AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am very new at this, and am not very tech literate, but I've been reading your site and love it! I am trying to choose a projector that would primarily be for business, but could be alternately used at home. This projector would be used primarily for powerpoint, video, some animation, in the educational venue and corporate sphere.

I am interested in a couple of them, based on reviews. One is the Mitsubishi ES100. It has some features I really like for the educational venue, like multiple audio inputs and variable audio out. It also has the 3yr warranty and 2yr. repair.

It got great reviews off of projectorreviews, but I am concerned it is not XGA resolution. However, it was touted as having terrific compression technology that would even support a 1280x800 on a widescreen laptop! But I am thinking at this point, computers are now at the minumum resolution XGA, and I would be limiting my longevity with this product by going SVGA. I even wonder with so many laptops going widescreen, if I shouldn't get something that has the 16:0 aspect ratio.

I am not sure what the contrast is on this, either.

The EX-100 is a little too pricey for me @ $1500, though it does have the XGA.

Another projector recommended was the CP670K and the CP710K. They are LCD's, and their contrast is around 400. But is that comparable to a 1800 contrast on the DLP? Do you know anything about any of these ? This recommendation came from Boxlight.

I was interested in something for about $1000 or maybe a tad more, that would give me the best value in terms of high quality, user ease, and warranty. Can you help me? I thank you very much in advance!

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
For business use you want XGA and you want the most brightness you can afford - you can care less about contrast. For home use you want widescreen - and just enough brightness with the most calibrated contrast. There are units like the Infocus X3 that try to cover both of those markets thru compromise - but make sure you discuss your business application with your reseller first. What size screen, how large is your audience, is it installed or portable, etc.

Do not buy into compression technology for business use - this is provided for ease of setup so you do not need to reconfig your laptop to get a picture. Most compression technology is extremely hard to read anything on your desktop. The spec you want to know is the native resolution of the panel- not the compressed input resolutions.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I second the case of concentrating only on XGA 4:3 projectors. I would tend to ignore the LCD ones and focus only on DLP.... Usually, The contrast is too low on LCD to even consider for home use if you want to have a "dual-purpose" projector.

For business use, I would also look at portability... Look at the size of the Infocus LP70+.... That is the size of projector that you can carry with you in carry-on luggage at airports... There are other comparable ones to the Infocus LP70+... Projector Central has a review of a few of them.

I have seen the Infocus X3, and I believe it throws a pretty nice picture as well; just is a larger bulkier projector to lug around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for getting me straight on that. I will stay away from the LCD.

So I need to stay focused on resolution and brightness.

I noticed the infocus x3, but there is only one year warranty. I also have noticed on your boards, that you highly recommend the Sharp Xr-10x. However, it has no DVI input.........? What difference will that make? I can get the Sharp for $100.00 less than the X3 with a 3 yr. warranty.

But I also don't see this projector recommended by alot of the companies in your banner.

Get back with me if you can!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I own the sharp XR-10X and love it, but it is what I consider a pretty big projector for lugging around. I have it ceiling mounted and don't ever plan to unmount it. I would consider it comparable to the Infocus X3, except that for me the Sharp XR-10X has "picture shift" which is useful for moving the wide-screen image higher within a 4:3 screen. I use that feature for only bottom masking then. The image is great and I don't really care that much whether or not the projector has a DVI connection. Having a DVI connection probably would increase the image quality by less than 5 percent in my opinion.

You have to remember that you said "business first". At my job, I recommend the Infocus LP70+ units, which the company I work at has purchased. They really are a great portable projector for moving around the office and "flying with" on airplanes. Don't have to worry about them going through luggage check-in and those underpaid rough baggage handlers when they fit on carry-on.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
If you are an independent consultant or trainer that will depend on your projector having a 2nd business day swap will be a consideration as you can't just phone the home office to fedex you a replacement pool projector.

There is the new 1280x768 cross over DMD from TI that we've only seen in HT projectors at the moment. But its supposed to be low cost so we may see it in business offerings soon.

But Kevin is right - resolution and brightness are your key video elements. Weight and ruggedness your physical ones. Having lugged a 20 lb projector and desktop replacement laptop around for demos the small lightweight projectors and thin laptops look mighty good for folks these days.

Nigel

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for your posts. I think the weight is something to think about, but for me, I won't be going out of town that much. It will be mostly local travel. If I had to make a trade-off, I would rather have the lumens rather than the light weight. The Infocus L70 has 1700 lumens, and I don't want to go under 2000. Maybe that wouldn't make much difference.

I am an independent. Yes, the warranty and 24 hr turnaround is important. Nigel, I am not familiar with the last product you mentioned.

I talked with Projector Solutions, and he swayed me from Sharp because they have had problems with customer service, and Sharp honoring the warranties. Have you heard anything? Other than the weight, Sharp certainly has alot going for it!

I thought maybe I should throw in a couple of hundred dollars more and get either the Optima Ep739 or 719, or the Mitsubishi EX100. The Optima offers a second bulb with purchase, and it has 2600 lumens. It would cost me $1220 with a 2yr warranty. The Mitsi offers the 3yr, plus a no questions ask on the bulb for 1 yr or 1000 hours. However, neither offer a 24 hour express warranty. According to Projector Solutions, neither of these products have caused problems for their customers.

Any information on either of these, would be much appreciated as well. There are so many choices, that it can almost immobilize a person from making a decision!

Thank you again.............I just want to get the most value for my money.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
The new Infocus N76 is based on this DMD as are the LG AN110 and Mitsu HC3000. Perhaps we'll see a projector based on this chip but oriented for presentations (ie brighter)

I own a sharp m20x and that series was a tad buggy. From what I remember from the forums, the owners with bad units got their replacement and loaner projectors from Sharp pretty much as expected. This was over a year ago so your mileage may vary. Search this forum for the Sharp M20X and see if you find any bad stories about replacements.

I dunno what to tell you...my projector never had problems till just recently (I moved it to a ceiling mount and now its not happy) and its out of warranty I think. Definately out of the 24 hour swap part. Possibly out of the 3 year one.

Depending on where you live you might be able to look at some from a presentation projector dealer. I bought mine at one that did both brick and mortar and internet sales so they were competitive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nigel, you seem to offer some good insight on what to look for regarding business. Yes, as an independent, that 24 hr turnaround seems essentional.

But as I was reading through some of these threads, I also saw where the Optima 719 has a 4.5 lb weight for easy portability, and you can buy an additional warranty with bulb replacement. The Optima 719 also has a higher contrast and DVI input, that might make it more versatile for home use. It has the Darkchip2, but doesn't have the 3 colorwheel like the Sharp.

What do you think would be more important in the long run?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.