AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current player, a Pioneer Elite DV 38A, is the weak link in my system, and I am looking to upgrade. I have narrowed my search to 3 possibilities, the Ayre D1, the Linn Unidisk or the Denon 5900. People seem to like the Denon, but if one of the other 2 do a better job and are worth the extra cost (whatever that means), I'd be happy to do it. My player would feed two displays, a Runco DTV 991 w/ a 100" Stewart Screen, or a 64" Pioneer Elite 710 HD. I am currently running the component out to the Pioneer, and the other output thru a Faroudja NR Series scaler to the Runco. I am also using the Pioneer 49txi.

What are other folks opinions?

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Ray,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice system.

Hate to give you a nonanswer to your question, but I tend to think that at the level of DVD players you're looking at, its going to be hard to get an answer that isn't somehow biased based on what someone else bought.

I would be careful that sometimes what we think is an upgrade isn't because it doesn't work that well with our other componentsl.

The hard answer is to find a high end dealer that carries these players and see how they perform. The good news is that Pioneer TVs and Runco projectors are usually found in high end dealers showroom so you can compare them based on your set or one very similar to it.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the thought. I will eventually do that, but was actually LOOKING for biased, real-world type thoughts. This is kind of like going to the car hop and asking whether a Chevy is better than a Ford. (Showing my age)

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the thought. I will eventually do that, but was actually LOOKING for biased, real-world type thoughts. This is kind of like going to the car hop and asking whether a Chevy is better than a Ford. (Showing my age)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.