AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

We've been doing alot of research on TVs and have decided that we want to go with a plasma. However, the problem is that we already have a cabinet that fits perfectly in our family room (we have a recess in the wall). So the dimensions are: 47.75 W x 32.5 H x 19.25 D.

A few questions:

1. Would a tight fit create any problems with heat? We would use the stand for the TV since it wouldn't be wall mounted so there would be room under the TV. Also there would be room behind for the warm air to go out and up.

2. Do you know of any nice plasmas that would fit those dimensions? Keep in mind we'll need to use the pedestal since it won't be wall mounted. Also, we could probably squeeze another .5 inch in the height department if that would make a difference. So far I've looked at the Pioneer 5070, Samsumg 5073, and the Panasonic TH-50PX60U but all are JUST BARELY larger than our dimensions. I'm talking like .25 to .5 inches in some cases. Darn!

Our viewing distance is about 9 feet from the couch and more than that from the dining/kitchen area so we think 50" is good. If we need to go down to 46" then we can but only want to do that if necessary.

Thanks in advance!!

-j

· Registered
4,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesaru /forum/post/0

Hi Everyone,

We've been doing alot of research on TVs and have decided that we want to go with a plasma. However, the problem is that we already have a cabinet that fits perfectly in our family room (we have a recess in the wall). So the dimensions are: 47.75 W x 32.5 H x 19.25 D.

A few questions:

1. Would a tight fit create any problems with heat? We would use the stand for the TV since it wouldn't be wall mounted so there would be room under the TV. Also there would be room behind for the warm air to go out and up.

2. Do you know of any nice plasmas that would fit those dimensions? Keep in mind we'll need to use the pedestal since it won't be wall mounted. Also, we could probably squeeze another .5 inch in the height department if that would make a difference. So far I've looked at the Pioneer 5070, Samsumg 5073, and the Panasonic TH-50PX60U but all are JUST BARELY larger than our dimensions. I'm talking like .25 to .5 inches in some cases. Darn!

Our viewing distance is about 9 feet from the couch and more than that from the dining/kitchen area so we think 50" is good. If we need to go down to 46" then we can but only want to do that if necessary.

Thanks in advance!!

-j

Hi

My 2 cents, I would really re-think getting a certain display size based on the size of your wall recess or cabinet size. Being limited to the size of display you can have because of a cabinet seems a shame.

I would take a long hard look at your room and make sure you cant put the display on a different wall or something.

I have had every size of plasma (I keep going bigger) I now have a 60" Pioneer sitting on my mantel in front of my wall recess, when I get a bigger plasma (soon to happen) I will run some 2x4's across my recess, drywall over it and mount my bigger plasma were the recess used to be. Even better yet, I can hide all my wires in the old recess area.

Hope that all made some sense.

Welcome to the forum.

Davyo

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, and yep that makes sense. At this point though we really need to work with those dimensions though. At some point in the future I'd love to have a bigger screen and possibly even cover up the recess but that will take alot more time and money.

Another reason we're looking at a 50" is because that fits into our budget as well. I considered moving it to another wall but the only place would be above the fireplace. Then it would be really high up and subject to extra heat from the fireplace. That's really the only other place we could put it.

We'll keep lookin'!

-james

· Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesaru /forum/post/0

Thanks for the reply, and yep that makes sense. At this point though we really need to work with those dimensions though. At some point in the future I'd love to have a bigger screen and possibly even cover up the recess but that will take alot more time and money.

Another reason we're looking at a 50" is because that fits into our budget as well. I considered moving it to another wall but the only place would be above the fireplace. Then it would be really high up and subject to extra heat from the fireplace. That's really the only other place we could put it.

We'll keep lookin'!

-james

Consider using a Chief PDR-U articulating wall mount inside your bookcase. This mount extends ~37" from wall and is rated for 200lbs. capacity. Another nice benefit with this mount is you can move your plasma to remove unwanted reflections. Bringing plasma 18" closer to your viewing (37"-19") is good.

Also, I considered mounting plasma above my fireplace, but having plasma at eye level is the way to go - IMO.

I went with the TH-42PHD9UK. Wish I had room the the 50".

Pioneer 5070 or Panasonic TH-50PHD9UK (includes 5-year warranty) would be my recommendation.

edit - and.... NEC 50XR6.....

powerdyne

Panasonic => NEC => Fujitsu => Panasonic

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the wall mount idea. Good idea but unfortunately out wall unit has doors that close so it would be nice to keep the display hidden at times. But we'll consider the arm because it may still be worth it.

We're definitely considering the Panasonic TH-50PHD9UK. That will actually fit inside of our cabinte perfectly. Will just barely have room on the sides but I think it will be OK. Even with the stand it will still fit so that may be the ticket. And even adding the stand and HDMI input doesn't bring the price up that much.

I'll keep an eye on prices and may go for it when a good deal comes up.

Thanks.

-j

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.