SD Sharp color TV. How quaint! So now it's time to move up.

Hey Gio what's happenin !! It's me Randy

Nice to see you're just as analytical here on AVS as you are at work and in the club! Mike Simanyi is here too and a few other SCCA and BMW Club guys from So Cal.....welcome aboard !

Quote:
....my top three choices are:

1. Pioneer Kuro PRO-1150HD

2. Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080HD

3. Samsung HP-T5084

And I'm going with my 1st choice. So my questions are:

Nice choices except for that Sammy (whats' that doing on your list??). With the help of D-Nice's settings and the Kuro threads you should be able to adjust the set to your liking with the user menus. If you want to have it ISF Calibrated - leave it to a pro with experience and good equipment but get at least a few hundred hours of use on the panel first. There's plenty of time to get it ISF'd later if you feel the need. Avical serves the west side and comes highly recommended.

Quote:

We have pretty stable power here in So Cal and even the worst thunder and lightning storms and earthquakes have never caused any failures with any of my electronics in 35+ years. It would give peace of mind though, and may just come in handy someday. That day never arrived for me or anyone i know around here though.

Quote:
wall-mounted or on stand

I don't like looking up at a TV when i'm seated on my couch or recliner so i prefer my TV be low, like the console TV's i grew up with in the 60's
But it's a matter of personal preference and of course room layout.

Quote:

Forum members are sharply divided on this issue, but i feel that $100-$200 for 3-4 years of extra coverage is worth the peace of mind. I have EWs on both my plasmas and my new A/V receiver. I had an EW on my previous Sony TV that paid off big time when it failed (twice) after the factory warranty expired and i actually ended up being several hundred dollars ahead in the end! Check with MountAVision dot com and ClevelandPlasma dot com for warranties.

Quote:
My viewing distance I measured from the wall to the back of the sofa is approximately 12ft. So give or take 1-1.25 feet, viewing distance from screen to eyeballs is 10.75ft. And I use this for my primary viewing (TV shows, DVDs of action movies, and of course HD sports)

I'm probably in the minority here, but i see SDE on the 50" 768p Pioneers at 10-11 feet and i'd have to have a 1080p set at that distance. Have you compared the 5010FD and 5080HD at your exact viewing distance and checked to see if you're sensitive to the SDE like i am? You might like the 5010FD more than the 1150HD at your distance . . . .

Quote:
Any comments left would be appreciated. Once DIRECTV has caught up to their back log of orders for HD-DVRs to ship out to customers, then and only then can employees request their free upgrade. Gotta let you people (the paying customers) get yours first before I can get mine. For now I have the old DVR R10 with TiVO service with a Weaknees upgrade of (2) 160GB hard drives for a total of up to 282 hours of standard definition recording.

Thanks,

Gio

Heh heh, no kidding - Gustave is still waiting for his HD-DVR and he's a big cheese department head. But he doesn't have time to watch it anyway cause you guys keep sending him to China and Sweden and French Guiana. I rarely get a chance to hang out with him anymore except when we get together to watch the F1 races on SPEED. He stopped by my office a few days ago with his new 335i

I want to see your Kuro Elite when you get it all set up. If i can help you let me know. Are you still in Brentwood?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/12897907

Hey Gio what's happenin !! It's me Randy

Nice to see you're just as analytical here on AVS as you are at work and in the club! Mike Simanyi is here too and a few other SCCA and BMW Club guys from So Cal.....welcome aboard !

Hey Randy!!! What's up?? Yes I did notice your profile while I was searching threads. Wasn't too sure until I saw your pic as your avatar. I said "Yep that's Randy". Yes other solo racing instructors are on here (Mike Simanyi - BMWCCA, Randy Chase of ChaseCam.com fame - SCCA is on here too).

Quote:

Nice choices except for that Sammy (whats' that doing on your list??).

Ah that's when I just started researching TVs and since Samsung's were all over the brick & mortar stores (Best Buy, Circuit City) and they're the official sponsor for NFL I started there. As you can see my list has improved

Quote:

With the help of D-Nice's settings and the Kuro threads you should be able to adjust the set to your liking with the user menus. If you want to have it ISF Calibrated - leave it to a pro with experience and good equipment but get at least a few hundred hours of use on the panel first. There's plenty of time to get it ISF'd later if you feel the need. Avical serves the west side and comes highly recommended.

Yeah I figured I'd see a thread with settings so I'll take your advice as I know you're way more an audiophile than I am.

Quote:

We have pretty stable power here in So Cal and even the worst thunder and lightning storms and earthquakes have never caused any failures with any of my electronics in 35+ years. It would give peace of mind though, and may just come in handy someday. That day never arrived for me or anyone i know around here though.

Good to know, so I'll pass on the Panamax line-conditioner/surge protector and stick with an APC surge protector. Though I will look into APC's UPS'

Quote:

I don't like looking up at a TV when i'm seated on my couch or recliner so i prefer my TV be low, like the console TV's i grew up with in the 60's

Agreed on that. Only if I'm in a theater is when looking up is ok.

Quote:

Forum members are sharply divided on this issue, but i feel that $100-$200 for 3-4 years of extra coverage is worth the peace of mind. I have EWs on both my plasmas and my new A/V receiver. I had an EW on my previous Sony TV that paid off big time when it failed (twice) after the factory warranty expired and i actually ended up being several hundred dollars ahead in the end! Check with MountAVision dot com and ClevelandPlasma dot com for warranties.

Well the Elite's have a 2yr warranty, plus I'll have my credit card's additional 1yr warranty on top of that. So total of 3yrs. I'll decide on the extra coverage at time of purchase. If it's $100 for 3-4yrs yes. $200? On the fence.

Quote:

I'm probably in the minority here, but i see SDE on the 50" 768p Pioneers at 10-11 feet and i'd have to have a 1080p set at that distance. Have you compared the 5010FD and 5080HD at your exact viewing distance and checked to see if you're sensitive to the SDE like i am? You might like the 5010FD more than the 1150HD at your distance . . . .

Okay you lost me here.......SDE? What does that stand for? I haven't compared the 5010FD and the 5080HD together.

Quote:

Heh heh, no kidding - Gustave is still waiting for his HD-DVR and he's a big cheese department head. But he doesn't have time to watch it anyway cause you guys keep sending him to China and Sweden and French Guiana. I rarely get a chance to hang out with him anymore except when we get together to watch the F1 races on SPEED. He stopped by my office a few days ago with his new 335i

Well we just got the e-mail late last week that now employees can place their orders, so I can place the order but hold off on the installation til I get the TV.

Quote:

I want to see your Kuro Elite when you get it all set up. If i can help you let me know. Are you still in Brentwood?

Yes I still am in Brentwood, just moved 3/4ths of a mile south of where I used to live. Yes you're welcome to come check out my setup once I have everything. I first went to look at Blaine's setup at his place to get ideas. I'll definitely ping you for suggestions.

Gio

P.S. - We have an "LA Chapter" auto-x (day before SuperBowl @Calif Speedway - FYI)

·
Registered
30,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramill /forum/post/12899069

Okay you lost me here.......SDE? What does that stand for? I haven't compared the 5010FD and the 5080HD together.

SDE = "screen door effect" when you can see the pixel structure of the plasma/lcd screen, looks like a screen or grid has been laid over the image. A 1080p set, with a higher density of pixels, will display much less of this effect.

Randy has some of the best eyes on AVS, as he can see this at much greater distances than almost anyone else.
Most people are fine with a 50" 768p plasma at 7-8feet. On my 42" 768p panasonic, I am fine from 6ft on out.

Just pop into a Best Buy / Magnolia in socal where they should have Pio's displayed in both 768p and 1080p models. Bring a tape measure, and back up slowly until you can no longer see the pixel grid. This will help determine your buying decision.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/12899457

SDE = "screen door effect" when you can see the pixel structure of the plasma/lcd screen, looks like a screen or grid has been laid over the image. A 1080p set, with a higher density of pixels, will display much less of this effect.

Ah I see what you mean now.

Quote:

Randy has some of the best eyes on AVS, as he can see this at much greater distances than almost anyone else.

And he's a great driving instructor too. Taught me the ropes til I finally became one last year

Quote:

Just pop into a Best Buy / Magnolia in socal where they should have Pio's displayed in both 768p and 1080p models. Bring a tape measure, and back up slowly until you can no longer see the pixel grid. This will help determine your buying decision.

Good idea, though price is also a main factor, but I will do your suggestion at Magnolia Audio/Video. There's one in Santa Monica on Wilshire Blvd. Too bad that getting the Elite online voids the warranty or else I'd try to get my DIRECTV discount via Magnolia (online only not in store) for an Elite.

Gio

·
Registered
30,129 Posts
I dunno, if price was a factor for me I'd get the 5080. Unlike Randy and his super-spidey-vision, most of us would be fine with a 50" 768p plasma at your distance of 10-12feet. You'd save a ton of money for things like ISF calibration, blu-ray/HD-DVD players, etc.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/12899952

I dunno, if price was a factor for me I'd get the 5080. Unlike Randy and his super-spidey-vision, most of us would be fine with a 50" 768p plasma at your distance of 10-12feet. You'd save a ton of money for things like ISF calibration, blu-ray/HD-DVD players, etc.

True and I weighed pricing and I felt I can go up to $3k as this is a long-term investment for me. But again, I haven't bought anything yet so if I decide to save money the next model in line is the PDP-5080HD and use that difference for calibration and DVD player, or A/V receiver (now THAT's another item where I have to do my research).

·
Registered
30,129 Posts
Oh wait, I just realized both the 1150 and 5080 are 768p, so disregard the last post about saving "a ton", I was thinking about the 50" 1080p elite

Yeah, if you're going to get the ISF and keep this long-term (not that common with the upgrade freaks on this forum), and you can afford it, I'd probably go with the Elite also. But I can't afford either one, so all I can do is dispense baseless advice on the internet

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramill /forum/post/12899987

True and I weighed pricing and I felt I can go up to $3k as this is a long-term investment for me. But again, I haven't bought anything yet so if I decide to save money the next model in line is the PDP-5080HD and use that difference for calibration and DVD player, or A/V receiver (now THAT's another item where I have to do my research).

I didn't realize you had a $3K budget cap so that means no 1080p for you. The 5010FD 1080p set is more than a thousand dollars more than your max budget. But i think i've seen you wearing eyeglasses once or twice, so your vision probably isn't as acute as mine is (my spidey-vision is a curse when it comes to plasmas) so i'm reasonably sure the 768p models will be just fine at your viewing distance. Don't even worry about 1080p, the 768p Pioneers are absolutely fantastic.

But i have to ask, why did you not consider the Panasonic TH-50PZ700U 1080p set?

The big question is do you really need to spend the extra dollars for an Elite? Aside from the extra year of warranty and some more user-menu picture adjustability what else about it would make it worth the extra cost? I believe that if you're having it ISF calibrated, an ISF'd 5080HD will look virtually the same as an ISF'd Elite. If that's true then the extra cost of the Elilte probably isn't warranted in your case.

I like Batpig's idea - the money you save by not buying the Elite can be applied toward getting it ISF'd, and getting a $140 / 4-year Mack Extended Warranty from fellow AVS members at ClevelandPlasma dot com or MountAVision dot com.

So Blaine has a plasma now? I'd like to check that out - i'm sure he'd have a great setup. I wanted to go to his house for the Monty Sidhu rememberance gathering (RIP Monty) the other weekend but the GF had already made reservations for me and some family members for a sunset dinner at the Lobster at the exact same damn time as Blaine's get together so i am sorry i could not pay my respects to Monty's memory. Only 37. Wow. I still can't believe it, but i've had other friends go the exact same way.

And i was notified of the BMW Club Autocross too late - the GF already made some sort of big secret plan for my 51st birthday on that weekend and i can't get out of it (i tried)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/12900038

Oh wait, I just realized both the 1150 and 5080 are 768p, so disregard the last post about saving "a ton", I was thinking about the 50" 1080p elite

Yeah, if you're going to get the ISF and keep this long-term (not that common with the upgrade freaks on this forum), and you can afford it, I'd probably go with the Elite also. But I can't afford either one, so all I can do is dispense baseless advice on the internet

I appreciate the baseless advice! Yeah I did notice that a lot of people upgrade their AV equipment a lot here. For me, it's buy-once and hold on for a long time (ex: I bought a top o' the line DELL PC 450mhz...back in 1997!!) Still have it and NOW it's finally time to upgrade, what with DSL prices being so cheap.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/12917115

I didn't realize you had a $3K budget cap so that means no 1080p for you.

I'm setting the budget for myself, I mean yeah I could spend more but there's no need to.

Quote:

But i think i've seen you wearing eyeglasses once or twice, so your vision probably isn't as acute as mine is

Haha....what you've seen me wearing is SUNGLASSES! Not eyeglasses. I don't wear them, nor contacts, as I have 20-20 vision.

Quote:

But i have to ask, why did you not consider the Panasonic TH-50PZ700U 1080p set?

No particular reason, just brand name of Pioneer was enough for me. I'm sure the Panny's (as they're called) are fine.

Quote:

The big question is do you really need to spend the extra dollars for an Elite? Aside from the extra year of warranty and some more user-menu picture adjustability what else about it would make it worth the extra cost? I believe that if you're having it ISF calibrated, an ISF'd 5080HD will look virtually the same as an ISF'd Elite. If that's true then the extra cost of the Elilte probably isn't warranted in your case.

Really? Never thought of that. Again I'm "new" at this, so all of this technology, I'm trying to catch-up on. So in theory I don't need to spend the $$$ but from reading and then hearing the sales rep at Magnolia tell me the difference (better video processing), I figured why not. But if I can get almost exact PQ (picture quality) on an 5080-HD with ISF calibration then yeah that looks like a better route.

Quote:

I like Batpig's idea - the money you save by not buying the Elite can be applied toward getting it ISF'd, and getting a $140 / 4-year Mack Extended Warranty from fellow AVS members at ClevelandPlasma dot com or MountAVision dot com.

See Batpig...you're advice isn't so baseless after all!
Well then in that case, I can go to Invision's website and get the 5080-HD or at least anywhere online. So it's 1yr-warranty, plus 1yr-credit card warranty, then buy the $140 4yr extended warranty.

Quote:

So Blaine has a plasma now? I'd like to check that out - i'm sure he'd have a great setup. I wanted to go to his house for the Monty Sidhu rememberance gathering (RIP Monty) the other weekend but the GF had already made reservations for me and some family members for a sunset dinner at the Lobster at the exact same damn time as Blaine's get together so i am sorry i could not pay my respects to Monty's memory. Only 37. Wow. I still can't believe it, but i've had other friends go the exact same way.

And i was notified of the BMW Club Autocross too late - the GF already made some sort of big secret plan for my 51st birthday on that weekend and i can't get out of it (i tried)

Yes Blaine has a "professional display" (i.e. no speakers, very minimal add-ons), 42" (forget the brand name). Yes I heard about the memorial at his place with fellow BMWCCA instructors from Kelley, and also Hoa. So sad about Monty.

Anyway, if you can't make the LA chap auto-x, the next one is the SD chapter, in 2 weeks but on a Sunday.

Gio

·
Registered
309 Posts
I read through your decision making process and I think you're making a wise, well-informed decision -- IMO, you'll be getting the best PQ for the money. Given your seating distance, the 768p Kuro definitely seems the way to go. I also would definitely push you to get the ISF calibration regardless of whether you go for the 5080 or Elite -- they can do a lot more than any average user can with a DVE disc.

The Elite has more calibration options for an ISF calibrator, but from what I've been told, the 5080's calibrate very nicely and so depending on how much of a stickler you are for absolutely perfect color accuracy, you could save a lot of money by skipping the Elite and satisfying yourself that there won't be much of a difference in PQ post-ISF calibration.

But definitely make sure to put a good 500 hours or so into it before gettng the ISF calibration, since the blues tend to be extremely strong in the early hours of the Kuros. You may want to add yourself to a waiting list now though if you're looking for a high-demand calibrator who does regional tours.

Grab yourself a blu-ray player sooner or later -- if it doesnt kill you that the PS3 isn't compatible with universal remotes, it's a fully featured player that works great as a media center for streaming from your PC, and would allow you to play a game or two. The difference between HD Cable and Blu-ray is HUGE on a high-quality 50" plasma like the 5080.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinthar /forum/post/12921234

I read through your decision making process and I think you're making a wise, well-informed decision -- IMO, you'll be getting the best PQ for the money. Given your seating distance, the 768p Kuro definitely seems the way to go. I also would definitely push you to get the ISF calibration regardless of whether you go for the 5080 or Elite -- they can do a lot more than any average user can with a DVE disc.

The Elite has more calibration options for an ISF calibrator, but from what I've been told, the 5080's calibrate very nicely and so depending on how much of a stickler you are for absolutely perfect color accuracy, you could save a lot of money by skipping the Elite and satisfying yourself that there won't be much of a difference in PQ post-ISF calibration.

But definitely make sure to put a good 500 hours or so into it before gettng the ISF calibration, since the blues tend to be extremely strong in the early hours of the Kuros. You may want to add yourself to a waiting list now though if you're looking for a high-demand calibrator who does regional tours.

Grab yourself a blu-ray player sooner or later -- if it doesnt kill you that the PS3 isn't compatible with universal remotes, it's a fully featured player that works great as a media center for streaming from your PC, and would allow you to play a game or two. The difference between HD Cable and Blu-ray is HUGE on a high-quality 50" plasma like the 5080.

Thanks for the comments Zinthar. For a big ticket item such as this, I asked around, and was pointed to forums such as this one, and then used the "SEARCH" feature to do my research!! LOL Because I know when I read car forums and I have "newbies" ask basic questions that could've been answered by searching I didn't want to fall into that category.

As for the 500hrs, based on assuming I watch 3hrs of TV a day, 7days/week, roughly about 5 months with basic calibration before I call in the big hired guns. I think now the price gap of $1k would be great to buy other things (i.e. DVD player, calibration, or A/V receiver, or even a great TV stand, extended warranty).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts